What would be natural upgrade from HD800?
May 18, 2024 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Kimmeri

100+ Head-Fier
Im selling mine. Im done with its anemic bass.

What I want next:

Some nice bass but no need to be bass cannons.

Big soundstage

Lots of detail

Bright leaning sound signature

Comfy wearing for hours and hours

Good for gaming

Under 3000 €/$ new or used

Thank.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 31
Utopia OG - it has a very similar tonality but improves the dynamics and fixes the bass and thin sound. Imaging is superior, resolution is superior. Retains the treble sparkle and extension that makes hd800 special. Biggest negative is you loose the diffuse sound that gives the HD800 its characteristic wide soundstage - which might be a deal breaker but owning both means no compromise.

May 18, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 31

What I want next:

Some nice bass but no need to be bass cannons.

Big soundstage

Lots of detail

Bright leaning sound signature

Comfy wearing for hours and hours

Good for gaming

Under 3000 €/$ new or used

Thank.
HE1000SE. Easy to drive. Big soundstage, though it presents differently than the HD800. The HD800 projects the sound out as far as any headphone I've heard, but all the sound projects at roughly the same apparent distance. It gives the soundstage a very airy, relaxed soundstage at the sacrifice if depth and corresponding three-dimensional imagery. The HE1000SE is capable of projecting sound as far out as the HD800, but it's also capable of imaging sound at much closer depths, resulting in more discrete imaging placement with more defined imagery. The He1000SE leans bright. If you love treble energy, you'll love the sound 1000SE sound signature. The 1000SEs are some of the most detailed headphones you can listen to on the planet-certainly more detailed than the 800s. Very comfortable design. Never had a problem wearing them for hours. The only criteria I can't speak to is gaming.

May 19, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 31
HE1000SE. Easy to drive. Big soundstage, though it presents differently than the HD800. The HD800 projects the sound out as far as any headphone I've heard, but all the sound projects at roughly the same apparent distance. It gives the soundstage a very airy, relaxed soundstage at the sacrifice if depth and corresponding three-dimensional imagery. The HE1000SE is capable of projecting sound as far out as the HD800, but it's also capable of imaging sound at much closer depths, resulting in more discrete imaging placement with more defined imagery. The He1000SE leans bright. If you love treble energy, you'll love the sound 1000SE sound signature. The 1000SEs are some of the most detailed headphones you can listen to on the planet-certainly more detailed than the 800s. Very comfortable design. Never had a problem wearing them for hours. The only criteria I can't speak to is gaming.
Yeah, this seems almost like a no brainer for current Hifiman prices. (1700 refurbished, 30 day return policy) I watched some reviews and read about it here and reddit and its supposed to be just like you described.
Its also a somewhat forgotten and underrated HP because the old 3500 was getting close to Susvara price and people who are willing to spend already ridiculous 3500 for a pair of headphones can easily afford Susvara and go for the big boy instead! Its funny how when the prices get ridiculously high for the specific product absolute differences start to actually matter less (supercars).
There is also a huge plus that Hifiman offers 3 year warranty for HE1000SE and the same goes for their refurbished cans.

I have the OG HE-6 6-screw version but its not comfy and not for all day listening of course. Stage is also not huge. For me its impossible to listen quietly just because every volume click from the amp HE-6 wakes up more and more and keeps sounding infinitely better so decibels tend to be quite high at the end of the listening session.
So Corey or anyone else that has heard both: How does the sound compare between HE1000SE and HE-6?

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 31
Yeah, this seems almost like a no brainer for current Hifiman prices. (1700 refurbished, 30 day return policy) I watched some reviews and read about it here and reddit and its supposed to be just like you described.
Its also a somewhat forgotten and underrated HP because the old 3500 was getting close to Susvara price and people who are willing to spend already ridiculous 3500 for a pair of headphones can easily afford Susvara and go for the big boy instead! Its funny how when the prices get ridiculously high for the specific product absolute differences start to actually matter less (supercars).
There is also a huge plus that Hifiman offers 3 year warranty for HE1000SE and the same goes for their refurbished cans.

I have the OG HE-6 6-screw version but its not comfy and not for all day listening of course. Stage is also not huge. For me its impossible to listen quietly just because every volume click from the amp HE-6 wakes up more and more and keeps sounding infinitely better so decibels tend to be quite high at the end of the listening session.
So Corey or anyone else that has heard both: How does the sound compare between HE1000SE and HE-6?
Haven't heard the HE 6 unfortunately.

May 19, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #11 of 31
Why selling the HD800 if only the bass was the issue?
Just use a proper EQ and you will be happy.

I fully agree stock HD800 lacks of bass not only quantity wise, but I use my HD800 with a custom 10 band PEQ profile and the bass is very deep and accurate and hitting hard when needed.
No distortion or bad side affects applies with proper EQ settings and it's huge night & day difference, which kept me the HD800 in the collection and not selling it.

May 19, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #12 of 31
hd800s is a keeper. if you want bass thump th900 has a huge mid scoop, or he 6.

May 19, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 31

He6>hek if you have the right amp

May 19, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #15 of 31
hd800s is a keeper. if you want bass thump th900 has a huge mid scoop, or he 6.
mid scoop and wanky treble and +8 db bass - and not a big stage

keep the 800S (only down 5 db at 30 Hz - and fast w/ good timbre too), get a HE-1000 Stealth ($1399) and an OTL amp for the 800S.

Add: the HE-6 does have insane bass impact, but the highs are edgy/angry and the mids image small., and it can't soundstage anywhere near the 800 or the HEK Stealth, v2, or SE. It's also 10+ yrs old if you can find one, and lots of them have had a lot of current pumped through them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back