DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
May 6, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #2,386 of 2,457
I've actually bought both. Here's my opinion: the Glacier has more forward vocals, while the MK III is a bit warmer and the vocals are less upfront. The treble on the Glacier is smoother and, in my opinion, better. You can hear the difference when you compare them side by side.

Oh, and one more thing—the Glacier is comfy but heavier than the MK III.

Could you please tell me on the Dunu Glacier if the 's' and 'sh' sounds are harsh and very prominent due to the 6k peak on the graph? Is it aggressive, can I listen to it at loud volumes without it being harsh on the upper midrange?

May 6, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #2,387 of 2,457

image.png

Is there anything that is comparable to this so I can possibly EQ my current IEM and get a slight idea what it will be like? I'm not familiar enough with things to blindly purchase anything. And I don't think we'll have reviews before pre-orders open up. I don't really want to be on another months long waiting list after what happened to Dusk.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #2,388 of 2,457

image.png

Is there anything that is comparable to this so I can possibly EQ my current IEM and get a slight idea what it will be like? I'm not familiar enough with things to blindly purchase anything. And I don't think we'll have reviews before pre-orders open up. I don't really want to be on another months long waiting list after what happened to Dusk.

It looks like a heftier, smoother Hexa or a punchier, slightly more vocal forward Dusk with the Default DSP, if we must force a similarity. Versus the Hexa, the relationship of fundamental notes is kept the same (same lower-mid glide, incidentally[?] matching IEF 2023, reputed to be most "speaker-like" sounding by some) but with more bass and treble and less upper mids. The ear-gain compensation is at the right place (3 kHz), no nasality or honkiness to the vocals. I think it's a safe bet but it might be too warm or smooth for those looking for a clean, very transparent, spacious sound.

graph.png

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #2,390 of 2,457
Sorry to stress this here, but I guess tha DaVinci should be price wise around the midrange (400-600$) or?
...and if so, how would it's sound signature compare to the SA6 MkII ?
It will be sold at 299$.

May 7, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #2,392 of 2,457
Wow, then even more so it would be interesting how it compares to the mid-range bestseller, the SA6 MkII which is nearly double the asking price.

Thanks @pevinkarker !
I really didn't like the SA6 Mk2, sold if after a few weeks. The upper mids from 1.5khz to 4khz just sounds weird, especially with the over emphasized upper treble.

The DaVinci looks way better tuned for me.

Dunu QC and accessories are really good, I love my Mirai. Seems like the DaVinvi will be a hit.

May 7, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #2,393 of 2,457
I really don't know where this trend of collaborations is coming, not only with Dunu but also with other companies.
The asked prices for these types of IEMs are too high considering that the reviewers are not sound engineers, musicians or even audio professionals.
I was very excited about the Glacier but since I saw these comments my excitement is gone and I will probably skip the Glacier as well.

May 7, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #2,394 of 2,457
I fully understand your thread of thought. I also think that's mostly just marketing bla bla, but what these collaborators mostly do is giving feedback to the engineers on what they think is a "trendy" crowd-pleasing tuning. Sometimes they also have influence on packed accessories and color design of the shells... but gladly god forbid, they don't help to develop these IEMs.

So in other words, if you know a reviewer and his/her personal preferences well, and you know the most hip trend, you can at least have a good educational guess what these IEMs will probably sound like.
And to be honest, mostly these collab IEMs are in the more reasonable price range... but true, it's still a hit or miss with these and what's left is a short lived hype.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #2,395 of 2,457
I really don't know where this trend of collaborations is coming, not only with Dunu but also with other companies.
The asked prices for these types of IEMs are too high considering that the reviewers are not sound engineers, musicians or even audio professionals.
I was very excited about the Glacier but since I saw these comments my excitement is gone and I will probably skip the Glacier as well.
Oh, and tbh, I definitely wouldn't skip the Glacier for that reason because to my knowledge the Glacier isn't a collab product... maybe you mixed that up with the DaVinci?
Nevertheless, the Glacier is quite high on my painful-to-acquire-but-still-wanna-have list :wink:

May 7, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #2,396 of 2,457
I really like the Glacier and i was just one click away from purchasing it.
I was only waiting for a single review to confirm that the upper mids are not harsh or too prominent as I enjoy listening to music loudly.
If I make a wrong purchase and want to send it back they will not accept returns due to hygiene reasons and where I live it is not possible to test them.

