HiFiMan Susvara
May 19, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #25,756 of 25,993
The Susvara has no sharpness. It’s very resolving. The issue is likely your DAC or amp. I recalled having a similar problem until I upgraded my DAC and amp.
I agree , I believe it's close to perfect. I was just using an example. BTW Im so far down the rabbit hole these days I can no longer see any sky........... Current chain I Lina Stack, Susvara. Love DCS products especially their DAC (over the air upgrades are terrific) My issue is that although the Lina AMP can play Susvara loud it just does not get to that sweet spot of possibility) and its nearly 10K. I just heard the new HiFiman golden wave Prelude, it got much closer. That said I'm thinking going all in to the EF 1000 might just bring some light back into my rabbit hole? I just to see or hear much about its performance and reliability?

May 19, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #25,757 of 25,993
I agree , I believe it's close to perfect. I was just using an example. BTW Im so far down the rabbit hole these days I can no longer see any sky........... Current chain I Lina Stack, Susvara. Love DCS products especially their DAC (over the air upgrades are terrific) My issue is that although the Lina AMP can play Susvara loud it just does not get to that sweet spot of possibility) and its nearly 10K. I just heard the new HiFiman golden wave Prelude, it got much closer. That said I'm thinking going all in to the EF 1000 might just bring some light back into my rabbit hole? I just to see or hear much about its performance and reliability?
If you have the means to get the EF1000, I would strongly advise also taking a look at the Riviera AIC10. It's in a similar price ballpark and it has a few distinct advantages: it's smaller and runs cooler, it only has one small cheap-ish tube to change and the performance is as perfect as can get (though TBH I haven't heard the EF1000, but I've talked to a couple of peeps who compared them and they preferred the Riviera). The only thing is it's kinda ridiculous to pay full MSRP for this amp, and they don't come up used often. But then the same can be said about the EF1000.

May 19, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #25,758 of 25,993
If you have the means to get the EF1000, I would strongly advise also taking a look at the Riviera AIC10. It's in a similar price ballpark and it has a few distinct advantages: it's smaller and runs cooler, it only has one small cheap-ish tube to change and the performance is as perfect as can get (though TBH I haven't heard the EF1000, but I've talked to a couple of peeps who compared them and they preferred the Riviera). The only thing is it's kinda ridiculous to pay full MSRP for this amp, and they don't come up used often. But then the same can be said about the EF1000.
Don t forget trafomatic primavera or envy with elrog/western. Sandu from soundnews bought a primavera after listening to the aic10.

May 19, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #25,759 of 25,993

May 19, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #25,760 of 25,993
very interesting interview

May 19, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #25,763 of 25,993
May 19, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #25,764 of 25,993
Another thing I hear is that using the Single ended input/Output on the EF 1000 is better and more reliable than the XLR Balanced?
To my ears and experience, yes that is true both for my analogue source and digital source where I have the 'CD' RCA input of the EF1000 for my CH P1 Phono Stage and the EF1000 'DAC' RCA input for my Chord DAVE DAC !

May 19, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #25,765 of 25,993
Do you use the singled ended connection as opposed to the Bal XLR I hear it makes a difference??
Yes I do only use the RCAC inputs of my EF1000 (see post I have not long sent on this subject).

May 19, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #25,766 of 25,993
The only thing you MUST consider is that susvaras are very inefficient, 83db at 60 ohms. Hence you need a lot of power and i think that manley marvel has not enough power to drive the susvaras. I m going feliks envy after summer. I think is priced more or less like the manley and is powerful enough.
People keep chiming about 'power' for the Susvara....but it's not as simple as that.....it's lots of quality current that is need from the Amp to make the Susvara's sing. And I am afraid that such Amps that can provide such a current output are expensive.

May 19, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #25,767 of 25,993
Given your initial introduction prior to Susvara am I understanding you tome that the EF 1000 is perfect for Susvara n helping to dull some of the sharpness??? Sorry is I mam misunderstanding
I have never had any so called 'sharpness' to the sound from my Susvara before the EF1000 when I used it with my Chord Choral Prima Pre-Amp and Chord Choral Mezzo 140 and whilst waiting for my EF1000 to be delivered the loaned Pathos Inpol EAR Amp.

May 19, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #25,768 of 25,993
i would like to hear dr fang bian's take on the optimal amount of power required to make the susvara 'sing'

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #25,769 of 25,993
I tried the DCS Lina stack with the Susvara.....to my ears massively overpriced mid-fi set-up !

May 19, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #25,770 of 25,993
Don t forget trafomatic primavera or envy with elrog/western. Sandu from soundnews bought a primavera after listening to the aic10.
Aries Cerat Genus Integrated Headphone & Speaker Amp (especially linked to the Aries Cerat Helena DAC) should also be auditioned with the Susvara if you can ! Never heard this set-up myself, but people who have say it's a great set-up !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back