Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 6, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #7,066 of 7,157
Haha well I'll of course see how it sounds. If the Gungnir is truly better than the Bifrost 2 then I will be selling that one.
I know, when I had an Bifrost Uber, it sounded like a DAC.

The Gumby sounded like music.

Are you going to use it balanced/XLR or single-ended/RCA? USB input?

May 6, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #7,067 of 7,157
I know, when I had an Bifrost Uber, it sounded like a DAC.

The Gumby sounded like music.

Are you going to use it balanced/XLR or single-ended/RCA? USB input?

I'll be using balanced into either a Singxer SA-1 or Schiit Midgard. USB from my Mac. Coax digital from my Marantz CD6006 CD player.

May 7, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #7,068 of 7,157
Has anyone ever run into a severely weakened and distorted signal from the single-ended outputs when using the balanced outputs of the Gungnir Multibit?

My system was working normally until I connected a balanced preamp, which was off when connected. The signal through the preamp sounds excellent, but both RCA outputs (headphone amps) are very weak and distorted.

I checked cabling and connections, and so far I see no issues there. When I consulted the Schiit support chatbot/AI, the well-named “Schiit-talker”. It confirmed connections were the likely culprit.

If I don’t see any solution to the connections or hear suggestions of other possibilities tomorrow (Tuesday), I’ll reach out to Schiit support via email and see if they think something is wrong with the jacks or the output board.

Thanks in advance for any assistance-

May 7, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #7,069 of 7,157
Has anyone ever run into a severely weakened and distorted signal from the single-ended outputs when using the balanced outputs of the Gungnir Multibit?

My system was working normally until I connected a balanced preamp, which was off when connected. The signal through the preamp sounds excellent, but both RCA outputs (headphone amps) are very weak and distorted.

I checked cabling and connections, and so far I see no issues there. When I consulted the Schiit support chatbot/AI, the well-named “Schiit-talker”. It confirmed connections were the likely culprit.

If I don’t see any solution to the connections or hear suggestions of other possibilities tomorrow (Tuesday), I’ll reach out to Schiit support via email and see if they think something is wrong with the jacks or the output board.

Do you have different cables to try? That will be the first thing they ask you to check. I did have a pair of pyst rca cables go bad. Lots of distortion from them. I thought it was the amp, but I was wrong. Switched out to snake oil cables and problem solved. I also had some cheap monoprice rca cables that kept coming loose and causing distortion from my cd player to DAC. But if it's not the cables, then reaching out to Schiit is the best next step. Good luck

May 7, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #7,070 of 7,157
Do you have different cables to try? That will be the first thing they ask you to check. I did have a pair of pyst rca cables go bad. Lots of distortion from them. I thought it was the amp, but I was wrong. Switched out to snake oil cables and problem solved. I also had some cheap monoprice rca cables that kept coming loose and causing distortion from my cd player to DAC. But if it's not the cables, then reaching out to Schiit is the best next step. Good luck
Thanks! I might have another pair- however, it would be extremely odd for two pairs of cables to fail simultaneously.

This is because I have two single-ended pairs running to two different headphone amps, and both have the issue.

I’ll see if I can give it a try, but it seems strange that both cables failed at the same time.

May 7, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #7,071 of 7,157
Thanks! I might have another pair- however, it would be extremely odd for two pairs of cables to fail simultaneously.

This is because I have two single-ended pairs running to two different headphone amps, and both have the issue.

I’ll see if I can give it a try, but it seems strange that both cables failed at the same time.
True. I agree that the odds of both cables going bad is unlikely. But Schiit always asks about the cables first, in my experience. Most likely a bad board or rca jacks. Does your Gungnir still have a warranty? Mine is from 2016, so way out of warranty. But the unison usb upgrade would re-activate a 2 year warranty if still running Gen 5 usb.

May 7, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #7,072 of 7,157

Remove one of your SE outputs and see if the problem goes away. It appears that you're running balanced out and two pairs of SE outputs. You may be overloading the Gumby output stage.

:beerchug:
JC

May 7, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #7,073 of 7,157

Which gungnir you have ? A1/A2 ? I remember reading some of the output stages has this issue depending on the impedance of the attached decides. I have an A2 and can hook up Jot 2 via XLR and 2 SE amps without issue, Pietus Maximus and DNA Sonett2

May 7, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #7,074 of 7,157
Which gungnir you have ? A1/A2 ? I remember reading some of the output stages has this issue depending on the impedance of the attached decides. I have an A2 and can hook up Jot 2 via XLR and 2 SE amps without issue, Pietus Maximus and DNA Sonett2
Most Schiit amps have 50k or so inputs. None seem to short the inputs when off.

My A1 is connected to a Valhalla2, Asgard3 and Mjolnir3. No problems at all.

May 7, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #7,077 of 7,157
Thanks for the answer. I’m actually not sure if my Gungnir is an A1 or A2.

I’d been running all three outputs simultaneously up until now, without any issue at all. As a result I was very disappointed when this happened out of the blue. Due to a recent back injury it’s hard for me to poke around behind my stereo cabinet at the moment, so I’ll have to investigate further once I’m more agile. 🙄

May 7, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #7,078 of 7,157
True. I agree that the odds of both cables going bad is unlikely. But Schiit always asks about the cables first, in my experience. Most likely a bad board or rca jacks. Does your Gungnir still have a warranty? Mine is from 2016, so way out of warranty. But the unison usb upgrade would re-activate a 2 year warranty if still running Gen 5 usb.
Past warranty, unfortunately, but I’ll happily pay the cost of a Schiit repair.

May 7, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #7,079 of 7,157
Remove one of your SE outputs and see if the problem goes away. It appears that you're running balanced out and two pairs of SE outputs. You may be overloading the Gumby output stage.

JC
Great suggestion. I’ll try that once I’m able. Thanks!

May 7, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #7,080 of 7,157

JC
Thanks- this is the issue!

I disconnected the one SE connection to my tube headphone amp and the SS headphone amp sounds normal again.

I was unaware that the output stage could be overloaded. I’ll reach out to Schiit support and see if they have newer versions of the output stage that could be swapped in.

Otherwise I’ll need to add a single-ended switch, I think.

While my preamp (Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE) has sufficient outputs to feed my tube headphone amp as well, it would do so at the volume-controlled level I believe. I don’t think I can set one SE output to line-level, unfortunately- though I could double-check with W4S about that.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back