Melodic Artification Alter Ego Discussion and Impression Thread
May 18, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #16 of 17
I have updated Alter Ego cable pairing observations for anyone interested. Thanks and credit to Leo @MusicTeck for doing the homework and conducting the afore-referenced full scale cable investigation. As it’s been reported around town, with references to @Chang SG Audio’s Ulan 8-wire silver cable, a MA silver alloy cable in the making, and Leo’s shootout winner, the Astral Acoustics Eclipse, silver is the way to go here. This is now the 5th cable I’ve tried with Alter Ego (including the stock). My previous favorite being a PlusSound gold and silver Exos… I believe that is what it is. It has served as a 10’ cable I keep in the studio for patching into balanced desktop gear.

Pairing the AE (neutral setting) with the Eclipse, the improved layering of the instruments along with the presentation of a spacious 3D axis (and the influence of the open back design) make this in ear monitor sound huge. Height and depth are impressive. Treble response is no longer as subdued or nuanced as with stock, or with the 8-wire Cyclone cable. There is great clarity here. To my ear, the AE/ Eclipse plays things pretty dynamic and does something to produce a more engaging and incredibly detailed listen. There have been a number of “holy crap” moments while playing dense industrial techno such as Surgeon’s Crash Recoil. That was fun. I can imagine some preferring a more mature top end, but driven by the R8II (Class A/Med Gain/Vol 47), this is as good as I’ve heard this already wonderful monitor sound.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #17 of 17
Is there anyone out there?

I have the Ulan 8-wire in hand. Further observations should commence soon.

At this point I’ve spent some time with AE and can reasonably say it is the best daily use professional/hifi in ear monitor I’ve ever heard. It is technically proficient and it’s tonally correct (for me).

For anyone who has gotten a set, can you name a better vocal monitor under 3K?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back