The discovery thread!
May 19, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #102,136 of 104,120
I tried importing the tracking number from my troublesome shipment of TRN Conch and one other item into the Shop app and it claims they're getting delivered in Italy!! Aliexpress says they're sitting at the processing center after having been returned to the warehouse and sent back. irritating! Who knows when or if they will ever get there. So far, only like 1/6 orders actually worked for me on Aliexpress. Cannot fathom how you all order expensive equipment on there but I guess they do have a decent refund policy...
Huh sorry you've had such a bad experience. I've ordered probably hundreds of things from AliExpress at this point and have never had a single issue. They have pretty good buyer protection at least.

May 19, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #102,137 of 104,120
Brace yourself—potentially controversial post ahead.

Yesterday, I was unprepared for what was about to unfold. It all began innocently enough: “I’m curious about how my ST7 sounds with its stock cable…” but it quickly escalated to a more profound question: “How can different cables alter IEMs sound so significantly?” and then, the perhaps a touch paranoid and blown out of proportion: “When we are talking about the same IEM on the forum, are we really talking about the same IEM? More precisely, how can we possibly be having the same experience?"

Consider this: Most of us end up pairing our IEMs (especially cheaper ones) with different cables, leading to considerably varied experiences. And that’s not even factoring DACs and tips into the equation.

Let’s focus on the ST7. During my tests, it transformed from a warm and relaxing presentation, with a good quantity of bass and a precise yet smooth treble (paired with my TRN RedChain) to an almost crystal-clear sound with just sufficient bass and a sharper and brighter treble (using the stock cable). The TRN T2 Pro found a middle ground, while the NiceHCK BlackCat and NiceHCK BlackInk offered entirely different experiences. And, absurdly, the differences were far from marginal—I’d likely mistake them for 4-5 distinct IEMs in a blind test.

The point of the post? I don't think there is one precisely, but potentially many. As for me, I will limit my conclusion to this:
Re-cabling an IEM it's a process that many of us do as a "due step", especially with cheaper IEMs. However, thanks to this newfound awareness of mine (in particular of the extent of said alteration) it's starting to feel more like an "analogue equalization" rather than an "effortless due step necessary to make an IEM show its full potential"

Also, I have a doubt, and I would be very thankful if some more experienced users on the forum could help me dissipate it: do companies design and tune their IEMs with their stock cable in mind, or is the IEMs tuning completely ‘unrelated’ to the cable they will later pair said IEMs with? I’m quite skeptical of this probability because it would make the stock cable a de facto fortuity, and the tuning of IEMs would be created based on an impossible ‘cableless’ experience. Furthermore, this will make the ‘vanilla’ experience of an IEM (with the stock cable) not differ from any other, so, as I said, a fortuity.

By the way, if you don’t believe cables alter sound, more power to you! Arguing is not the purpose of this post; I’m simply sharing my experience and thoughts, and I’m also curious to hear your opinions on the matter (and potentially clarify the abovementioned doubt of mine).

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #102,138 of 104,120
I thought you are the biggest KZ/CCA fan and that I could call out all model numbers and you tell me exactly how many drivers are inside? You disappoint me a bit ahaha :p
That's @PhonoPhi ! I'm a fan of many CCA models, but I've been very critical of KZ's releases minus the Ling Long lol Outside of that, these two incoming KZ will be my first since the ZS5 from years ago lol

May 19, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #102,139 of 104,120
Brace yourself—potentially controversial post ahead.

Yesterday, I was unprepared for what was about to unfold. It all began innocently enough: “I’m curious about how my ST7 sounds with its stock cable…” but it quickly escalated to a more profound question: “How can different cables alter IEMs sound so significantly?” and then, the perhaps a touch paranoid and blown out of proportion: “When we are talking about the same IEM on the forum, are we really talking about the same IEM? More precisely, how can we possibly be having the same experience?"

Consider this: Most of us end up pairing our IEMs (especially cheaper ones) with different cables, leading to considerably varied experiences. And that’s not even factoring DACs and tips into the equation.

Let’s focus on the ST7. During my tests, it transformed from a warm and relaxing presentation, with a good quantity of bass and a precise yet smooth treble (paired with my TRN RedChain) to an almost crystal-clear sound with just sufficient bass and a sharper and brighter treble (using the stock cable). The TRN T2 Pro found a middle ground, while the NiceHCK BlackCat and NiceHCK BlackInk offered entirely different experiences. And, absurdly, the differences were far from marginal—I’d likely mistake them for 4-5 distinct IEMs in a blind test.

The point of the post? I don't think there is one precisely, but potentially many. As for me, I will limit my conclusion to this:
Re-cabling an IEM it's a process that many of us do as a "due step", especially with cheaper IEMs. However, thanks to this newfound awareness of mine (in particular of the extent of said alteration) it's starting to feel more like an "analogue equalization" rather than an "effortless due step necessary to make an IEM show its full potential".

