Feliks Audio ENVY
May 16, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #6,976 of 7,128
Very nice. What type of tube are these based on?

May 17, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #6,977 of 7,128
Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #6,979 of 7,128
Hey all - I recently got the WE300Bs. While they're sounding good, they're not quite as good in the midrange that I had hoped for. They weren't an obvious jump from the Full Musics either. I A/B-ed them recently with the Full Musics again and indeed, they're better, but not by much to my ears.

All of this to say, I'm confused. I know burn-in can really change things, but I'm curious if anyone else has had the same experience. I've also got some new gear the last few weeks as well, the Innuos Zenith (which I've never heard needing burn-in) and the Holo May KTE (which definitely needs burn-in, so this could be part of it...) and the iFi PowerStation (I A/B-ed it against my older AudioQuest 6 outlet and it seems to have improved things sonically across the board, but gotta let the tubes warm up and stuff, so it takes awhile to warm up things each time).

What's interesting is that the Innuos Zenith and May made the Envy jump into "whoa!" territory when I first put started playing stuff through it where I was struggling to enjoy it as much before. It filled out the midrange a bit more which I felt was missing too much for me before, and everything else - texture, bass, layering, details were all so much better than the DAP/Chord Qutest or iFi Pro iDSD Signature chain I had going with it before. Everything finally sounded right and truly flagship to my ears.

Then, I got the WE300Bs, put them in and wasn't hearing what I thought I would. Things have backslid and then progressed, and I think it's the May burning in, as I've read that happens. I'll give the WE300Bs more time to burn-in of course, but it's got me thinking of maybe needing to get some other drivers (Brimar 1988) to get it to where I want it.

Anyways, any helpful thoughts?

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #6,980 of 7,128
Are the WE's new?

May 18, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #6,981 of 7,128
May 18, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #6,982 of 7,128
100% give them plenty of time before writing them off. I know someone else who thought the same and sold them, he's just bought another pair and going to give them the proper run time before coming to a conclusion again.

Once the rest of your system has settled in, maybe time to try some different driver tubes.

I'd just ride it out for now, get some proper hours in the whole system then have a rethink. 👍

Edit: What music do you listen to?

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #6,985 of 7,128
The WE300b was a big jump for me, I realized that i have to change the xlr cables and the power cords to hear the jump
Yes, clean power is fundamental to the entire audio chain. You cannot make up/compensate for lower quality power filtration and cords later in the chain. I remember NAIM Audio talking about this back in the 1980's. Here is a more recent explanation (in English):

May 18, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #6,986 of 7,128
100% give them plenty of time before writing them off. I know someone else who thought the same and sold them, he's just bought another pair and going to give them the proper run time before coming to a conclusion again.

Once the rest of your system has settled in, maybe time to try some different driver tubes.

I'd just ride it out for now, get some proper hours in the whole system then have a rethink. 👍

Edit: What music do you listen to?

My WE 300s very much improved with more hours.

May 18, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #6,987 of 7,128
Ok, thanks everyone. I guess I was expecting them to be like the Takatsuki 2a3s in my WA23 - the effect was immediately obvious with no burn-in and no change to cords, etc.

I will definitely burn them in for much longer though and it's good to know that they are very much improved with more hours!

On the note of power cords and cables - I got sent a headphone cable by a nice guy (Rob Fritz of Audio Art Cables) and I love it. I prefer it over my Meze upgraded cable that I had been using before. I'm in talks with him about getting some new XLR and RCA cables. I think this will definitely help.

When you guys say power cord, you mean the IEC cable going from Envy to the iFi PowerStation (in my case)? This will help improve things? Maybe I should get a better one from Audio Art Cables.

May 18, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #6,988 of 7,128
Ok, thanks everyone. I guess I was expecting them to be like the Takatsuki 2a3s in my WA23 - the effect was immediately obvious with no burn-in and no change to cords, etc.

I will definitely burn them in for much longer though and it's good to know that they are very much improved with more hours!

On the note of power cords and cables - I got sent a headphone cable by a nice guy (Rob Fritz of Audio Art Cables) and I love it. I prefer it over my Meze upgraded cable that I had been using before. I'm in talks with him about getting some new XLR and RCA cables. I think this will definitely help.

When you guys say power cord, you mean the IEC cable going from Envy to the iFi PowerStation (in my case)? This will help improve things? Maybe I should get a better one from Audio Art Cables.
Oh, and I listen to jazz, acoustic guitar based things, pop rock, vocal oriented stuff and house EDM the most, I'd say.

May 18, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #6,989 of 7,128
What's interesting is that the Innuos Zenith and May made the Envy jump into "whoa!" territory when I first put started playing stuff through it where I was struggling to enjoy it as much before. It filled out the midrange a bit more which I felt was missing too much for me before, and everything else - texture, bass, layering, details were all so much better than the DAP/Chord Qutest or iFi Pro iDSD Signature chain I had going with it before. Everything finally sounded right and truly flagship to my ears.
What about the Weiss DAC502?

May 18, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #6,990 of 7,128
What about the Weiss DAC502?
It sounded great, but didn't quite give it the flavor that I was missing. I think it's in the midrange and the realism of the May that puts the Envy there for me. I was listening to a Bennie Maupin Quartet album (Early Reflections) and A/B/C-ing with the Envy, Woo WA23 and the ZMF/LOrdGwyn Aegis and the Envy was ahead (with Innuos/May) as far as textured detail and realism went. It was astonishingly awesome. His baritone sax sounded so lifelike, like you're there. The other two amps are great in their ways, but weren't there in that category.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back