Earbuds Round-Up
May 5, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #75,286 of 75,492
What are you listening to today?

For me, since I was talking about the Chaconne, I brought them out and am enjoying some fantastic prog rock. This group doesn't use a ton of sub bass, and the music is not too busy all the time, so they sound sublime with the Chaconne; at least to my ears today (not normally their best match, but it seems to be doing very well with it).
20240505_095057.jpg

Sub Lunar on Bandcamp

Thank you very much!

Regarding sound,

I'm sensitive to high mid and high treble (peaks, sibilance etc.), and I like bass.

I already had the yuin pk2 and I used them to death until the cable broke (loved them). Maybe I should just buy them again, but...

Do you think that the DQSM Panda PK2s would be a good bet for me?

And going a little cheaper, how about the NiceHCK B40 and NiceHCK B70? Do you know if they have recessed mids and treble?

Regarding the Qian39 I heard someone saying that this earbud "could be too aggressive because of the evident lower-mids bump, especially noticeable in male vocals and basslines." So I got a little scared of it haha.

I think that what I'm looking for is a small earbud with a "laid back" sound signature. The DQSM Panda PK2s that you recommend I liked a lot and maybe I will try it, but I just want to know if there is other options more cheaper with a "laid back" sound signature. :ksc75smile:
Not for nothing, but I would suggest you look at the FiiO FF1. They are warm and laid back, and are NOT offensive in any frequency. They aren't the most technical set of buds, but they are only $20, and you get a ton of accessories (except a case to keep them in). Some people say they sound "meh", but I disagree and think that they sound very good for their price (and somewhat above as well). These have quite a bit of bass quantity as well. They have some great clarity to them as well while not being either rolled off nor boosted. I can't speak to how small or large they might be because all my buds seem to be the same size to my ears (the weight and balance is what makes some fit better than others), but they are SUPER light (yet seem to be built very sturdily).

Plus, you can get them on Amazon, and can very easily return them if you find them not to your liking. :wink:

Just my $.02 and of course YMMV. :)

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #75,287 of 75,492
Thank you very much!

Regarding sound,

I'm sensitive to high mid and high treble (peaks, sibilance etc.), and I like bass.

I already had the yuin pk2 and I used them to death until the cable broke (loved them). Maybe I should just buy them again, but...

Do you think that the DQSM Panda PK2s would be a good bet for me?

And going a little cheaper, how about the NiceHCK B40 and NiceHCK B70? Do you know if they have recessed mids and treble?

Regarding the Qian39 I heard someone saying that this earbud "could be too aggressive because of the evident lower-mids bump, especially noticeable in male vocals and basslines." So I got a little scared of it haha.

I think that what I'm looking for is a small earbud with a "laid back" sound signature. The DQSM Panda PK2s that you recommend I liked a lot and maybe I will try it, but I just want to know if there is other options more cheaper with a "laid back" sound signature. :ksc75smile:
Qian39 also has a review saying, "Great bass quality with some elevation. Mids and treble are very clean and tonally correct and with great timbre. GOD-tier comfort/fit.".

NiceHCK Between the B40 and B70, the B40 has a lower sound earbud.

As for DQSM pandas, old pandas were warm, but newer pandas are brighter and clearer.

And between DQSM Panda and B40, B40 is better because of better resolution, separation and clarity.

In conclusion, I recommend you Qian39 and NiceHCK B40.

Edit: If you don't mind the high price, I think Shozy BK (Balanced) is the best choice of PK type for you as it has a warm sound.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #75,288 of 75,492
Not for nothing, but I would suggest you look at the FiiO FF1. They are warm and laid back, and are NOT offensive in any frequency. They aren't the most technical set of buds, but they are only $20, and you get a ton of accessories (except a case to keep them in). Some people say they sound "meh", but I disagree and think that they sound very good for their price (and somewhat above as well). These have quite a bit of bass quantity as well. They have some great clarity to them as well while not being either rolled off nor boosted. I can't speak to how small or large they might be because all my buds seem to be the same size to my ears (the weight and balance is what makes some fit better than others), but they are SUPER light (yet seem to be built very sturdily).

Plus, you can get them on Amazon, and can very easily return them if you find them not to your liking. :wink:

Just my $.02 and of course YMMV. :)
I found really interesting the 0,78mm cable connector as I have a lot of those cables. Thank you!

Edit: it is unfortunately semi-proprietary, and most aftermarket 2-pin cables will not be able to fit in bummer, but I still am interested, thank you!

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #75,289 of 75,492
I found really interesting the 0,78mm cable connector as I have a lot of those cables. Thank you!

