The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 7, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #88,516 of 90,220
Having a listen now, good stuff.

And sorry for your loss. I know it was a few years back but I also know the feelings don’t pass quickly with someone close.

A massive personal loss for all us friends & family, and a massive loss for music. He was only 46.

His legacy lasts forever through his music & all of hearts.

We should all make the most of our time here... don't take any day for granted. I became essentially disabled 4.5 years ago and have spent 90% of that time lying down. It might get better, but I just focus on the positives & even though I live a fairly sedentary lifestyle, I run a business, have an amazing wife & friends & fortunately my main interests are music, film, reading & gaming... I'm generally comfortable & lead as full a life as I can. 💚🙏

May 7, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #88,517 of 90,220
Thank you kindly, and I'd say it's at the very least equal to the R8 II and WM1Z in terms of technical performance (stage, resolution, imaging, separation). It's also got a darker background in my opinion, which makes these metrics easier to pick out.

I'd love to get more feedback from others who have heard it with their own IEMs and music.
Just ordered one today, I will try to write my impressions when i get sufficient listening time with it.

May 7, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #88,518 of 90,220
A massive personal loss for all us friends & family, and a massive loss for music. He was only 46.

We should all make the most of our time here... don't take any day for granted. I became essentially disabled 4.5 years ago and have spent 90% of that time lying down. It might get better, but I just focus on the positives & even though I live a fairly sedentary lifestyle, I run a business, have an amazing wife & friends & fortunately my main interests are music, film, reading & gaming... I'm generally comfortable & lead as full a life as I can. 💚🙏

Good on you mate.

I am 56 and of that age when one realises they are not getting any younger. I had a health scare three years ago, thankfully good now but never a guarantee, and people around me are starting to have a few concerns themselves. Had a couple of other things that weighed me down but have moved forward.

Until life kicks you in the balls a few times you don’t realise how good you had it and how precious living a good life surrounded by good people really is.

All the best to you.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #88,519 of 90,220
Mjolnir has a buddy… I decided to pull the trigger on the SP3000T for something portable despite it having some usability quirks. I thought I’d be alright using the iPhone dongle or PAW S1 even for shorter sessions but I just find using my phone way too annoying.

IMG_0143.jpeg

While it may not “drive” Storm to its maximum potential I love the synergy in tonality it brings with its warmer and fuller mid range and immersive imaging. Storm still sounds ultra-technical from just about anything so it’s a worthy trade off imo. I’m sending the demo unit and to MT today and should have my own unit by the end of the week.

I did test the FiiO M23 and M15s also. The M23 for me was a bit disappointing. It’s got a warmer tilt but just lacks resolution or separation to where I can’t justify the $699 over using it instead of my PAW S1 on the go. The DAP itself has great power and drive but overall I think the money can be better spent. The M15s drives Storm very well… transients feel hard-edged and the bass is incredibly clean and grippy but it takes the presentation into something that sounds too digital. The mid range comes off a bit lifeless and gives me the feeling of listening to bits and not music. There’s a dryness between this combination that doesn’t do it for me.

I think the Lotoo Mjolnir has really spoiled me in how it handles an ultra technical and neutral sound without lacking in engagement and ability to draw you into the music.

IMG_0152.jpeg

May 7, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #88,520 of 90,220

A man admires your positive outlook in life. 🙂

May 7, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #88,521 of 90,220
Mjolnir has a buddy… I decided to pull the trigger on the SP3000T for something portable despite it having some usability quirks. I thought I’d be alright using the iPhone dongle or PAW S1 even for shorter sessions but I just find using my phone way too annoying.

IMG_0143.jpeg

While it may not “drive” Storm to its maximum potential I love the synergy in tonality it brings with its warmer and fuller mid range and immersive imaging. Storm still sounds ultra-technical from just about anything so it’s a worthy trade off imo. I’m sending the demo unit and to MT today and should have my own unit by the end of the week.

I did test the FiiO M23 and M15s also. The M23 for me was a bit disappointing. It’s got a warmer tilt but just lacks resolution or separation to where I can’t justify the $699 over using it instead of my PAW S1 on the go. The DAP itself has great power and drive but overall I think the money can be better spent. The M15s drives Storm very well… transients feel hard-edged and the bass is incredibly clean and grippy but it takes the presentation into something that sounds too digital. The mid range comes off a bit lifeless and gives me the feeling of listening to bits and not music. There’s a dryness between this combination that doesn’t do it for me.

