Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
May 3, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #976 of 1,004
I went from a Stellar P3 to a PSM 156. The main reason was that my Dac manufacturer(dCS) did not recommend the use of a regenerator but are noncommittal on conditioners. My most used amplifier is a Woo WA33 EE that is a hummer. The P3 brought a blacker background and reduced the hum to a degree. The PSM 156 has the same black background(or better) and the amp hum has been reduced to almost zero. And of course I am no longer tempting the fates of the Rossini's warranty. I would like to try a Groundmaster if someone had a reasonably priced one for sale.

May 4, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #977 of 1,004
Did you replace the iec inlet on the PSM 156? If so any improvement?
I have replaced it. Unfortunately I had to cut the casework, as it was a few mm larger.
Haven't listened yet, as my system is down.

May 4, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #978 of 1,004
Did you replace the iec inlet on the PSM 156? If so any improvement?
From what I read, the Furutech ncf fi33 IEC inlet requires lots of burn in.
Which I'm doing in the meantime.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #979 of 1,004
I went from a Stellar P3 to a PSM 156. The main reason was that my Dac manufacturer(dCS) did not recommend the use of a regenerator but are noncommittal on conditioners. My most used amplifier is a Woo WA33 EE that is a hummer. The P3 brought a blacker background and reduced the hum to a degree. The PSM 156 has the same black background(or better) and the amp hum has been reduced to almost zero. And of course I am no longer tempting the fates of the Rossini's warranty. I would like to try a Groundmaster if someone had a reasonably priced one for sale.
Thanks for your feedback. I was using the PS Audio P3 onlly for my Dac, Streamer and Server and while it sounded good initially, the sound deteriorated a bit over time. I have had it for 3 years. Recently, i disconnected it and i am now using a high quality mains block that is wired with pure silver cable. The immediate result was much deeper and tighter bass but the top end is quite pronounced. Maybe it will settle down after some time. Since i need four sockets I have ordered a PSM 156 with upgraded Furutech schuko sockets and inlet. Hopefully it wont restrict dynamics and bring some refinement. The dealer said 300 hours burn in.

May 5, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #981 of 1,004
Thanks. I just ordered a PSM 156 with Furutech Schuko sockets and inlet.
Where could I find some more info on those upgrades? Didn’t know these are even offered (only knew about the ultimate mains cable).

Anyone here have any experience with the Lab12 gordian, standalone or in comparison to the PSM156?

May 5, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #982 of 1,004
Where could I find some more info on those upgrades? Didn’t know these are even offered (only knew about the ultimate mains cable).

Anyone here have any experience with the Lab12 gordian, standalone or in comparison to the PSM156?
Please see Audio Consultants website in the UK. This is a Special Edition designed by Audio Consultants in partnership with Puritan Audio. Also see review in HiFi+.

May 5, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #983 of 1,004
Please see Audio Consultants website in the UK. This is a Special Edition designed by Audio Consultants in partnership with Puritan Audio. Also see review in HiFi+.
Found it. Cheers. Very interesting. Too bad that this is in UK. Don’t see a trial working out with customs etc.

Will get in the „regular“ PSM156 in a couple of weeks to compare with the gordian. Let’s see…

May 5, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #984 of 1,004
Any one looking to buy a Puritan RouteMaster? I have one that is in mint condition that I have listed, and I am selling it super cheap ($300).

1000005368.jpg

PM me if interested. :grin:

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #985 of 1,004
Hi all, I'm a soon to be owner of a PSM156 I figured it was worth posting a question here.
I've heard the PSM156 is extremely good at eliminating mains noise but much less so at eliminating noise generated by devices connected to it.

I was thus wondering if it is recommended to connect everything to the PSM156 (LPS dac + amp and SMPS preamp + PC + monitor) or to connect only the linear power supply components to the PSM156?

Anyone with experience or insight on this?

May 7, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #986 of 1,004
Hi all, I'm a soon to be owner of a PSM156 I figured it was worth posting a question here.
I've heard the PSM156 is extremely good at eliminating mains noise but much less so at eliminating noise generated by devices connected to it.

I was thus wondering if it is recommended to connect everything to the PSM156 (LPS dac + amp and SMPS preamp + PC + monitor) or to connect only the linear power supply components to the PSM156?

Anyone with experience or insight on this?
I can only tell that I connected into PSM156 Dac, preamp, power amp, headamp and once I will have it also dedicated streamer (or DDC). If I would play music from the computer, I would connect the computer as well. It has 6 sockets which are supposed to be completely isolated, so if all of them are utilized in the chain, that's for me the best use case of the box.

I can also confirm the hum/noise generated by my power amplifier and speakers is lower now with PSM156. Not completely silent, but significantly less. To such extent I don't recognize it even from the distance of 0.5m between my ear and the device/speaker. Before (without PSM156) it was more noticable, although still not distracting for the music listening.

May 7, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #987 of 1,004
I can only tell that I connected into PSM156 Dac, preamp, power amp, headamp and once I will have it also dedicated streamer (or DDC). If I would play music from the computer, I would connect the computer as well. It has 6 sockets which are supposed to be completely isolated, so if all of them are utilized in the chain, that's for me the best use case of the box.

I can also confirm the hum/noise generated by my power amplifier and speakers is lower now with PSM156. Not completely silent, but significantly less. To such extent I don't recognize it even from the distance of 0.5m between my ear and the device/speaker. Before (without PSM156) it was more noticable, although still not distracting for the music listening.
Ok thanks for the reply! That is good to hear as I only have a single grounded socket in my house so connecting everything to the psm156 is by far the most practical solution :)

May 7, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #988 of 1,004
Ok thanks for the reply! That is good to hear as I only have a single grounded socket in my house so connecting everything to the psm156 is by far the most practical solution :)
sure :). For me the addition of PSM156 did a lot to the sound. Can't describe it perfectly but it's just more of everything (energy, bass, separation, details), and lack of nothing really. Especially the bass difference in my room is just like a slamp into face, you just know it happened.
I really like the PSM156 and do not regret buying it. Since I have it I turn up my hifi system much more often, even daily. That's the best proof of how big impact it has.

May 7, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #989 of 1,004
It arrived today and plugged everything in. It's too early to say anything about bass, energy, separation or details but there's one thing that sprung out immediately.
I keep hearing about people hearing power conditioners and noticing more "relaxation" in their music, or even they felt like the music was playing at a slower pace. I always wrote those impressions off as audiophile nonsense..

Well that's exactly what hit me the first two songs I played with the PSM156 in the system! Music sounds less busy and honestly like it's being played back at a slightly lower pace. Very odd but this relaxed presentation allows me to focus on any part of the music I like.

Always been sceptical of power conditioning but this one is a keeper for sure! :)

May 7, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #990 of 1,004
Well that's exactly what hit me the first two songs I played with the PSM156 in the system!
This might be even my case, maybe it has just different impact for me. The bass I instantly heard tighter and deeper at the same time. It was like until now my speakers were all the time working well under their real potential and now they finally revealed.

Now I’m more used to this new standard, but still, that impact is clearly there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back