The Qudelix-5K thread
May 19, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #4,801 of 4,830
Too bad we cant meet, otherwise i would bet you you wouldnt be able to tell which is which if you didnt know beforehand :). Unless the BTR7 intentionally colors the sound like the ifi blu does.
! theres a knock on GoBlu!.. thought it was a "natural" analog in the main, without XBass button.. and then also with the XBass button it's at least an analog boost and not a bloated effect

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #4,803 of 4,830
Too bad we cant meet, otherwise i would bet you you wouldnt be able to tell which is which if you didnt know beforehand :). Unless the BTR7 intentionally colors the sound like the ifi blu does.

If we could meet, I wouldn't mind doing the blind test with BTR7 at all, I would be much more interested in exchanging opinions on our equipment, trying equipment I don't have, discovering new music I don't know, etc😂

Coming to the point, I personally believe that most of the sonic differences we perceive are due more to the transducers than to the amps/DACs (psychoacoustic considerations aside).

However, I think that some sonic differences exist between the various electronics.

I don't think BTR7 intentionally 'colours' the music (it doesn't have xbass filters or similar), I believe that the 'colour' that differentiates the sound performance of some DAC/AMPs is due to the differences between the power supply and amplification/filter circuits .

Then there are some sonic differences due to the different DACs and their circuit implementation, differences that become more evident with R2R DACs for example.

Anyway,
a blind test, well done so as to be scientifically valid, I have actually never performed it with BTR7 - 5K.

Maybe I will
(I have little time available unfortunately).

I made some comparisons between RU6(NOS)-RU7(dsd256)-GOLD-BAR(BP), and, using resolving IEMs (EA1000 for example) and modern quality recordings,
I can hear the sonic differences between the various devices.

But all this has nothing to do with the 5K - BTR7 comparison.

May 19, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #4,805 of 4,830
I've been loving my Qudelix 5k so far (couple months). I primarily use it in USB mode in combination with Tidal's exclusive mode. This means that Tidal's volume is set at max, and I adjust volume either via the 5k's hardware buttons or via the Chrome extension. Primary headphones are a pair of HD 800S.

However, I'd really love to have a physical volume dial control the Qudelix 5k volume. I have a rotary encoder on my QMK keyboard which controls Windows volume - is there some way I could program this to interface with the 5k? Or use some kind of third party USB volume dial?

Or, alternately, I know I could just use the Qudelix 5k as a DAC and plug it into an amp...but I'd rather not add another piece into the chain if possible, the 5k has enough power for me at least so far. Something like the https://jdslabs.com/product/el-amp-ii/ looks nice, but seems a bit expensive for what I was thinking.

Any pointers or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #4,806 of 4,830
Power output difference imo isnt worth mentioning as a pro for the BTR7, as in reality 320mw its a 1db loudness difference over 240mw. Also max voltage output is 3.2v on the balanced port fpr the BTR7, while its 4v on the 5K, meaning 5K will be louder with higher impedance headphones.

Edit:
Also noise floor of 5.5uV for the BTR7 on the balanced is high, and i think it has some potential of having hiss with high sensitivity iems. Dont have the device so im just assuming, based on E1DA Powerdac 2.1 i used to have, which had around 7uV noise floor if i recall correctly, and it had hiss even with iems with 100db/mw sensitivity.
I agree about power not being significantly higher, it is higher though if someone cares enough I guess.

Also, the BTR7 doesn't have any hiss even with super sensitive IEMs, to my ears at least, so it's pretty good in this regard.

Purely from a sound perspective I do like the BTR7 slightly more, I find it a bit more crisp, it's hard to describe but it's like it has more dynamic range and it's more neutral whereas I find the 5k to be ever slightly warm.

The BTR7 with the 5k software would be my grail device I swear.

May 20, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #4,807 of 4,830
And the BTR7 is also twice the price of the 5K. In that price range, I'd start considering things like DAPs and newer non-bluetooth dongles.

True. I have the Hiby R3 II for comparison, which is probably the closest to the BTR7 and yeah, except the clunky Bluetooth operation it's not too bad.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #4,808 of 4,830
Been a bit since i have looked at this thread... seems it devolved into a arguments of opinions for a bit...again... lol.

I will say, that the Q 5K has been the best small portable BT DAC i have come across. It is quality sound and software.
I have used Fiio products, and have had nothing but issues, failed hardware, defects, quality control issues etc. The main issues though, terrible firmware and apps.
Qudelix is light-years ahead in firmware and software development and stability than Fiio, imo.
Fiio products physically feel premium in build, but are extremely lacking in firmware and app maturity and quality.

However, in customer support, in my experience, Qudelix lack in basic friendliness and communication skills. They blame the user first, and say they know better and are very standoffish and defensive when any user gives a suggestion or trys to explain their use case or feature request.
(Fiio, they just gave me the never ending run around when i needed support, copy paste very poor English response, and never directly addressed my issues nor issued me a rma)

I have 3x Qudelix 5K's. One was plugged into power for a few years and was my connection from my Apple TV 4K to my desktop speaker set, for my TV/movie watching etc. One was for use with my main full-sized headphones(SkullCandy Crusher Evo) and one for my earbuds(various) and occasionally connected to my ipad via usb c. Have zero issues with any of them. The software (app or browser extension) has been amazing! The EQ is amazing! The sound, after much time tweaking EQ, amazing!.