Edit: it is unfortunately semi-proprietary, and most aftermarket 2-pin cables will not be able to fit in bummer, but I still am interested, thank you!
You can create a significantly (very significantly) better sounding combination of a detachable cable and earbuds by buying the RY4S Plus and any cable without an earhook, like their production ones. You get to about the same price level as the FF1, but with a significantly more musical sound (detail, instrument separation, timbre), but at the price of poorer accessories. I own both (FF1 and RY4S Plus), and in terms of sound quality, the choice is quite clear for me. The FF1s are sitting in the box and I may never get them out again. Like everything related to sound, my opinion is highly subjective, but I recommend listening to the majority opinion in the case of the FF1 and avoiding unnecessary disappointment sonically 🖖.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...lgo_pvid=4c0a994f-2b91-46cd-8fca-0252225c35ce

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...lgo_pvid=3c6a9941-4ae3-41e9-9b6c-401e92072cc7

And hell, now I noticed in your earlier post that you don't like the size of the shells and are looking for something smaller. Sorry, I can't help you there...

May 5, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #75,290 of 75,492
Shozy BK (Balanced)
I've heard awesome things about that one and I think I'd love it. But the price is too much for me :sweat_smile: But yeah they must be really good for me
And hell, now I noticed in your earlier post that you don't like the size of the shells and are looking for something smaller. Sorry, I can't help you there...
yes... :worried: the r4ys would be so good if my ears could get used to the mx500 shell, but thank you anyway!

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #75,291 of 75,492
My LREY W03 Pro's arrived yesterday!

1714962417623.png

They are a beautiful piece of art, and I love seeing them in my ears.

My first impressions for sound were not entirely positive though. They immediately sounded hollow to my ears, and I'm very familiar with this sound from tuning my own buds.
Several times I've made some buds and started working my way through the DIY Earbuds Test playlist:

And I get through the songs testing imaging and Bass/Treble, and I like it but I have this feeling that something might be wrong, and then I get to the first song for testing timbre, "android52 - Everyday (ZERO ONE) [ft. Puniden]", and I immediately know that I need to stop and change something. This is also where I would have stopped with this bud.

So I fiddled with EQ for a bit, with some success, but finally ended up putting micropore tape over the side vent.
1714963123955.png

This solved the hollow sound problem for me. They honestly sound amazing. Beautiful bass and expansive stage with no harshness like others have said.

Well it's not a great solution, because I love the aesthetics of that vent, and covering up the art is no solution. Plus I'm sure it changes the sound in ways that the creator did not intend. I'm sure that LREY experimented with damping that vent as well.

It's also of course just my own listening experience. Others have nothing but praise for the original sound of the buds.

I've spent a few hours with them so far, but I'm going to listen to them a lot from now on with both micropore tape on and off. I do love hearing the sounds that other people like, so maybe that sound that I'm perceiving as 'hollow' will grow on me! It surely won't be the first time that my impression of a particular bud changes over time.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #75,292 of 75,492

1714962417623.png

My first impressions for sound were not entirely positive though. They immediately sounded hollow to my ears, and I'm very familiar with this sound from tuning my own buds.
Several times I've made some buds and started working my way through the DIY Earbuds Test playlist:

And I get through the songs testing imaging and Bass/Treble, and I like it but I have this feeling that something might be wrong, and then I get to the song "android52 - Everyday (ZERO ONE) [ft. Puniden]" and I immediately know that I need to stop and change something. This is also where I would have stopped with this bud.

So I fiddled with EQ for a bit, with some success, but finally ended up putting micropore tape over the side vent.
1714963123955.png
This solved the hollow sound problem for me. They honestly sound amazing. Beautiful bass and expansive stage with no harshness like others have said.

Well it's not a great solution, because I love the aesthetics of that vent, and covering up the art is no solution. Plus I'm sure it changes the sound in ways that the creator did not intend. I'm sure that LREY experimented with damping that vent as well.

It's also of course just my own listening experience. Others have nothing but praise for the original sound of the buds.

I've spent a few hours with them so far, but I'm going to listen to them a lot from now on with both micropore tape on and off. I do love hearing the sounds that other people like, so maybe that sound that I'm perceiving as 'hollow' will grow on me! It surely won't be the first time that my impression of a particular bud changes over time.

Congrats on getting your new buds. No matter what impressions someone gives for a set of buds or any other head gear that spurs on your purchase, we never know how they will sound until we try them for ourselves. I hope these buds will shine for you.

May 6, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #75,293 of 75,492

1714962417623.png

And I get through the songs testing imaging and Bass/Treble, and I like it but I have this feeling that something might be wrong, and then I get to the first song for testing timbre, "android52 - Everyday (ZERO ONE) [ft. Puniden]", and I immediately know that I need to stop and change something. This is also where I would have stopped with this bud.