Also, I have a doubt, and I would be very thankful if some more experienced users on the forum could help me dissipate it: do companies design and tune their IEMs with their stock cable in mind, or is the IEMs tuning completely ‘unrelated’ to the cable they will later pair said IEMs with? I’m quite skeptical of this probability because it would make the stock cable a de facto fortuity, and the tuning of IEMs would be created based on an impossible ‘cableless’ experience. Furthermore, this will make the ‘vanilla’ experience of an IEM (with the stock cable) not differ from any other, so, as I said, it becomes a fortuity.

By the way, if you don’t believe cables alter sound, more power to you! Arguing is not the purpose of this post; I’m simply sharing my experience and thoughts, and I’m also curious to hear your opinions on the matter (and potentially clarify the abovementioned doubt of mine).
I couldn't possibly guess what each individual manufacturer/designer does, but the reason for any changes to FR with cables is due to impedance matching (or mismatching). IEM impedances can get very low, which means that even subtle shifts in impedances of cables, connectors, and amps all matter. Also worth remembering that not all IEMs have a flat impedance, so the impedance ratings that manufacturers give us are just averages across a narrow (and often unstated) frequency range--say, 500Hz-5kHz.

If impedance graphs of IEMs were as commonly shared as frequency response graphs and if impedance measurements of cables were similarly shared (and accurate and consistent), we'd have a much better sense for how/why cables affect different sets differently. But these responses also change with power, gain, etc. from amps, so it quickly becomes complicated. The best answer IMO would be if cables were all spec'ed and manufactured the same, then we could just focus on the IEMs themselves. Alas. For me, rather than taking shots in the dark with cables, I try to keep my cables as similar in build, length, and connections as possible. It at least takes one major variable out of the equation. It's also quite easy to measure the impedance of a cable without any fancy equipment. A basic multimeter is all you need. Not the most accurate measurement, but good enough.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #102,140 of 104,120
For me, it is just a too big step (my most expensive IEM (at least unitl now) is TSMR-X) even with early bird price. Maybe a second hand one in ~6 month ...

What I like to have is a serious comparision with I/O Volare (which IEM I can afford with a stretch). Just checking the drivers it looks very similar (yeah, I know, tuning is more important).

Thank you in advance !

I absolutely understand that; I too would be keen to see some comparisons with the Volare. The asking price, while competitive for the driver count, is a bit much to take a punt on when it involves an unknown (to me at least) brand with no track record. Any more reviewers getting a copy perhaps?

And yeah, TSMR X isn’t exactly small change either - it was one of the releases I had to pass on because I knew by then that the Voltage was on the horizon and was trying to rationalise my spending so that I would be able to afford it when the time came.

May 19, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #102,141 of 104,120
There's a seller on AliExpress selling the Juzear Flame (pretty much the same IEM as the 41t) for like $80 less than everyone else so I obviously had to pick that up.

Also snagged the KZ Merga for $7, those stacked DDs piqued my interest.

I'm gonna have to actually start writing reviews... Ordering 9 IEMs over the course of a week isn't exactly sane unless I find more value in them than just listening to them 😭

May 19, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #102,142 of 104,120
For the first time in a few years… nothing.

Not while I have these in my ears.

IMG_5578.jpeg
IMG_5518.jpeg

Voltage has not only been dominating ear time to the exclusion of all else, it’s pretty much killed all desire to acquire anything else. It’s not exactly cheap but the number of budget and mid-tier releases I’ve sat out has made it worthwhile.

My current impressions are here.

But since this is the discovery thread, I
I don’t deny being curious about Pilgrim Noir, having heard the Pilgrim, but am holding off on both until I see some comparisons based on the final tuning of the Noir. And the Aful Explorer sounds like it’d be my jam.

Only about 15 pages to catch up with now…
Beautiful set up. Great pics.

May 19, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #102,143 of 104,120
Listening to a variety of jazz with the CCA Polaris, and my god, the timbre on these is SICK for $20.00. CCA really tuned these in such a way, that they can hold their own or exceed the timbre and top end extension on every single DD I own or have owned. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the three KZ/CCA incoming WILL NOT satisfy me in this particular facet, and the Polaris absolutely slays the Trio when it comes to timbre and treble extension. If the Trio was tuned with the Polaris treble and timbre, I'd probably never want or need another IEM? Yeah, I'm that confident it would be my END GAME IEM, but alas, though the Trio treble is good, it's not this. CCA. please give me a Trio tuned with Polaris treble! The Trio Pro X with improved drivers and sell it for $100.00?! I'll buy two! LOL

May 19, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #102,144 of 104,120
EA1000_00008.jpg

Is it just me of this box looks like a surprised face
Intentional! That's the look on your face when you listen to a Simgot and get that divine timbre and treble.

May 19, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #102,145 of 104,120
Envy is not owning them but have a chance to try them out. I live in Hungary, I have no chance 😥 .
So you're saying you're hungary to try these summit-fi IEMs out?! LOL I'll let myself out now.