However, i ended up changing up my audio/media setup(too much to explain) and ended up retiring the 5K's. I have since switched to using a Fosi Audio Q5 Pro DAC and source input of Optical from my new Samsung tv's toslink out (USB audio on Samsungs tvs is garbage). This powers both my speaker set, and is great for headphones. It only has physical knobs for manual (analog) adjustment of Bass/Treble, no EQ, but i find i do not need the fancy EQ of the Q 5K, in most situations now. (my hearing also has changed, as i get older, or cause i was stupid and caused myself some hearing damage...long story... )

I must say though, Fosi Audio, is a EXCELLENT company. Very willing to communicate with their users and discus future products and feature enhancements etc. Even inviting many to their invite only "Product Development" group and is slowly allowing for beta testing of products. They are not really in the "portable DAC" market, focusing more on amps and pre-amps, and desktop style DACs. Nor do they have any app controlled DACs, yet. But they seem to be interested into getting into this market, or at least expanding their product offerings. I would suggest keeping an eye on them and check out what products they do offer, if they suit your needs.

As for my Quidelix 5k's.... may sell 2 of them, and keep one. But am a bit lazy havn't touched my ebay account in years... :smirk_cat:

TLDR: Moved on from the Qudelix 5K. It still a great portable DAC, best BT DAC i have owned...

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #4,809 of 4,830
However, i ended up changing up my audio/media setup(too much to explain) and ended up retiring the 5K's. I have since switched to using a Fosi Audio Q5 Pro DAC

A few Fosi Audio products do not have linear outputs, so you may want to check yours maybe, if you care about this. I know for certain the K5 Pro had a dip in bass not correctable with the bass control.

May 27, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #4,810 of 4,830
A few Fosi Audio products do not have linear outputs, so you may want to check yours maybe, if you care about this. I know for certain the K5 Pro had a dip in bass not correctable with the bass control.
Not sure what you mean by "linear outputs".
The K5 Pro has RCA out and 3.5mm headphone out.
If you mean not a 1:1 linear volume output, that is not an issue for me, since i also have the volume of the speakers and its internal amp to deal with.
(for speaker output) I set the K5 DAC at about 60% volume and use IR remote to adjust the speakers volume it self. (its a annoying this way, but I can't always reach the physical DAC to adjust the volume. (Tried a few no name HDMI ARC adapter to RCA/Toslink off Amazon, and that gives me TV volume control via CEC, but they poor sound quality, and connection issues.)

I have the K5 Pro "Gaming" it is same as K5 Pro but with a Mic in jack.
Their EQ curve they sent me does show a maybe 0.5db drop in low end bass 20hz-60hz, but the EQ curve for sure boost that lowest end up to +16db (20hz to 100hz is bass the range the knob adjusts) The DAC overall by default, seems to have a slight boost in the mids range. (200hz to 1K) There is not Mid adjustment knob though.
If anything, i find too much bass, and lower it a tad (for my 2.,1 speakers output). My full sized headphones are bass cannons in of them selves with no Bass added.
I mentioned that my hearing changed recently, I am more sensitive to low frequency now, so i find myself removing bass more than I actually want to, or else my inner ear physically hurts.

(I also had the Fosi Q4 DAC before i upgraded to the K5 Pro. K5 Pro has a tad wider sound stage and a tad more refined sound, to my ears. Also is more powerful)

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #4,811 of 4,830
Been a bit since i have looked at this thread... seems it devolved into a arguments of opinions for a bit...again... lol.

I will say, that the Q 5K has been the best small portable BT DAC i have come across. It is quality sound and software.
I have used Fiio products, and have had nothing but issues, failed hardware, defects, quality control issues etc. The main issues though, terrible firmware and apps.
Qudelix is light-years ahead in firmware and software development and stability than Fiio, imo.
Fiio products physically feel premium in build, but are extremely lacking in firmware and app maturity and quality.

However, in customer support, in my experience, Qudelix lack in basic friendliness and communication skills. They blame the user first, and say they know better and are very standoffish and defensive when any user gives a suggestion or trys to explain their use case or feature request.
(Fiio, they just gave me the never ending run around when i needed support, copy paste very poor English response, and never directly addressed my issues nor issued me a rma)

I have 3x Qudelix 5K's. One was plugged into power for a few years and was my connection from my Apple TV 4K to my desktop speaker set, for my TV/movie watching etc. One was for use with my main full-sized headphones(SkullCandy Crusher Evo) and one for my earbuds(various) and occasionally connected to my ipad via usb c. Have zero issues with any of them. The software (app or browser extension) has been amazing! The EQ is amazing! The sound, after much time tweaking EQ, amazing!.

