NEW HiBy R4
May 17, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #526 of 874
I’m curious how Hiby R4 sound stacks with Chord Mojo (at least 1st edition) sound. I have such Cord Mojo and wouldn’t trade it for less good sound. But the design and convenience of the R4 is really magnetical.
Would like to hear from someone who owns/knews both devices. Or, maybe can suggest what DAP’s are sounding comparably good to Mojo. Thank’s!

May 17, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #528 of 874
I got my r4 today. It does get quite warm but with it being class a it gets a little warmer than my full-size class a/b amps. No concerns yet. Have been following this thread and have had concerns. The device does get quite warm but it hasn’t affected the sound or functionality of the device that I have been able to tell. It cools right down when headphones aren’t plugged in and no music is playing. Installed plugins and have been toggling them off and on to see how they affect the sound and if I like what they do or not.
Initial impression of the device is positive.
Do note that the plugins can configured by tapping on the name instead of the checkbox

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 18, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #529 of 874
I don't get the overheating issue but the bugs in the OS are really annoying me now
I set the rate to 24 bit but it changes back to 32.bit then next time I play an album, I literally have to change this setting every single time
It's also started randomly playing Tidal tracks by itself, after I Finnish listening I put earbuds back in case or unplug IEM's and I'll notice later that the led light is on and it's randomly playing Tidal even though Tidal was cleared from memory by swiping it away
These little anomaly are irritating
Where can bugs be reported ?

May 18, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #530 of 874
I don't get the overheating issue but the bugs in the OS are really annoying me now
I set the rate to 24 bit but it changes back to 32.bit then next time I play an album, I literally have to change this setting every single time
It's also started randomly playing Tidal tracks by itself, after I Finnish listening I put earbuds back in case or unplug IEM's and I'll notice later that the led light is on and it's randomly playing Tidal even though Tidal was cleared from memory by swiping it away
That isn't a problem the extra 8 bits are simply padded with zeros.

May 18, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #531 of 874
is your unit haunted?

May 18, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #532 of 874
Where are you setting this, in what app

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 18, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #533 of 874
There's something strange, in your neighborhood... who you gonna call?

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #536 of 874
I’m new to Android DAPs, shouldn’t Apple Music be able to play over 44khz natively with the Hiby R4? I can’t get anything higher resolution to play above that.

Interesting, I don't have the R4 but my R5 and R6 Pro play Apple Music hi-res at the correct sample rates, I have seen from 44.1 to 192 kHz on the status bar. I would have expected the R4 to do the same. Do you have hi-res lossless enabled in the Apple Music settings? It isn't enabled by default.

May 18, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #537 of 874
update, mind blown that this can actually drive the tungsten double sided. EQ causes distortion when used with headphones or at least that has been my experience.
Turn down the preamp in the PEQ and turn up the device volume

May 18, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #538 of 874
Interesting, I don't have the R4 but my R5 and R6 Pro play Apple Music hi-res at the correct sample rates, I have seen from 44.1 to 192 kHz on the status bar. I would have expected the R4 to do the same. Do you have hi-res lossless enabled in the Apple Music settings? It isn't enabled by default.
Thank you! I was going through settings all over the device and forgot to check the app itself.

May 18, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #539 of 874
Incoming mass product recall? This comment really puts me off buying a R4.
That's being a bit drastic is it not?

Mine has arrived too.
Is it safe to open the box?
Or, is there a possibility that as soon as the box is opened, my unit might superheat and go supernova, before collapsing in on itself, and becoming a black hole, which then sucks our entire solar system into it?

Can you wait until I have at least lost my virginity before causing that black hole, I've waited 50 years and I'm certain I will have luck this year 😂

I’m curious how Hiby R4 sound stacks with Chord Mojo (at least 1st edition) sound. I have such Cord Mojo and wouldn’t trade it for less good sound. But the design and convenience of the R4 is really magnetical.
Would like to hear from someone who owns/knews both devices. Or, maybe can suggest what DAP’s are sounding comparably good to Mojo. Thank’s!

I'm waiting for my R4 to be delivered (ok I have only ordered it in the last hour) but I will be able to check then as I have Chord Mojo gen 1 & 2 as well as the Poly.
For me the Chord would, IMO, would be hard for the Hiby R4 to beat if comparing just the quality of sound reproduction.

I'm getting the R4 primarily for convenience/portability as the Mojo attached to a phone or the Mojo/Poly combo are rather bulky for day to day use

is your unit haunted?
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #540 of 874
Er..... I have had no issues figuring everything out with the R4.
I've had an R3 and an R5, so I'm pretty au fait with the Hiby ecosystem.

But I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to correctly attach the wretched strap!

Edit - I've sorted it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back