McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 5, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #151 of 487
Eric is the one building the amp. I find it incredible that he has built more than 30 Ultimates in a little over a year - all by himself. A true custom amp builder. You choose your parts, ideas and he will build it. Ultimate is not the only design he creates. He was building speaker amps way before any of you know him.

There were 2 criterias I gave Eric. I told him that the original Mini 6Y6G amp sound good as a headphone amp but it must be as quiet as possible with no music playing on my Grados. :relaxed: Interesting that Ultimate came into being because I bought 3 Grados in 2 months. :relaxed: The other criteria I gave Eric was that the amp must be spotless - no scratches or bonus holes drilled and he did just that. Now every Ultimate that comes off the press are spotless. Some even ask him to measure the distance of the xlr and 1/4 headphones from the centre of the volume knob and he did it without fuss. Some even want the xlr input to be orientated in a certain way. I'm sure if we ask Eric to include 4.4 balanced output, he can do it.

My Super Ultimate sound lovely now. Before I got into Ultimate, if you told me that it will come close to Odyssey, I will tell you that's impossible but now I use Ultimate all the time. Like 90% of the time and Odyssey and Oblivion get's 10% of my time.
Eric is a Brilliant Master Builder of amps. The UltimatE became my favorite amp until the arrival of my SupremE.

May 5, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #152 of 487
But that will soon change when I compare the KT63 with the KT66.

To my ears the difference between my Radiotron 6F6G and GEC KT66 - tonal density, body weight and warmth. KT66 has more of those and generally a better texture in my opinion. KT66 is also a much more powerful power tube than 6F6. We don't need powerful power tubes for headphones but blasting it is not the reason we indulge in those powerful pentodes and beam tetrodes. It's how effortlessly and euphoric they make the amp sound.

This is the reason why KT88, 6550 and EL34 are chosen for Auris Nirvana, AmpandSound Mogwai, Cayin HA-6A and loved by many headphone users.

May 5, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #153 of 487
Eric is a Brilliant Master Builder of amps. The UltimatE became my favorite amp until the arrival of my SupremE.

When I was into Ultrasonic Studio amps, I had horse blinkers on. I knew Eric then but not as well as I know him now. Telemachus was supposed to be my last amp. :relaxed:

In my view, only with the arrival of the Super Ultimate did I see it competing will any of the well known tube amps out there. I have heard Nirvana, Mogwai, Bigger Ben, Odyssey, Oblivion but given a choice now, I will still get the Super Ultimate.

Congrats on the Supreme. It's a lovely sounding 300b, 2a3 and 45 amp. I love all of those direct heated tubes in that amp.

May 5, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #154 of 487
Believe it or not, I was the one who asked Eric to turn the XLR inputs.
I was all about convenience, and it paid off.😁
It's also true he did it without questioning it.
The second thing was easily the aesthetics.
If I like an amplifier, I'll take a look at it.😁
I also think that you shouldn't be blinded by the abbreviation KT63, especially if it's a 6F6.
And it doesn't fit into the KT66 range.
Nevertheless, both Brimar and Gec have a very good sound.
Funnily enough, this tube also comes into its own in the Euforia.
The last 9 months Euforia got zero play time.
But since I bought the KT88 and EL34 at the same time, I used it to record a few and easily rediscovered my old love.
I bought 2 more adapters from Deyan to use 6v6 as driver tube and the Euforia gets a new value with KT88,EL34 and 6v6 as driver tube.
I can almost say with 6080s and 6as7g the Ultimate house wins high, with KT88 and EL34 it looks different if Ultimate drives a combination X both are probably up.
I still need to hear the KT88 more with Ultimate.
With the EL34 from Svetlana wingend C, Ultimate is on another level.
Wide, deep, focussed, full of clarity, my wife likes these tubes and she also likes the sound.
April month was very expensive for me but it was worth it to have a part of the EL34,KT88,6550.

May 5, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #155 of 487
Meanwhile my GEC 807 VT60 and 5b/254m adapters are arriving either today or tomorrow. After years of getting tubes, I'm still excited by the arrival of a new tube. :relaxed: I think if the interest dies, I will be leaving this hobby but it doesn't seem to die. In fact it gets more intense. :relaxed:

May 5, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #156 of 487
I can almost say with 6080s and 6as7g the Ultimate house wins high, with KT88 and EL34 it looks different if Ultimate drives a combination X both are probably up.

Stay that thought there for while. With gEm, Eric has produced an amp that will compete with Ultimate.

6AS7. 6080, 5998 is not the same in gEm as you would be used to in an OTL amp. gEm is OTC like Ultimate. I have to stop my urge from ordering a Super gEm from Eric because the pair of Tung Sol 7236 from Mordy sound incredible.

