RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
May 7, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #1,697 of 1,857
Hey, ya gotta have priorities in life.

Attachments

• Bugatti Trailer.jpg
    Bugatti Trailer.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
May 7, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #1,699 of 1,857
I was in NYC in 1988. and I could eat breakfast at McDonald's for $2. :ksc75smile:
Yeah, not so much anymore. :wink: And 1-bedrooms start around $1M now, or $6k/month rent.

And so I might as well spend my money on headphones, right? Because that condo I lust after ain't happening either way. lol 🤷‍♂️

May 7, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #1,700 of 1,857
Hmm, Auris 300B though, with Aries Cerat, will probably be an interesting demo and open day at the distributor of Raals, huh

Anyone heard the Auris 300B?
I've listened to it (Headonia) at Axpona with Immanis. They were 10ft away from my RAAL 1995 booth, so I visited 5 or 6 times. It's a very nice addition to the many 300B offerings, available today. For me, what makes this amp standout, from the crowd, is the bass. The bass has firmness and weight that really worked for me. Typically, there is a bit of a "romantic bloom" with 300B amps, which I also like but, Headonia offers something a little different. It's also a bit more energetic in the 1K-2K range. Not shouty or harsh just not as laid back as a typical 300B. Overall, these tonal notes make it a "must audition" for any fan of the 300B platform. Best, Danny McKinney

May 8, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #1,701 of 1,857
Received the Immanis today. Oh boy...

First impressions:
- They are easily "better" than all previous RAAL-requisite headphones, provided you prefer more traditional circumaural headphones (SRs are still awesome in their own right).
- Extremely technically capable headphone.
- Staging is huge.
- Slightly warm, but wonderfully so. They are absolute monsters for acoustic music.
- Very well extended, musical, liquid, and coherent. These headphones pour music into an old fashion whiskey glass and serve it with a grin.
. Coherence and resulting "experience" is where these headphones really shine - my goodness. The only headphones I remember doing coherence this well are the Hifiman Susvaras (and only when properly amped). The Immanis convey the "energy of the experience" very well.

They are the real deal.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #1,703 of 1,857
Received the Immanis today. Oh boy...

First impressions:
- They are easily "better" than all previous RAAL-Requisite headphones, provided you prefer more traditional circumaural headphones (SRs are still awesome in their own right).
- Extremely technically capable headphone.
- Staging is huge.
- Slightly warm, but wonderfully so. They are absolute monsters for acoustic music.
- Very well extended, musical, liquid, and coherent. These headphones pour music into an old fashion whiskey glass and serve it with a grin.
. Coherence and resulting "experience" is where these headphones really shine - my goodness. The only headphones I remember doing coherence this well are the Hifiman Susvaras (and only when properly amped). The Immanis convey the "energy of the experience" very well.

They are the real deal.
But but.... everyone wants to know about the bass :beyersmile:

May 8, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #1,706 of 1,857
A wide mix: pure cello, piano, violin, along with some rock, acoustic rock, metal, and electronic. The CA-1a "hits" a bit harder, but the Immanis are so much better it doesn't really matter.
Are you going to keep the CA-1a?

May 8, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #1,707 of 1,857
My post was regarding both HD800 and HD800S. They are bascially the same headphone, the HD800S just has a reduced treble spike. I had the HD800S, and yes, the bass is bad for its price. The bass texture is good, yes, but anything more than that is not what this headphone is going for. The mids are also not that great to be honest. Treble is very good and extremely detailed, but that spike can be a nuisance. For me the only things that headphone has going for it are the huge soundstage, which i feel is inflated and not natural, because every instrument sounds very small, it's like a galaxy where you see small blinking stars, but they all are so tiny compared to the empty room they are placed it. The second and for me best thing about the HD800S was the imaging, it was so laser accurate which i haven't heard before.

Exactly what i'm saying. Decent in a bubble, but for the price it's really just bad. Listen to a different (popular) headphone in that 1500-2000€ price range. For its pricepoint of 1800€ the HD800S cannot compete in terms of bass (and mids in my opinion) to any of its competitors. Hifiman, Focal, Audeze, etc, grab a headphone for ~1800€ from them and compare the bass. I didn't want to derail the thread because this is NOT about the HD800S. Go to the HD800S thread.

I doubt it, but i will see about that myself. You're not only saying "well", but "very well". Have you listened to them and compared them to a headphone that we all know actually slams? In that pricepoint? I'm not talking about an HD6XX, i'm talking about something in that 7-10k€+ region. I checked a few posts of yours, and you seem to be a Stax guy, everytime i listened to any of them at shows, i just immediately take them of when something is playing that needs actual dynamics. I remember listening to the X9000 and was completely underwhelmed when i heard "We will rock you" by Queen on them, it sounded completely dead (same as DCA btw). That does not mean they sound bad in general, they just sound bad to me. For me personally, i need way better dynamics to enjoy my 70% rock & metal library.
In contrary, i don't need more details than a Susvara, which i'm sure the Immanis has, but if it sacrifices too much (dynamics), it's a no-go for me.

Deep bass is about extension and rumble, upper bass is more about dynamics and slam. Both of these are separate from bass texture. I would even argue that a perfectly well driven Susvara is only good at slam, not exceptional, while its bass texture (that's the realism part which people say the Immanis is really good at) is a 10/10, its dynamics (that's the fun factor) can't be more than an 8/10 on any gear. A 1266 / Utopia / Valkyria runs circles around it in that regard.
From what i've read the Immanis never was intented to be the dynamic bass slam monster, which is probably not even possible with a ribbon headphone. The guy that makes them even warns people to EQ the bass.
From all i read, the Immanis is a step up from a Stax headphones, but can't touch a planar in the dynamic department, but it has the better technical aspects in comparison.
In the end i will need to hear it myself (in my room, with my music, with a comparison to the Susvara), reading impressions only can get me so far. Also people tend to cope about their expensive gear they just bought (that's why buying and selling used is so desirable, it eliminates that factor to a degree).
Anything is possible to do with ribbons, it's just that since they can have great excursion, other acoustical loading besides sealing can be used.
Not wanting to do something doesn't mean it can't be done.

I warn people not to EQ the bass if they expect to stay at the max SPL capability, that's all. Drawing other conclusions from that is assuming too much.

If you're into dynamics, then we share what we value the most in reproduction.

Last edited:
RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
May 8, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #1,708 of 1,857
But but.... everyone wants to know about the bass :beyersmile:
So much better extension compared to the CA-1a, but not quite as generically impactful. You have more fleshed out and individually defined notes as opposed to general "bass, mid, and treble" sections. Pretty wild.

Are you going to keep the CA-1a?
No. The Immanis is an entirely different class of headphone at a very different price point.

Do you have other headphones to compare it to? That's probably the most interesting question. Non-Raal stuff, like TOTL planars.
Not that I would feel comfortable sharing. Sorry. Though I would say, comparisons will be difficult.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #1,710 of 1,857
Dear All,

I am very glad to announce the formation of the new brand of true-ribbon headphones, RAAL 1995.

Is it possible to order a custom leather free version (or at least a version that uses non-animal derived faux leather including no egg shell protein leather) ?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back