TCA HPA-10 headphone amplifier - Discussion & Impressions
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

elira

1000+ Head-Fier
1641484558797.png

From the website (link):
The TCA HPA-10 is a nimble, yet powerful, headphone amplifier. It was designed to provide high performance in a small and highly portable package. Its diminutive size allows the HPA-10 to tuck into small spaces, including under the monitor at your workstation.

The HPA-10 has no sonic signature. As result, it offers a precise and fatigue-free rendition of the source material.

Key Features of the HPA-10

• World class performance as characterized by ultra-low harmonic distortion, extraordinarily low intermodulation distortion, and ultra-low noise floor.
  • Input: RCA (unbalanced).
  • Output: ¼" (6.3 mm) phone jack.
  • Gain: +10 dB (3.2×).
  • ALPS RK097 volume potentiometer.
  • Mute circuit which prevents clicks and pops in your headphones when the power is turned on and minimizes pops when the power is turned off.
  • Protection against excessive DC voltage on the amplifier output. This protects your headphones in the case of a catastrophic amplifier failure.

Output Power

The HPA-10 provides 1.25 W into 32 Ω and 250 mW into 300 Ω. This is plenty to reach ear-splitting levels with the vast majority of headphones on the market.

Ultra-Low Distortion

I firmly believe that audio components should have as little impact on the sound quality as possible. This is why I optimize all TCA designs for the lowest possible distortion. The low total harmonic distortion (THD) and intermodulation distortion (IMD) of the HPA-10 result in a realistic, engaging, and fatigue-free listening experience.

Ultra-Low Noise

The total noise of the HPA-10 measures 1.6 µV RMS (A-weighted) within the audio band. This results in a dynamic range of 130 dB and a signal-to-noise ratio of 131 dB. To put this into perspective, 130 dB is the dynamic range from the quietest perceptible sound to the threshold of pain! Due to this enormous dynamic range, the HPA-10 will allow you to experience an incredible level of detail, both in the quietest passages and in the crescendos of the music.

Designed, Assembled, and Tested in Canada

The HPA-10 is designed, manufactured, and tested in Canada. The raw circuit board is made in Ontario. The circuit assembly and test are performed in Calgary. The chassis is made in Japan. The electronic components are sourced from authorized distributors in the USA and Canada.

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 5
And there has never been a single post after the first. Has no one on Head-Fi ever even tried this amp?

Sep 3, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 5
And there has never been a single post after the first. Has no one on Head-Fi ever even tried this amp?
I got it, gain is a bit high, I tried to make a portable thing with it given the 5V power supply, you can power it with a powerful usb port or a power bank, but I never got something interesting out of it. It’s a good amp, very small.

Sep 3, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 5
If I was to get one, it would be for desktop use and so I would look at the HPA-1. Pricey though.

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 5
I have one as well and use it as a great portable amp for travel. I pair it with my Mojo 2 and ZMF Aeolus. Great sound. Super clean without adding any color or coming across cold. The noise floor is super black as well. It just gets out of the way of the music. Really it's a great travel partner when you need something or if you limited space on your desk but need something more powerful to drive.

There's a been a couple in the used market for good prices. I think it's an underrated little amp.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back