Flagship 10 Knowles BA FA19 Is Officially Released
May 6, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #31 of 73
Here's a review of the Fiio FA19: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-fa19.27212/reviews#review-33796

This is a 10 Knowles BA set, which has a vented sub-woofer, so it sounds close to a DD bass instead of the traditional BA bass that lacks movement of air and decay.

FA19 8.jpg

Pros:
Bountiful accessories
Modular cable for both single-ended and balanced sources
Solid build
Ergonomic and light; no pressure sensation in the ears due to vented housing
Easy to drive, amplification not needed
Tuning switches for versatility - warm neutral in stock tuning, with option for bass boost
Excellent technicalities - soundstage and imaging are a highlight
Bass sounds like a DD bass due to vented sub-woofer concept; fast, clean and textured basslines
Transparent midrange that is free of shout
Smooth yet resolving treble, without steroid boosted high frequencies

Cons:
MMCX
Average isolation for an all BA set
Low impedance - source pairing potentially tricky with high output impedance sources

FA19 1.jpg

Fiio FA19 Final.jpg

8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak on the IEC711 coupler.

May 7, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #34 of 73
May 8, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #36 of 73
I hate foam eartips. :sweat_smile:
But thanks for trying to help. :beerchug:
In that case, i would stay away from these^^ i think the best thing you can do is to go custom.

This doesn't eliminate the issue, but lowers it by quite an amount but with most customs, you have the option to vent them. At least the companies i know provide that feature.

Or 64 Audio with their APEX Module. they have slightly lower isolation, but at least no air pressure issues.

May 8, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #38 of 73
Haven’t had a chance to listen yet but…

IMG_3611.jpeg

May 8, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #39 of 73
Only a short listen so far and loving these - I’m highly susceptible to pressure build and absolutely no issues here thankfully. The refined tuning is highly engaging and also incredibly technically competent - I love the sense of imaging and layering, wonderfully precise, pristine and yet cohesive within a vast stage.

IMG_3623.jpeg

May 11, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #41 of 73
I am afraid the FA19 are too big for my ears, but as I am really loving the full BA IER-M9 (just a bit behind the hybrid IER-Z1R sound quality), it's possible that FIIO could reach same sound quality as Sony if not better..

I feel really strange and just wonder why IEMs need so many drivers in each ears to work properly ?
Why not only 3 drivers something like 1 BA per frequency range (Lows, Mids, Highs) ? ..

May 11, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #42 of 73
I am afraid the FA19 are too big for my ears, but as I am really loving the full BA IER-M9 (just a bit behind the hybrid IER-Z1R sound quality), it's possible that FIIO could reach same sound quality as Sony if not better..

I feel really strange and just wonder why IEMs need so many drivers in each ears to work properly ?
Why not only 3 drivers something like 1 BA per frequency range (Lows, Mids, Highs) ? ..
Do you experience fatigue with them? They should be lightweight at only 7g. I myself have small ears so I hope they won't cause me problems when I'll get them. Hopefully this month they'll arrive at my local store.

May 11, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #43 of 73
I'm curious, how does the FA19 compares to other high end BA sets such as 7th Acoustics Supernova, Oriveti OH700VB, Aur Audio Neon Pro and Soundrhyme SR8?

I've only tried the supernova of the above IEMs.

FA19 beats the supernova in technical aspects like soundstage and micro detailing.

Additionally, FA19 has a tuning switch to increase versatility with a bass boost.

May 12, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #44 of 73
I'm curious, how does the FA19 compares to other high end BA sets such as 7th Acoustics Supernova, Oriveti OH700VB, Aur Audio Neon Pro and Soundrhyme SR8?

I no longer own Neon Pro or SR8 but from memory…

1. NP has a more energetic presentation and steps back a bit on technical capabilities such as detail retrieval and imaging
2. SR8 goes in the other direction where it’s more laid back vs FA19 and again not as technically competent

The OH700VB which I currently own yet again is behind the FA19 from a technical perspective, and overall the tuning is more coloured/fun vs the balanced tuning of the FA19 (with the switches off - I haven’t even tried them on yet).

All excellent sets in various ways so really depends on what you’re looking for. For me the FA19 really excels as an incredibly technically competent and balanced IEM that is still sufficiently emotive and doesn’t fall into a trap of sounding clinical.

I’ve been listening at every opportunity over the weekend, an absolutely fantastic IEM and a massive step up for FiiO.

IMG_3870.jpeg

May 12, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #45 of 73
I no longer own Neon Pro or SR8 but from memory…

1. NP has a more energetic presentation and steps back a bit on technical capabilities such as detail retrieval and imaging
2. SR8 goes in the other direction where it’s more laid back vs FA19 and again not as technically competent

The OH700VB which I currently own yet again is behind the FA19 from a technical perspective, and overall the tuning is more coloured/fun vs the balanced tuning of the FA19 (with the switches off - I haven’t even tried them on yet).

All excellent sets in various ways so really depends on what you’re looking for. For me the FA19 really excels as an incredibly technically competent and balanced IEM that is still sufficiently emotive and doesn’t fall into a trap of sounding clinical.

I’ve been listening at every opportunity over the weekend, an absolutely fantastic IEM and a massive step up for FiiO.

IMG_3870.jpeg
Interesting set indeed.
$999 is the price bracket where nice tribrid sets are also available (or even at a cheaper price), such as monarch DTE900 or used MEST / prestige LTD.
Very temped by this release and would like to see more impressions from you and others. Thanks for your impression!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back