Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 8, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #150,886 of 152,382
Lol! Us outsiders or newbies! I love the evolution of topics! Now old computers and strange fruit. Lol!!! Can I have a puppy or kitty please?
Cats_20180211_7630.jpeg

May 8, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #150,887 of 152,382
What's the doggies name? I still want to know if Iggy will make my digital sound better, I want to see what Tom is making next. Lol! Have a great night. Cheers
That is Bug, she's recovering from having her second mast cell tumor removed.
20240507_221054.jpg

Just two months after we lost the other one, Buster (below) who was my son's best friend. Boxers are awesome but the cancer rate is heartbreaking.
signal-2024-03-02-18-59-03-305-2.jpg

May 8, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #150,888 of 152,382
I studied and used Pascal, COBOL, basic, C+, and LISP. I understood the logic but I was never very good at it and left it behind. I was also for a brief time a Novell System Admin, but I hated that. I am not cut out for IT, but I’m what might be called a fairly advanced user.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #150,889 of 152,382
Hey all, is there an Aegir 2 impressions thread? Nothing obvious was coming up in my search.
Just want to re-up this in case it got buried in all the noise of vintage spinny hard drives. :wink:

May 8, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #150,890 of 152,382
I was lucky my high school offered classes in Basic and C++, so that was my entrypoint. My cool uncle also had a kaypro and various 386 machines.

Started my IT career at a small web hosting company back when that was still a viable thing. Lots of Perl and Bash. I'd earned a CompTIA Network+ cert after working as an engineer at a recording studio and deciding it wasn't for me.

Back then, knowing Perl allowed for some decent web developer gigs in the PNW. What a funny (but fun) language it was. Was always full stack, so MySQL, Oracle, Javascript, and scss as well.

From there I went back to school and got through all the 200-level CS stuff (C++, C, Bash) and math prereqs, then sadly fell into .NET gigs (C#, SQL Server); but on the plus side I got to learn Angular and React/Next.js (Typescript), as well as infrastructure as code via Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm, and YAML pipelines. It's real fun being able to stand up a complete set of infrastructure including routing, firewalls, clusters, and secrets management in a matter of minutes.

I also keep my C/C++ chops up with personal projects. I'm pretty close to having a viable DSD to PCM conversion application ready to offer as free and open source software. Learned how to design FIR filters in the process. After extensive listening tests I'm finding it to be on par with a *very expensive alternative software offering.

The language I'm probably most excited about going forward is Rust. When it comes time to create the UI for the conversion app I'm planning on using a cross platform Rust framework called Tauri, with Next.js as the front end.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #150,891 of 152,382
I studied and used Pascal, COBOL, basic, C+, and LISP. I understood the logic but I was never very good at it and left it behind. I was also for a brief time a Novell Systeh Admin, but I hated that. I am not cut out for IT, but I’m what might be called a fairly advanced user.
I remember taking a course in Lisp. The instructor was obsessed with recursion and would give the students mind bending programming homework that could make people psychotic. It wasn’t until years later when I started writing functions within Autocad that I realized you could use it to do ordinary tasks.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #150,892 of 152,382
I remember taking a course in Lisp. The instructor was obsessed with recursion would give the students mind bending programming homework that could make people psychotic. It wasn’t until years later when I started writing functions within Autocad that I realized you could use it to do ordinary tasks.
Lisp is the first thing out of all this programming talk that I am even faintly familiar with, though I used that within AutoCAD only minimally. I could sure make AutoCAD dance, though. Very fun!

May 8, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #150,893 of 152,382
Lisp is the first thing out of all this programming talk that I am even faintly familiar with, though I used that within AutoCAD only minimally. I could sure make AutoCAD dance, though. Very fun!
First engineering job out of college- management figured I should know Autocad. I was lucky enough to graduate when the debut of 286s and 386s made CAD practical on desktop PCs. I still work every day with CAD/CAM but I use a lot more programs than ACAD now.

May 8, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #150,894 of 152,382
Oh! And my square that recognizes me is all about Jean-Michel Jarre. I'm not a nark. Lol!
A circle back again!

In 1988 I worked for said UK computer comapny. My brother can down for this concert: https://www.jeanmicheljarre.com/live/destination-docklands

All the local roads were closed and the weather was abysmal so that the huge crowds could walk from the station to the venue. I was s sailor then and we both were dressed in foul-weather gear and took some ribbing from otehrs in the crowd as we walked in and socilaized at the venue.

They went quieted down when it pi$$ed it down. One person towards the front decided to put up a huge umbrella. Have you ever heard many thousands of folks build a chant directed at one person?

Fun times. I just sent my brother the link.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #150,895 of 152,382
It seeemed a really good idea at the time to schedule the colonoscopy at 8am. Get it out of the way early, he thought.
What he didn't think about was the 3am drinking the preparatory glop for two hours. Only one more hour of drinking to to go..........

TAt least this is the last one if it goes well. I'll age out of the window before the next one is due....... :xf_cool:

May 8, 2024 at 4:25 AM Post #150,897 of 152,382
It seeemed a really good idea at the time to schedule the colonoscopy at 8am. Get it out of the way early, he thought.
What he didn't think about was the 3am drinking the preparatory glop for two hours. Only one more hour of drinking to to go..........

TAt least this is the last one if it goes well. I'll age out of the window before the next one is due....... :xf_cool:
Will refer people to this post when, as ever, they ask why not a schiit streamer? 🤣

May 8, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #150,898 of 152,382
I studied and used Pascal, COBOL, basic, C+, and LISP. I understood the logic but I was never very good at it and left it behind. I was also for a brief time a Novell Systeh Admin, but I hated that. I am not cut out for IT, but I’m what might be called a fairly advanced user.
To say that I am not cut out for IT would be a massive understatement.

Operating a streamer stretches my capabilities!

It’s one reason I enjoy playing CDs and vinyl.

It’s also one of the reasons I like my ‘classic car’- an MGB GT V8.

It is an ‘analogue car’.

No computer at all :beyersmile:

May 8, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #150,899 of 152,382
Ah yes, autoexec.bat and config.sys tricks to get drivers into the space between 640k and 1024k of memory.

X-Tree Pro was my favourite file exporer
There was a Windows version, but didn't seem to be as robust as the DOS one.

Edit : I open two separate explorer windows as a workaround for dual pane

Edit 2 : First PC I bought was a 286-10, with 1024k RAM, 20MB Hard Drive and EGA Graphics. Was awesome and cost me a couple of months pay. 1200/75 modem and Compuserve was the online option :relieved:

For an insanely configurable and powerful Explorer replacement, take a look at Directory Opus. One of the first things I do after I install it is set dual-pane as the default. It got its start on the Amiga 30+ years ago. It's not free (nor inexpensive), but I won't use any other file manager on my Windows PC's.

May 8, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #150,900 of 152,382
It’s also one of the reasons I like my ‘classic car’- an MGB GT V8.

It is an ‘analogue car’.

No computer at all :beyersmile:

*sigh*. My top-trim Honda Passport has, at a rough count, 78 buttons and switches, many things can be done remotely via a phone app, has an extensive diagnostics menu if you're into that sort of thing, and is a rolling many-networked-microcomputers (read: many points of potential failure) thing that has very little in it that a backyard mechanic is capable of dealing with without the proper electronics diagnostics tools. It also has a hyper-sensitive object/collision detection (and auto-braking) system that is turned on by default when you start the car. That system is under investigation by the US government (in the Accord and CRV. Same system, though). https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60526893/nhtsa-honda-accord-cr-v-emergency-braking-investigation/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back