May 19, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #102,146 of 104,120
I tried importing the tracking number from my troublesome shipment of TRN Conch and one other item into the Shop app and it claims they're getting delivered in Italy!! Aliexpress says they're sitting at the processing center after having been returned to the warehouse and sent back. irritating! Who knows when or if they will ever get there. So far, only like 1/6 orders actually worked for me on Aliexpress. Cannot fathom how you all order expensive equipment on there but I guess they do have a decent refund policy...
Here's the thing, me personally, I don't and would never order expensive gear from Ali. Did it ONE TIME, and it backfired on me. Gear was defective after a couple months. Now I don't ever have issues with shipping with Ali, other that it takes forever for something to arrive, so unless it's something highly anticipated, I generally just forget I ordered it, and I'm surprised when I get the alert it's delivered, but so far, I've been very lucky that shipped orders usually get delivered and not lost or fake tracking numbers issued.

May 19, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #102,147 of 104,120
What audio gear are you guys/gals looking forward to getting?

Either planned purchase or something on the way.
Nothing on the way except for the long lost EA1000 which I have honestly given up on already.

Want-to-purchase list is getting long, but what I absolutely need ASAP is a small portable DAP and a 4.4 Meze cable for my 109 Pro's.

In the fast-paced world of IEMs I'm waiting to see how Supermix 4 turns out and I might have to grab a 634Ears product of whichever description at some point. Final E5000 too.

May 19, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #102,148 of 104,120
I couldn't possibly guess what each individual manufacturer/designer does, but the reason for any changes to FR with cables is due to impedance matching (or mismatching). IEM impedances can get very low, which means that even subtle shifts in impedances of cables, connectors, and amps all matter. Also worth remembering that not all IEMs have a flat impedance, so the impedance ratings that manufacturers give us are just averages across a narrow (and often unstated) frequency range--say, 500Hz-5kHz.

If impedance graphs of IEMs were as commonly shared as frequency response graphs and if impedance measurements of cables were similarly shared (and accurate and consistent), we'd have a much better sense for how/why cables affect different sets differently. But these responses also change with power, gain, etc. from amps, so it quickly becomes complicated. The best answer IMO would be if cables were all spec'ed and manufactured the same, then we could just focus on the IEMs themselves. Alas. For me, rather than taking shots in the dark with cables, I try to keep my cables as similar in build, length, and connections as possible. It at least takes one major variable out of the equation. It's also quite easy to measure the impedance of a cable without any fancy equipment. A basic multimeter is all you need. Not the most accurate measurement, but good enough.
Well said.

May 19, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #102,149 of 104,120
Also, I have a doubt, and I would be very thankful if some more experienced users on the forum could help me dissipate it: do companies design and tune their IEMs with their stock cable in mind, or is the IEMs tuning completely ‘unrelated’ to the cable they will later pair said IEMs with? I’m quite skeptical of this probability because it would make the stock cable a de facto fortuity, and the tuning of IEMs would be created based on an impossible ‘cableless’ experience. Furthermore, this will make the ‘vanilla’ experience of an IEM (with the stock cable) not differ from any other, so, as I said, a fortuity.

In a nutshell - with larger manufacturers, the packaged accessories may be decided by engineers or product managers who may or may not believe that these things make a difference to the sound and who may need to keep a lid on costs. Smaller boutique IEM makers may be more likely to match their cables more intentionally, or develop a stock cable that works well across their IEMs, like Campfire does, but cost and economies of scale can be an issue.

The topic rears its head every now and then - I recall seeing an extended discussion in the Watercooler thread on this some weeks ago, over the Aroma Jewel’s stock cable, which everyone seems to love to hate - and all this was expounded on in much more detail there, so that’s where to look if you want to read more.

Btw I have no wish to argue or change anyone’s mind over this either. I personally have some IEMs with stock cables I’m very happy with (Voltage, among others) and others I’d recable at the drop of a hat, and all I can say for myself is life would be easier and I’d have more money if I couldn’t hear differences.

May 19, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #102,150 of 104,120
What audio gear are you guys/gals looking forward to getting?

Either planned purchase or something on the way.

For me:
  • 634ears LOAK TX-02 - one of the 3 flagship variants, should be finished very soon.
  • Dita Project M - absolutely stunning IEM and I want to hear it after all the praise, getting one in June.
  • Kinera Celest Relentless - will be my first Celest, doubt it come here before July.
  • Kinera QoA Adonis 2.0 - will be coming together with Relentless.
  • Letshuoer new dongle.

And for what I want to get, but money might stop me. Pilgrim Noir, Symphonium Titan, CFA Fathom. I'll add a last one, AFUL Explorer look good.
Incoming : KZ ZS10 Pro 2, KZ Merga, and CCA Hydro

Planned Purchase list :

1. Simgot Supermix 4 (probably done deal)

Potentially :

1. Penon 10th Anniversary
2. Reecho SG-01 Dawn
3. Dita Project M
4. The next cool CCA release

Users who are viewing this thread

Back