ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 17, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #7,292 of 7,500
Yes i'm surprised its so similar! Black grille, brown cloth, cocobolo wood

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-17 at 3.43.20 PM.jpeg

May 17, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #7,293 of 7,500
I have one, should let me know if you want to try. It sounds like warmer/darker sound of caldera thin pad.

Caldera Thin Pad and Caldera Ultra Perforated Pad are two different pad types.
yeah, i worked that out eventually. thanks anyway.

May 18, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #7,294 of 7,500
These polls would be amazing to have in both ao and ac threads. Maybe in all zmf threads. @betula can you do it? I'm a bit short in time with 2 little monsters with 3 and 6 yo. But if you can't I will try to find a moment this sunday.
For AO I believe universe cowhide, caldera, and auteur are the most praised.
For AC I believe thin caldera, caldera suede and bokeh suede.
Correct me someone if I'm mistaken
Thanks 😊 👍

May 18, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #7,296 of 7,500
These polls would be amazing to have in both ao and ac threads. Maybe in all zmf threads. @betula can you do it? I'm a bit short in time with 2 little monsters with 3 and 6 yo. But if you can't I will try to find a moment this sunday.
For AO I believe universe cowhide, caldera, and auteur are the most praised.
For AC I believe thin caldera, caldera suede and bokeh suede.
Correct me someone if I'm mistaken
Thanks 😊 👍
It takes two minutes to set up a poll on this site. Perhaps someone, who is more familiar with the names of all the Verité and Atrium pad options can set it up for the other threads. Otherwise, I can do it, just need to do a little research about all the available pad options for those headphones as I don't own them.

May 18, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #7,297 of 7,500
Yes i'm surprised its so similar! Black grille, brown cloth, cocobolo wood

Just the different headband/strap material. We’re twins! 👯

May 18, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #7,298 of 7,500
May 18, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #7,299 of 7,500
So based on the poll and all the positive comments I gave the thick pads another go and same results. When first try them, I actually really like the changes; more sub bass, big soundstage, and layering and separation. But then as I get to more familiar tracks like The Flaming Lips - One More Robot off Yoshimi album, things start to head south. The extra bass feels a little unbalanced and more like I’m listening to a closed headphone. I can feel the pressure but not in a good way. That track has this punchy deep bass that runs thru the track. And then the vocals are just a hint too recessed for my taste.

I’ve heard the Yoshimi album so many times, and the thick pads sound off compared to what I’m expecting. When I put the stock pads back, everything is as expected in a good way. There is just this richness the stock and the suede have that are missing with the thick. It reminds when Grado first release their bagel pad style headphones. Big soundstage and layering but the famous Grado mids were missing. I never checked out any of their later offerings to see if they were able to overcome that. I also was turned of to Grado at that point even though they still continue their original line of headphones.

So at least with ZMF, there is a stock offering which aligns with my tastes at least for the Caldera open and Atrium open. I haven’t got a long enough listen to rest of lineup. But then the additional pads and meshes give people a way to tune to their own tastes. And this is different than Grado where if you swap bagel with stock or vice versa, it doesn’t sound right. Have to buy model made for the pad you like.

And another mention on the thin pad. When first put them on, it’s not bad. Punchy, exciting, familiar sound to stock but more intimate. It’s just when you get to familiar songs that you hear the cracks when certain mid to high frequencies sound out of balance.

Ok, back to enjoy my music.

May 18, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #7,300 of 7,500
I doubt we will get many more votes, only two came in the last 48 hours.

I wouldn't say this is a proper representative survey about the preferences of all Caldera owners, but with 37 votes it definitely seems to reflect the choice of us forum dwellers.
I was expecting the stock and thick pads to receive pretty much equal number of votes, but it has turned out, twice as many owners actually prefer the thick pads to stocks (including me).

I have to add, that pad swapping can also be a fine-tuning tool to your system synergy, so some people might prefer different pads on different systems.
Also, high five to the only voter on the suedes. Dare to be different! :)

pad poll.jpg

May 18, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #7,301 of 7,500
I doubt we will get many more votes, only two came in the last 48 hours.

I wouldn't say this is a proper representative survey about the preferences of all Caldera owners, but with 37 votes it definitely seems to reflect the choice of us forum dwellers.
I was expecting the stock and thick pads to receive pretty much equal number of votes, but it has turned out, twice as many owners actually prefer the thick pads to stocks (including me).

I have to add, that pad swapping can also be a fine-tuning tool to your system synergy, so some people might prefer different pads on different systems.
Also, high five to the only voter on the suedes. Dare to be different! :)

pad poll.jpg

It's nice to see stock enjoyers catching up, at one point of time thick was leading with almost 80%!

May 18, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #7,303 of 7,500
Love this survey! such a fun way to see what people are doing... 🙏

May 18, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #7,304 of 7,500
It takes two minutes to set up a poll on this site. Perhaps someone, who is more familiar with the names of all the Verité and Atrium pad options can set it up for the other threads. Otherwise, I can do it, just need to do a little research about all the available pad options for those headphones as I don't own them.
I've took the 2 minutes and started one on the Atrium's thread, including all the recommended Pads of the buying page.

May 18, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #7,305 of 7,500
if you’ve seen me post this already pls excuse the repetition 🙏

Hi guys,

Since a couple of you are already engaged there it occured to me this may be of interest to some other of you so figured I'll just quickly share this.

After seeing the Watercooler thread creating an amazingly vibrant and friendly communtiy for portable audio (and having been part of it myself), I had few members asking me to set a parallel Watercooler thread for the headphone community (full size headphones, amps, dacs, realted gears and general banter for headphone community).

After several weeks getting feedbacks and consdiering the undertaking, I decided to plunge in..

The Watercooler Headphone Edition thread is now launched:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...of-gear-impressions-music-and-musings.972819/

Since launching a week ago Saturday we've got 40 pages of posts. It's highly engaged with lots of great communtiy members and eclectic content from gear to music to audio topics. Everyone is warmly welcome to drop in anytime, share anything related to headphone, music, or just banter and hang around!

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

End of PSA… back to Caldera thread!!!

My beloved Caldera Kingwood headphones ❤️

1716062354079.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back