KG Megatron vs KG Stax T2
May 18, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #46 of 80
I've only just received the 300b version and am allowing for break-in and finding the right tube combination. But on first blush, it is very much the equal of the T2 but with more harmonic richness, density, flow, etc. all attributes of the 300b. Where the T2 is energetic, precise and emphasizes the leading edge of notes, the Megatron XL expands on the trailing end of notes, allowing them to bloom, hang and flow in space. Switching between the two is quite fun. I'll be able to comment further with more time.
Wow!! So happy to see someone finally built one.
We need to hear more impressions! How was the wait time?

May 18, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #47 of 80
The Megatron XL was made by soren_brix. The wait wasn't too bad. Soren was a pleasure to deal with and guided me throughout the process. Can't say enough good things about Soren.
One personal goal behind the commission was to find an amp for the X9000 and ShangSr that built upon their strengths and addressed some of their shortcomings. Even at this early stage, the goal seems to have been met with resounding success.

May 18, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #48 of 80
The Megatron XL was made by soren_brix. The wait wasn't too bad. Soren was a pleasure to deal with and guided me throughout the process. Can't say enough good things about Soren.
One personal goal behind the commission was to find an amp for the X9000 and ShangSr that built upon their strengths and addressed some of their shortcomings. Even at this early stage, the goal seems to have been met with resounding success.
Have you heard the original megatron?
I wasn’t that impressed with the Shang on mine but feel the mt is the best pairing for the x9k/009 (although I have only heard a diy t2 not the eksonic)

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #50 of 80
OUTSTANDING! How did you make the choice between the 300B and 20B version? 300B does Look nicer :)

EML20B300B.JPG

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #54 of 80
Telefunken smooth plate 12au7 and 12ax7 tubes. Awaiting the arrival of a few others after Soren's recommendations, including some Telefunken E80CC tubes.
Teefunken ECC83 was also my favorite, in the first stage sometimes Tele ECC82 or the even more energetic sounding ECC80. Curious which one you will like better.

May 19, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #55 of 80
Teefunken ECC83 was also my favorite, in the first stage sometimes Tele ECC82 or the even more energetic sounding ECC80. Curious which one you will like better.
I’ve gone back to the TADs and think I prefer them to the Tele in the 83/82 spots. Maybe I’m weird.

Over time I felt the ecc80 was too strong and ruined the style of the amp.

May 19, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #56 of 80
I’ve gone back to the TADs and think I prefer them to the Tele in the 83/82 spots. Maybe I’m weird.

Over time I felt the ecc80 was too strong and ruined the style of the amp.
I do not know the TAD, but I understand that if the ECC80 could be a little bit too much. In my case it depended also on which source I used.

May 20, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #59 of 80
Telefunken smooth plate 12au7 and 12ax7 tubes. Awaiting the arrival of a few others after Soren's recommendations, including some Telefunken E80CC tubes.
Can I ask which tubes you tried on the T2 and which you prefer? I have a lot of (most for input) tubes now and more on its way. Interested in the findings of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back