I think the Lotoo Mjolnir has really spoiled me in how it handles an ultra technical and neutral sound without lacking in engagement and ability to draw you into the music.

IMG_0152.jpeg
Nice one. Just ordered 3KT too !

May 7, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #88,522 of 90,220
Nice one. Just ordered 3KT too !

Nice! Let me know what you think. I had some mental hurdles to overcome on buying this one, especially because the price of it compared to a used DAP from 2023 is quite high but at the end of the day I just went with what my ears were telling me.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #88,523 of 90,220

IMG_0143.jpeg

IMG_0152.jpeg
If someone with the Mjolnir has ordered the SP3KT, that's all the reassurance I needed. 😃
I've already ordered one, until it arrives I'm enjoying your photos and comments.

May 7, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #88,524 of 90,220
If someone with the Mjolnir has ordered the SP3KT, that's all the reassurance I needed. 😃
I've already ordered one, until it arrives I'm enjoying your photos and comments.

Well please understand where I am coming from too, the SP3000T does not come close to the Mjolnir in performance but I think it is very unfair to compare anything that I will use on the go to the Mjolnir. I went into it evaluating it for what it offered rather than what it did not. The SP3000T is a nice DAP, but there are better performing DAPs for significantly less money (mostly due to used price and depreciation) although they don't have this same sweet sounding mid range that I hear on the tubes with the 3000T. At the end of the day it's about compromising when it comes to portables and deciding what fits your own use case the best.

May 7, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #88,525 of 90,220
Well please understand where I am coming from too, the SP3000T does not come close to the Mjolnir in performance but I think it is very unfair to compare anything that I will use on the go to the Mjolnir. I went into it evaluating it for what it offered rather than what it did not. The SP3000T is a nice DAP, but there are better performing DAPs for significantly less money (mostly due to used price and depreciation) although they don't have this same sweet sounding mid range that I hear on the tubes with the 3000T. At the end of the day it's about compromising when it comes to portables and deciding what fits your own use case the best.
It's fine, I'm not holding you responsible for my ordering of the AK 😃. I've already placed the order some time ago. Nor am I delusional to think it'd come close to the Mjolnir.
You did test a number of options and still went for the AK. That's a good sign.
I'm not after the most technical sound, just looking for something a bit more different. Last time I chose between M11S and SP2000T, the latter 😉, and I'm still happy with it. Now it was a choice between 3000 and 3000T. To be honest, I did like the 3000 a lot, but just wanted something else.

May 7, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #88,526 of 90,220
May 7, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #88,527 of 90,220
After 18 months I'm really enjoying Mellianus iem's, I thought they were crap for a long while tbo but they're shining now. I tried changing the cable and tried multiple tips but have gone back to the supplied cable and pretty standard tips supplied with the Timeless. I don't think it's burn in especially it being an all ba set up but can't reason what else it could be? This is why I don't do reviews as I would've panned them when new.

Edit: Can't make my mind up on these.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #88,528 of 90,220
After 18 months I'm really enjoying Mellianus iem's, I thought they were crap for a long while tbo but they're shining now. I tried changing the cable and tried multiple tips but have gone back to the supplied cable and pretty standard tips supplied with the Timeless. I don't think it's burn in especially it being an all ba set up but can't reason what else it could be? This is why I don't do reviews as I would've panned them when new.
Melli is finally satisfied: Your brain has been burned in.

Enjoy the party!

drftr

May 7, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #88,529 of 90,220
May 7, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #88,530 of 90,220
Melli is finally satisfied: Your brain has been burned in.

Enjoy the party!

drftr

I've been reading about the Symphonium Crimson drftr and these comments could be very relevant:

'Upper treble can become harsh with a shallow fit'

'Takes some serious tip rolling to get seated and sounding properly good'

'The nozzle is fairly wide so tip experimentation is required'

So I'm inclined to think it's down to the tips, strange thing is though they're not a tight fit and come out with the least resistance, they're just resting in my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back