1714963123955.png

Well... If the first thing you have to do after 10 min of listening is fiddling with eq and then sticking micropore tape on the vent then something is clearly off.
I wouldn't bother trying to get used to the hollow sound. Probably ist is better to try to get your tuning solution to look better. Maybe using a punching tool in the right size to cut a circular piece of micropore tape, and stick that on?
You write "others have nothing but praise for the original sound".
In fact there are 2 others on the thread who just received the buds a few days ago and posted pictures. However they didn't write one sentence about the sound! No immediate "I love my new shinys" reaction... 🤔 It makes me think, that they are being polite and don't want to hurt LRey's business, but are maybe a little underwhelmed, as you are. I hope they will be coming forward and tell us what they think.
Frankly I was mighty intriqued with the LRey buds, as somebody posted they found LRey to be their endgame in buds and stopped looking any further...
So I want to thank you for your honest opinion. It is not helpful if the happy customers praise a product furiously and unhappy customers stay quiet. That can create a hype train, and we all know that means everyone ends up with an empty wallet.

May 6, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #75,295 of 75,492

1714962417623.png

1714963123955.png

Do you know that you will end up opening them?
Is there any point in postponing the moment? 🙃

May 6, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #75,296 of 75,492

1714962417623.png

1714963123955.png

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Can you help me understand what hollowness means? Lack of bass? Do you normally use donut foams? I've tried the stock thin black full foam

I've had mine for a few days but really haven't had much time with them. So just quick impressions before where I compare W03 Pro with Aurora and TGXEAR sets (all using my ifi ZEN stack, Tidal):

- Aurora has much more sub and better overall bass than W03 Pro
- Good bass texture on both
- Treble more elevated on W03 Pro vs Aurora
- Both give the sense of nice detail but from elevated treble IMO
- Possibly similar imaging
- Aurora does something nice with the stage
- W03 Pro sounds like a mild V, whereas Aurora has a subbass bump and a slightly tamed treble

Compared to TGXEAR sets:
- Sub bass: Aurora > SBS ~ W03 Pro
- Mid bass: a loottt on SBS, so W03 Pro sounds a bit less boomy
- Mids: perhaps a bit recessed on both LREY sets
- Treble: smoother on SBS than W03 Pro; Aurora is smooter than W03 Pro
- Timbre: SBS > W03 Pro; not sure about Aurora (I think the elevated treble affects the timbre at times)
- Imaging: SBS > W03 Pro
- Stage: I think Aurora > SBS > W03 Pro here

May 6, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #75,297 of 75,492
Do you know that you will end up opening them?
Is there any point in postponing the moment? 🙃

There was someone in this thread who knew me so well :beyersmile:

May 6, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #75,298 of 75,492

Tbh I already expected it to sound like that. I would cover it with something like tuning mesh or metal mesh used in IEMs to keep its aesthetics.
1714984672529.png

1714984699336.png

1714984739732.png

Or just add some foam inside when you finally decided to open it. I had to block most of my Lrey Grado earbuds open back mesh because of this exact problem.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #75,299 of 75,492
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Can you help me understand what hollowness means? Lack of bass? Do you normally use donut foams? I've tried the stock thin black full foam

You too! Awesome comparison with Aurora, SBS, W03 pro.

As for 'hollowness', I can show you the EQ I was experimenting with to get rid of it. This was helping, although it didn't make it sound all that great. I tend to get frustrated with EQ, because I switch my buds between sources, so I didn't spend much time on it. The tape did a much better job.

1714994242441.png

For foams, I started out with Heigi's, which is what I use as a standard, because the stock foams tore when I was putting them on. I switched to FiiO crisp donuts as my first attempt to fix the hollow sound. They helped a little bit.

Tbh I already expected it to sound like that. I would cover it with something like tuning mesh or metal mesh used in IEMs to keep its aesthetics.

Or just add some foam inside when you finally decided to open it. I had to block most of my Lrey Grado earbuds open back mesh because of this exact problem.

Honestly I'd like to open it up, but I'm nervous to. I don't want to break anything. If I can fix them without opening them up, I'd probably try that first. I'm a bit skeptical about how well a metal mesh would mimic the effect of micropore tape, though. Did it work well for your Grado's?
I guess if 1 layer was not enough, then I could try 2.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #75,300 of 75,492
You too, awesome comparison!

As for 'hollowness', I can show you the EQ I was experimenting with to get rid of it. This was helping, although it didn't make it sound all that great. I tend to get frustrated with EQ, because I switch my buds between sources, so I didn't spend much time on it. The tape did a much better job.

1714994242441.png

For foams, I started out with Heigi's, which is what I use as a standard, because the stock foams tore when I was putting them on. I switched to FiiO crisp donuts as my first attempt to fix the hollow sound. They helped a little bit.

Honestly I'd like to open it up, but I'm nervous to. I don't want to break anything. If I can fix them without opening them up, I'd probably try that first. I'm a bit skeptical about how well a metal mesh would mimic the effect of micropore tape, though. Did it work well for your Grado's?
I guess if 1 layer was not enough, then I could try 2.
Ohh interesting, so the issue for you is in the mids/lower treble region? For me the treble timbre is a bit off, a bit crunchy at times but not too bad honestly.

I hope you find an easy fix!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back