The YouTuber mentioned that the Glacier has a digital timbre and is not that great, while other YouTubers say it's a 4-star IEM and Dunu collaborates with these people.
I don’t know what to believe as I need genuine, real and honest opinions.

As for collaborations, I'm not a fan of the idea. While I understand that they have a big fan base and there's marketing involved they seem to prioritize promoting their own IEMs making the rest not only less visible but also worse.

Despite the Da Vinci IEM, when I went to purchase the Glacier on the Dunu website, It was in My face on top of the website a new collaboration ,Marai IEM and some other reviewers which I don't like at all.
I left the website immediately.
They might as well call their website DunuTube from now on to match the business model.

May 7, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #2,397 of 2,457
I meant to say that the treble on the Glacier is more detailed, never harsh or fatiguing. Personally, I sometimes find the MK III's treble a bit too much—it is a little spicy for my taste. I've tried different ear tips to make it more comfortable, but I still felt fatigued. The MK III has decent treble, but it doesn't have the same level of detail as the Glacier. The Glacier's treble sounds so natural and real. Listening to cello music on the Glacier is heaven; on the MK III, it depends on the track.

I hope this helps.
Is mest mk3 or glacier more surround sound/holographic? Cause from my memory mest is really holographic.

Does the surface of glacier prone to scratches?

Which iem gives more detail and resolution and which one gives more of a wow factor?

Thanks for all the replies.

May 7, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #2,398 of 2,457
I really like the Glacier and i was just one click away from purchasing it.
I was only waiting for a single review to confirm that the upper mids are not harsh or too prominent as I enjoy listening to music loudly.
If I make a wrong purchase and want to send it back they will not accept returns due to hygiene reasons and where I live it is not possible to test them.

The YouTuber mentioned that the Glacier has a digital timbre and is not that great, while other YouTubers say it's a 4-star IEM and Dunu collaborates with these people.
I don’t know what to believe as I need genuine, real and honest opinions.

As for collaborations, I'm not a fan of the idea. While I understand that they have a big fan base and there's marketing involved they seem to prioritize promoting their own IEMs making the rest not only less visible but also worse.

Despite the Da Vinci IEM, when I went to purchase the Glacier on the Dunu website, It was in My face on top of the website a new collaboration ,Marai IEM and some other reviewers which I don't like at all.
I left the website immediately.
They might as well call their website DunuTube from now on to match the business model.
I listened to them at CanJam and was very hopeful but I found them shouty in the upper mids and it was easily noticeable so I just moved on.

May 7, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #2,399 of 2,457
Is mest mk3 or glacier more surround sound/holographic? Cause from my memory mest is really holographic.

Does the surface of glacier prone to scratches?

Which iem gives more detail and resolution and which one gives more of a wow factor?

Thanks for all the replies.
To be fair, it's not fair to compare most IEM with MEST III in terms of the "holographic" soundstage because those vibrating ceramic plates in MEST does produce an uncanny reverberation sound in the midrange region that others wouldn't be able to do. Of course, the assumption is that you can wear the MEST III deep enough to hear / feel the vibrating plates.

May 7, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #2,400 of 2,457
Could you please tell me on the Dunu Glacier if the 's' and 'sh' sounds are harsh and very prominent due to the 6k peak on the graph? Is it aggressive, can I listen to it at loud volumes without it being harsh on the upper midrange?
Hey there, sorry for the late reply; I didn't see your message earlier. I've been using the DUNU Glacier as my daily driver since I got it, and I'm loving it more and more every day. Whether the 's' and 'sh' sounds are emphasized can depend on personal sensitivity and preferences. But in my opinion, the Glacier doesn't make these sounds harsh. I'm someone who's sensitive to treble, and I listen to a lot of rock and metal, but I've never found the Glacier to be harsh or sibilant. The 's' and 'sh' sounds are there, and they're clear and forward. It's also important to remember that the quality of the recording can affect how harsh or smooth the music sounds. The Glacier is a very detailed IEM that faithfully reproduces what's in your music, and listening at loud volumes just reveals more detail without adding harshness. However, it's always good to get another opinion before making a decision, as this is just my experience with the Glacier.

Just a friendly reminder that some sounds can be harsh in real life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back