WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Apr 28, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #2,568 of 2,601
My WA7 with upgraded tubes really does drive these HEDD ...not the easiest to drive either.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 28, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #2,569 of 2,601
Just purchased a pair of Sylvania JAN 5814A tubes on ebay, they arrived and after plugging them in to the amp, Im not getting any sound. Has anyone dealt with a problem like this before? Are my tubes DOA?
Only way to really know is a tube tester.

Those tubes should be usable in the amp. The only reason the name is different is they are a military grade version. (12AU7, 5481A, CV4003 and ECC82 should all be compatible.)

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #2,571 of 2,601
I'm assuming he's talking about the tube power supply, which takes 12au7. (In mine, I actually use RCA 6350's with an adapter.) For the amp section, there are really very few upgrades and to be honest the sound difference is minimal at best. But for some reason, changing the power tubes in the tube power supply (If you have the solid state one, then this doesn't apply) make a huge difference.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,572 of 2,601
Hi all, I’ve got the WA7 (stock tubes and SS power supply) paired with LCD 2C. I enjoy the sound a lot but find it can be a touch dark and muddy. Any chance upgrading to the EH gold pin tubes would open up the top end of the sound and give more clarity? Or would I be better off with a different pairing altogether? Appreciate any thoughts.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2,575 of 2,601
Oh boy... guess I asked. Do you have experience with that specific combo (wa7+lcd2c) or is that more of a generalization for the WA7 with all headphones?
I had the LCD 2
V1

I had the fire flies and they are really top of the line for the LCD and synergy I just ended up going in another direction with headphones that were really really power-hungry but what’s cool because I spoke with Michael at WOO the way the fire flies works is it pushes one watt Really really fast… So even with a demanding phone it will still drive them well. But yeah sorry man you will need the tube power supply and upgraded tubes for both the power supply in the units

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #2,576 of 2,601
I had the LCD 2
V1

I had the fire flies and they are really top of the line for the LCD and synergy I just ended up going in another direction with headphones that were really really power-hungry but what’s cool because I spoke with Michael at WOO the way the fire flies works is it pushes one watt Really really fast… So even with a demanding phone it will still drive them well. But yeah sorry man you will need the tube power supply and upgraded tubes for both the power supply in the units

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

I’ll probably start with the tube upgrade for the Amp and work my way up to the tube power supply at some point.

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #2,577 of 2,601
Need the upgraded tubes AND power supply with upgraded tubes. Nirvana
I have been happy with my WA7 V1 w/solid state PS and the EH tube upgrade. Curious why a tube PS w/upgraded tubes could possibly make a difference in audio? The tube PS certainly has great aesthetics, but isn't the whole purpose of a power supply to produce clean stable power? I would think the SS PS would be equivalent to the tube and even a better choice since the tubes degrade overtime as they age.

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #2,578 of 2,601
I have been happy with my WA7 V1 w/solid state PS and the EH tube upgrade. Curious why a tube PS w/upgraded tubes could possibly make a difference in audio? The tube PS certainly has great aesthetics, but isn't the whole purpose of a power supply to produce clean stable power? I would think the SS PS would be equivalent to the tube and even a better choice since the tubes degrade overtime as they age.
I don’t know. It just does.
Call Woo

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #2,579 of 2,601
It is all about SAG .
Solid state rectifiers are more perfect in engineering terms , tube rectifiers are slow .
When a high level of DC is required by the amp tube rectifiers will experience voltage drop and require some milliseconds to recover this is sag .
More current = more sag , older tube = more sag , less current available = more sag .

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #2,580 of 2,601
@paulybatz @Dogmatrix Thx, so I gather as with all tubes that introduce distortions that are somehow pleasant to the ear, applies to the power as well. Now as to upgraded tubes, they provide the best distortion the ears like and therefore bring a higher price. Guess that they have SAG in all the right places. Please enjoy, I think for now I will stick with my SS gear. Speaking of distortions that are pleasant to the ear my SS Alex Cavalli Liquid Carbon X amp gets most of my ear time in balanced mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back