Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 17, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #13,006 of 13,029
May 18, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #13,007 of 13,029
I need to start looking before sitting on chairs. Gutted.meze empyrean headband.jpg
Start looking. Or just do not leave HP on a place where you can sit on accidentally.
Contact you seller or directly Meze support, they will send you a band. Changing it looks like just a few screws.

May 18, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #13,008 of 13,029
Good day everyone!

I just got these OG Empys. Jet Black version, quite nice. Ive seen many off the hand comments that they are easy to drive and very much not amp-dependent.
I must say that its true. I listened these since from Topping DX3 pro+, Violectric V200 and Hifiman EF6 and there is very minuscule or no difference at all between these amps to my ears (except the amout of bass between least and most bassy ones)

Pad question: I browsed the thread a bit and saw quite a bit of buzz of angled alcantara pads.
Are there audible differences for the better between the stock alcantara and angled alcantara pads?
Also, does Meze not manufacture non-angled ones any more? They are not listed on the site.

Cable: Wow, this black stock cable is terrible. Ordered new one right away. What do you think did I make a mistake on the choice?
Näyttökuva 2024-05-18 165232.png

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #13,009 of 13,029
Get the angled pads and a Cayin N3 Ultra Dap. Set it in classic tube mode and then play some PGGB 768KHz 24 bit files. It takes the Meze to another level.

May 18, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #13,010 of 13,029
Good day everyone!

I just got these OG Empys. Jet Black version, quite nice. Ive seen many off the hand comments that they are easy to drive and very much not amp-dependent.
I must say that its true. I listened these since from Topping DX3 pro+, Violectric V200 and Hifiman EF6 and there is very minuscule or no difference at all between these amps to my ears (except the amout of bass between least and most bassy ones)

Pad question: I browsed the thread a bit and saw quite a bit of buzz of angled alcantara pads.
Are there audible differences for the better between the stock alcantara and angled alcantara pads?
Also, does Meze not manufacture non-angled ones any more? They are not listed on the site.

Cable: Wow, this black stock cable is terrible. Ordered new one right away. What do you think did I make a mistake on the choice?
Näyttökuva 2024-05-18 165232.png
Yeah, I definitely think the angled alcantara pads are worth the upgrade for Empyrean.

The stock alcantara do a decent job at giving the Empryean a more relaxed, open sort of sound, but at times can feel a bit limp and lifeless compared to the stock leather. The angled pads bring the drivers closer to your ears, which returns some of the punch you get with the leather pads, but without the fatigue that you can get with them during a longer session.

I still enjoy both sets of stock pads, but the angled alcantara are a “goldilocks” best of both kind of thing.

May 19, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #13,011 of 13,029
I have now been auditing the recently received Empys. :L3000:

One thing I have noticing is that especially on metal genre (which i usually listen) the bass dynamic is quite muddy and lacks on the punch like the Lirics do have. So far I've been listening with 6.3 mm copper upgrade cable and leather pads. And the iCan Pros bass adjustment knob surprisingly only increases the muddiness. :pig2:🫣

Is it possible to gain more of the bass punch and dynamics in some way? The Meze silver plated balanced xlr cables are coming. Will they fix this "problem"? Or should I direct my gaze right away to the Elites? 🤔

May 19, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #13,012 of 13,029
I have now been auditing the recently received Empys. :L3000:

One thing I have noticing is that especially on metal genre (which i usually listen) the bass dynamic is quite muddy and lacks on the punch like the Lirics do have. So far I've been listening with 6.3 mm copper upgrade cable and leather pads. And the iCan Pros bass adjustment knob surprisingly only increases the muddiness. :pig2:🫣

Is it possible to gain more of the bass punch and dynamics in some way? The Meze silver plated balanced xlr cables are coming. Will they fix this "problem"? Or should I direct my gaze right away to the Elites? 🤔
If you're talking about Empyrean II, then unfortunately they have rather soft bass impact.

The Hybrid Pads from the Elite can help slightly but if it's impact you crave, better switch to the Elite directly.

May 19, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #13,014 of 13,029
If you're talking about Empyrean II, then unfortunately they have rather soft bass impact.

The Hybrid Pads from the Elite can help slightly but if it's impact you crave, better switch to the Elite directly.

May 19, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #13,015 of 13,029
Thank's for the reply! 👍

So do the Elites have that required bass drum punch?

May 19, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #13,016 of 13,029
Thank's for the reply! 👍

I’m a drummer and like to listen songs with great songs with special drum play and excellent drummers, like this:

Especially the punchy double bass drum hits my heart. And that’s why I’m looking for the dynamics.

IMG_0023.png

Btw. That’s not me in the picture. 😆
My fellow drummer friend just posted me this video today, and it was instant crush. Beautifully played. 🥰

May 19, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #13,017 of 13,029
I am a huge metal fan, live for the double bass. I have never heard an open back set which has really punchy bass. I would recommend auditioning the Z1Rs.

May 20, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #13,018 of 13,029
Start looking. Or just do not leave HP on a place where you can sit on accidentally.
Contact you seller or directly Meze support, they will send you a band. Changing it looks like just a few screws.
149USD for a replacement carbon fibre headband. €171 in total delivered to the UK 😲 Must use my Headphone stand at all times from now on!

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #13,019 of 13,029
I am a huge metal fan, live for the double bass. I have never heard an open back set which has really punchy bass. I would recommend auditioning the Z1Rs.
I have hunted to the Z1Rs quite a long time, but they are hard to get here in the very far away from civilization. 🙄

May 20, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #13,020 of 13,029
Thank's for the reply! 👍

Imo, the Elite has the best impact/ kick I've heard to date from an open back headphone.
It feels like it hits "behind your neck/ throat".

After my brief listening comparison between Elite and Caldera, I'd like to get a Caldera combined with the impact of the Elite . :ok_hand:

Was tested with Chord Mojo 2, Audio-GD R28 and the two combined.
It was a pleasure to have these 2 beau's with me for a couple days. :)

Music ranges from Amaranthe over Kamelot to UtA, mostly symphonic und power metal, but also a bit of Foy Vance, Agnes Obel to ZEDD. :ksc75smile:

In the end, it's up to audition yourself and decide. As usual. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back