Aliexpress Cables
May 19, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #4,381 of 4,426
which is a good store on aliexpress to buy from power cables such as the odin 2 or audioquest silver cloud

May 19, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #4,382 of 4,426
May 19, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #4,383 of 4,426
No worries Jake! I still think there's something in the connectors worth exploring, since they seem so well damped and I've come to believe in how important it is to remove the finest parasitic vibrations. I've wondered if the sole reason these are causing a subjective difference is simply because the IEC female that directly plugs into the component is doing some damping at this last stage. The other possibility is the cable itself is such crap that it's filtering and this may be audible and to some peoples' liking.
Just my cheap theories, gotta do something with the grey matter besides fantasize about things I can't afford :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I wouldn’t go as far to say that the cable is so crap that it’s filtering … more like it’s doing what cables do- add a sonic signature.

May 19, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #4,384 of 4,426
Thanks for the comments. I need to evaluate the Flux-50s’ effect again, removing and adding them back to see the delta as a lot has changed in my system since I got them, as I don’t recall any negatives. Testing my memory a bit now but IIRC a range of aspects like soundstage depth, length of acoustic decay and bass weight and texture generally improved in my system alongside the lessening of digital glare.

Maybe it’s partly a speaker / amp synergy thing that meant my system has been super sensitive to slightly etched transient edges or digital hash. I got a well regarded Sugden class A amp this week to try and it is so much warmer, richer and smoother (if a bit less resolving in some areas) than my Nilai I can see how I might have perceived certain past changes incl the Flux-50s that were net positive with the Nilai as dulling or blunting the sound. Will be interesting to experiment with this.
Nice. Sugden makes great sounding amps. I’m using a class A Luxman integrated 550AX2 which isn’t as warm sounding. My goal was trying to get back the sound I had with single ended 300B. So I’ve been trying these Aliex cables as most of my cables were tuned for previous system. Things are getting warmer but conversely they may be damping down the life of the music as well.

The flux-50 had a character similar to this other transparent music wave PC I tried. Smoothed off digital nasties albeit at the expense of PRAT and made everything very polite. Curiously this transparent PC has a filter network as well.

I’ve tried 6 different AC cables plugged into my LPS and they do sound different. I kept the rest of the AC cables to other components the same and tried to leave them playing an hour or so as most hadn’t seen recent play time. I’ve got 2 Aliexpress AC cables amongst them - just for frame of reference for this thread: Odin2 gold vs accuphase 40th anniv which in the LPS sound different.

Odin 2 gold sounds warm in the midrange n full sounding but slightly rounded off vs the accuphase 40th which is big and dynamic sounding but with less warmth to mid range and mid bass compared to Odin 2.
294EE873-2E31-444C-BCE7-09BE107E1492.jpeg

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #4,385 of 4,426
Nice. Sugden makes great sounding amps. I’m using a class A Luxman integrated 550AX2 which isn’t as warm sounding. My goal was trying to get back the sound I had with single ended 300B. So I’ve been trying these Aliex cables as most of my cables were tuned for previous system. Things are getting warmer but conversely they may be damping down the life of the music as well.

The flux-50 had a character similar to this other transparent music wave PC I tried. Smoothed off digital nasties albeit at the expense of PRAT and made everything very polite. Curiously this transparent PC has a filter network as well.

I’ve tried 6 different AC cables plugged into my LPS and they do sound different. I kept the rest of the AC cables to other components the same and tried to leave them playing an hour or so as most hadn’t seen recent play time. I’ve got 2 Aliexpress AC cables amongst them - just for frame of reference for this thread: Odin2 gold vs accuphase 40th anniv which in the LPS sound different.

Odin 2 gold sounds warm in the midrange n full sounding but slightly rounded off vs the accuphase 40th which is big and dynamic sounding but with less warmth to mid range and mid bass compared to Odin 2.294EE873-2E31-444C-BCE7-09BE107E1492.jpeg
Here is a way to upgrade both cables or any power cable. If you have Furutech Nano Liquid on hand, take the connectors off and apply the Nano Liquid to conductors and connector contacts. More organic, improves PRaT, a little more resolving, etc.