However, i ended up changing up my audio/media setup(too much to explain) and ended up retiring the 5K's. I have since switched to using a Fosi Audio Q5 Pro DAC and source input of Optical from my new Samsung tv's toslink out. This powers both my speaker set, and is great for headphones. It only has physical knobs for manual (analog) adjustment of Bass/Treble, no EQ, but i find i do not need the fancy EQ of the Q 5K, in most situations now. (my hearing also has changed, as i get older, or cause i was stupid and caused myself some hearing damage...long story... )

I must say though, Fosi Audio, is a EXCELLENT company. Very willing to communicate with their users and discus future products and feature enhancements etc. Even inviting many to their invite only "Product Development" group and is slowly allowing for beta testing of products. They are not really in the "portable DAC" market, focusing more on amps and pre-amps, and desktop style DACs. Nor do they have any app controlled DACs, yet. But they seem to be interested into getting into this market, or at least expanding their product offerings. I would suggest keeping an eye on them and check out what products they do offer, if they suit your needs.

As for my Quidelix 5k's.... may sell 2 of them, and keep one. But am a bit lazy havn't touched my ebay account in years... :smirk_cat:

TLDR: Moved on from the Qudelix 5K. It still a great portable DAC, best BT DAC i have owned...
Hi, thanks for your rounded, full experience...
I found it interesting, as I am buying primarily right now for ie600 ,that Precog, the iem reviewer guy,, when doing Headphones.com latest video, "what gear+optional combo,dac etc, would you buy given these budgets,, $200/400/700/1000/2000+/Unlimited$",, every iem he picked maxed out the budget and he merely added the 10buck apple dongle. Kind of telling that from an expert its all they need to run iems.
Anyway.. l look forward to endless tinkering with it

Just found his overall impression a out dongles with this review of QuestyleM15,..interesting enough

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/precogs-iem-reviews-impressions.937468/page-165

Edit: here are his quick impressions of BTR7,, and but not quite vs the 5K

"I don't actually find myself too bothered by the size of the BTR7, although it positively dwarfs my Qudelix 5K. I guess everything's relative, especially when I've been using the DX300 with the Diva, right? :sweat_smile: I also mostly just use the BTR7 at my desk, in bed, and around the house. Compared to the Qudelix 5K, I think the Qudelix 5K is more bang for your buck and has way better software integration. On the other hand, the advantage of the BTR7 mostly lies in its sound quality (and 4.4mm support) and build quality."

From Precogs BTR7 review
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/precogs-iem-reviews-impressions.937468/page-182#post-17179664

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #4,812 of 4,830
Not sure what you mean by "linear outputs".

By linear I mean the output is not flat. With the K5 Pro there was a dip in the bass, which meant less bass, starting around 200Hz and going down IIRC about 4dB overall which is noticeable. I measured the K5 pro myself and my PC's motherboard output is better overall.

Of course, this is not important if it doesn't bother you.

May 27, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #4,813 of 4,830
By linear I mean the output is not flat. With the K5 Pro there was a dip in the bass, which meant less bass, starting around 200Hz and going down IIRC about 4dB overall which is noticeable. I measured the K5 pro myself and my PC's motherboard output is better overall.

Of course, this is not important if it doesn't bother you.
Ah. Thanks for clarifying. Yea... I don't care for "flat" sound output.

I think the Qudelix 5K is supposed to be flat when EQ is disabled? Though, to me, the several DAC Filters they offer, also changes the sound profile to me.
Qudelix themselves makes a big deal over using those "Auto EQ" Profiles they have in their app that claim to be tested to make the specific headphone model listed to be flat/neutral/ Reference signal....for those who want that.

May 27, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #4,814 of 4,830
Ah. Thanks for clarifying. Yea... I don't care for "flat" sound output.

I think the Qudelix 5K is supposed to be flat when EQ is disabled? Though, to me, the several DAC Filters they offer, also changes the sound profile to me.
Qudelix themselves makes a big deal over using those "Auto EQ" Profiles they have in their app that claim to be tested to make the specific headphone model listed to be flat/neutral/ Reference signal....for those who want that.
Linearity, DAC filters, and Harman neutral are referring to (mostly) different things.

To simplify, “linearity” refers to the amount of distortion/deviation at 0dB (max output) across the audible spectrum from 20Hz-20kHz. “DAC filters” are where and how rolloff happens above 20kHz. And “Harman neutral” (which is what AutoEQ aims for) is a listener preference average for transducers that (supposedly) sounds “tonally correct” to people because of our ear anatomy (though many of us prefer alternate tunings that are not “Harman neutral”).

The first two are objectively measurable. The third is entirely subjective. The terms can get confused, but generally, “linear,” “flat,” and “neutral” each refer to three very different things.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #4,815 of 4,830
I will say, that the Q 5K has been the best small portable BT DAC i have come across.
Second that. I also have 3x 5K and 1x T71 (and several PEQ-enabled cables for my IEMs). I have limited experience with FiiO products: like the HW… not impressed by the SW.
I also agree that support is one area Qudelix could improve a lot. The 5K (and T71!) is great, but can quickly become very technical. They are missing somebody like @Joe Bloggs (HiBy): a mix of great technical expertise, friendliness, and listening skills…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back