I crack up when Eric suggested that the Super gEm perhaps be call a Diamond. :beyersmile:

May 5, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #157 of 487
Stay that thought there for while. With gEm, Eric has produced an amp that will compete with Ultimate.

6AS7. 6080, 5998 is not the same in gEm as you would be used to in an OTL amp. gEm is OTC like Ultimate. I have to stop my urge from ordering a Super gEm from Eric because the pair of Tung Sol 7236 from Mordy sound incredible.

I crack up when Eric suggested that the Super gEm perhaps be call a Diamond. :beyersmile:

That makes 2 of us the ones whose fingers are itching for the gem.😁😁😁😁😁😁
I still have a few 6080 and 6as7g left.
And could get a few rare 6as7g Tungsol tubes Nib from my friend who still has some to round off the game.
No seriously I would hate to sell my 6080s and 6as7g, I already have TS7236 and Ibm 5998.
I would sacrifice the Euforia for the Gem.
Or actually want to save up for it.

May 5, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #158 of 487
That makes 2 of us the ones whose fingers are itching for the gem.😁😁😁😁😁😁
I still have a few 6080 and 6as7g left.
And could get a few rare 6as7g Tungsol tubes Nib from my friend who still has some to round off the game.
No seriously I would hate to sell my 6080s and 6as7g, I already have TS7236 and Ibm 5998.
I would sacrifice the Euforia for the Gem.
Or actually want to save up for it.

My GEC 807 VT60 is arriving today !!! I'm dying to find out if ATS25 and VT60 are close cousins or siamese twins.

Meanwhile let's talk 6as7, 6080. I still have pairs of Bendix 6080wb slotted graphite plates with copper rods, Mullard 6080, Tung Sol 7236 (IBM), single Tung Sol 5998. I had sold off my GEC 6as7g and GEC 6080. I still have a pair of GE 6AS7GA.

And... don't forget that 6BX7 and 6BL7 sound as good as 5998 in gEm.

May 5, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #160 of 487
Deciding whether to post here or the Reference EL34 thread and decided to post here. After all, this is Manchester United home ground. I mean McChanson. :relaxed:

Both adapters and tubes have arrived, in good condition. No broken GEC. :relaxed: In fact the the packaging of the GEC 807 VT60 is so impressive, I have to give them top marks.

Both tubes are in original brown boxes for the military and both are sealed in plastic.

IMG_9259.jpg

IMG_9260.jpg

May 5, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #161 of 487
I toss a coin on which to listen first and it landed on the 5B/254M. I make sure it landed there because I am so wanting to listen to these tubes even though they are so much cheaper. This is only into the first 30 minutes so I won't trip myself and get overly excited. However let me give you a hint. Sell your dog, cat or guinea pigs and buy these 5B/254M !!! On the first listen, my eyeballs popped out. :relaxed:

The only problem is ..... Mrs X, why must you make the wire so long? Don't you know the size of these 5B/254M tubes?
IMG_9265.jpg

In Super Ultimate with Russian 6s3p and ITT 5b/254m and Tesla EZ81. Headphone is the evergreen HD800. This is audiophile quality sound and there is not one iota of noise, hiss or hum. Super quietness and it hit the ground running, sounding like $500 tubes tonality. Move aside EL84, there is a new king in the house. These also doesn't sound like the classic 807. Well done, whoever invented 5B/254M. Fortunately I bought 2 pairs. Should last a lifetime.
IMG_9266.jpg

May 5, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #162 of 487
Alright you won't hear from me on the GEC 807 VT60 until a few days later. Maybe a week later. I will have to give these tubes a week's burn in at least. Here's a sneak preview of the VT60 and ATS25 together. @Deleeh I get it when you're excited about the GEC KT63. I am excited about my GEC tubes. British monarchy sound quality. :relaxed:

IMG_9263.jpg

May 6, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #163 of 487
Alright you won't hear from me on the GEC 807 VT60 until a few days later. Maybe a week later. I will have to give these tubes a week's burn in at least. Here's a sneak preview of the VT60 and ATS25 together. @Deleeh I get it when you're excited about the GEC KT63. I am excited about my GEC tubes. British monarchy sound quality. :relaxed:

IMG_9263.jpg
Awesome , can't wait to listen to mine in a few days :o2smile:

May 6, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #164 of 487
Do these look like real Marconi ? Not sure if they are fakes or rebranded ?
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 12.02.35 PM.png

May 6, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #165 of 487
Awesome , can't wait to listen to mine in a few days :o2smile:

I'm listening to mine now. Can't wait. :relaxed: There's something about using brand new tubes. I feel kind of guilty breaking the new seal but then I got all my GEC KT88, KT66 A2900, 807 new and it's got to be consumed.

IMG_9267.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back