May 19, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #4,386 of 4,426
I wouldn’t go as far to say that the cable is so crap that it’s filtering … more like it’s doing what cables do- add a sonic signature.
Basic physics-a cable cannot “add” anything except impedance, inductance, or capacitance, it achieves its signature through the same basic means as our crossovers. These are considered filters, hence my use of that word. I don’t disagree that it’s imposing a signature, and not trying to be a schmuck, I just want to be clear about what’s actually happening. Every cable is a filter to some degree in that it has electrical parameters that are non-zero, not completely transparent.

May 19, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #4,388 of 4,426

Odin 2 gold sounds warm in the midrange n full sounding but slightly rounded off vs the accuphase 40th which is big and dynamic sounding but with less warmth to mid range and mid bass compared to Odin 2.294EE873-2E31-444C-BCE7-09BE107E1492.jpeg
Cheers. So it turns out the Flux-50, or at least one that someone else bought from another vendor literally has a filter built in. From this vendor in the comments.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0R8CL0

IMG_0617.jpeg

Something equivalent to the AC-1501R Furutech says in its product blurb is included in the Flux-50. It’s also referred in the cut and paste of most AliX FLUX-50 product descriptions.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...plated-emi-noise-filter-230v-15a-p-11143.html

I bought mine from Moonsaudio here. I noticed some small differences in cosmetics between certain vendors.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtpuNV0

May 19, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #4,389 of 4,426
Cheers. So it turns out the Flux-50, or at least one that someone else bought from another vendor literally has a filter built in. From this vendor in the comments.

IMG_0617.jpeg

Something equivalent to the AC-1501R Furutech says in its product blurb is included in the Flux-50. It’s also referred in the cut and paste of most AliX FLUX-50 product descriptions.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...plated-emi-noise-filter-230v-15a-p-11143.html

I bought mine from Moonsaudio here. I noticed some small differences in cosmetics between certain vendors.

Wow, mine had no such thing!

May 19, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #4,393 of 4,426

IMG_0617.jpeg

I didn’t take apart my friend’s Flux-50 but I suspect his is likely to have this filter built in. The differences were immediately discerning- Compared to a direct plug in of AC cable without the Flux50.

Smoother top end , simple female vocal tracks sounded fuller in the mids with what some might say darker background. Personally in my set up, it sounded like a loss of recording ambience. With this fullness, the downside was a discernible lack of inflection in vocal tonality and rounding-off of transients such as drums and guitars.

I’m wondering whether they all started out having this filter and the other fakers decided to fake the fakes at a cheaper cost by not using it at all or using some resistors instead. 🤔

May 19, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #4,394 of 4,426
No worries Jake! I still think there's something in the connectors worth exploring, since they seem so well damped and I've come to believe in how important it is to remove the finest parasitic vibrations. I've wondered if the sole reason these are causing a subjective difference is simply because the IEC female that directly plugs into the component is doing some damping at this last stage. The other possibility is the cable itself is such crap that it's filtering and this may be audible and to some peoples' liking.
Just my cheap theories, gotta do something with the grey matter besides fantasize about things I can't afford :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The IEC damping is likely to help many pieces of equipment which have less than solid IEC mountings on the chassis

May 20, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #4,395 of 4,426
Did anyone try these yet? are these legit fakes with actual NCF?

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000412716175.html
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005004085134600.html (i couldnt pass on 8 pieces for 27 euro ... i pay more for local ones that have way worse construction)

Also curious about any opinions about rhodium vs gold plating :)

So i just finished my power distribution unit yesterday with these furutech rhodium plated sockets + chinese greyknight 2,5mm2 occ copper in star wire configuration for all ground/neutral/phase wires and the difference this made compared to some 0815 power distribution is pretty remarkable, tho im unsure to what i can contribute what i hear, i think star wiring plays a big role here too

overall the burn in seems to be definitely a thing... high frequencys seemed alot more tamed at first but they seem to open up a bit with time

overall i would say i got now a more "natural" sound, pretty happy with it for 80 euros :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back