Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 17, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #6,646 of 6,783
Look at the Lehmann Audio Linear, amplifiers that match very well with Sennheiser and beyond.👋
IMO, pretty "bare bones" and pretty expensive. I have looked at them over the years.
Thanks for the suggestion.

May 17, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #6,647 of 6,783
IMO, pretty "bare bones" and pretty expensive. I have looked at them over the years.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Thomann sells the Linear new model for 859 Euros. The old version, the Lehmann Linear Black Cube, costs even less and is electrically identical to the new model (they are still found as the last pieces). Don't be put off by the simplicity of this amplifier.

May 17, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #6,648 of 6,783
Thomann sells the Linear new model for 859 Euros. The old version, the Lehmann Linear Black Cube, costs even less and is electrically identical to the new model (they are still found as the last pieces). Don't be put off by the simplicity of this amplifier.
When I look at them in Canada, I get a selection that all looks similar with prices fluctuating wildly:

https://vinylsound.ca/collections/lehmann-audio

Can you clarify the differences?

May 17, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #6,649 of 6,783
May 17, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #6,650 of 6,783
May 17, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #6,651 of 6,783
So, the basic model here in Canada is $1,200.00, plus tax. So about $1,400.00, landed. Power is rated at 400mW @60 Ohms and 200mW at 300 Ohms.

I know many companies inflate their specs, but this amp seems pretty sparse for that kind of money?
Does it really sound that great?

May 17, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #6,652 of 6,783
Indeed $1,199.00 is a big gap. Do you have any other stores in Canada that sell Lehmann?
Not really. 859 Euros is $1,275.00 in Canadian dollars.

May 17, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #6,653 of 6,783
Well guys I'm going to say it and I'm going to mean it. The 660s2 are simply one of the best cans I've ever heard.

I think they're just about perfect in their tonal presentation, the dynamics are fantastic, the frequency response is excellent and these have some of the best imaging I've ever heard. I got my pair for $300 and I'm not going to say anything short of it being the biggest headphone steal I've ever had.

I don't even really know where to begin separating things. The level of detail manages to rival the Arya I recently sold and from what I can remember of the HD800s, it's sitting right up there too. I love my 1990s as a keyboard headphone but for listening to music it's way too hot. Sure it has tons of detail as well, but it's metallic in nature and burns your eardrums out of your head in comparison. I would say the S2 is just on the cusp of being hot at times. Even with the sharpest female vocals or synth screams it's just teetering under the feeling that it's hot to my ears.

While the bass isn't on level with some nice planars, it's IMO perfectly balanced with the rest of the tone and not in any way or shape lacking. Along with the lower mids you get detailed, textured and a thick tone. Guitar strings pluck and feel full, bass strings slap and flap around. You get a full bodied resonance from violas and such.

The mids are really interesting because your lower mids are thick and full while upper mids blend into full detail. What results is a really detailed mid section with warm tasty leads going over thicker more ambient tones without blending together and becoming a mushy mess.

The timbre itself is something to note here. I'm constantly admiring the feel of different instruments and how unique each one is.

Dynamics on this thing are a joy. I've fallen in love with drums on this pair due to how snappy and tight they are. Distorted guitars sound incredible and powerful, synth can rip leads before melting into a tasty pad.

Alright enough let's talk about the imaging and I'll say this because I haven't heard enough headphones to say otherwise. The S2 rival the Arya V2 for imaging which imo is one of the best out there at what it does. While the soundstage is not large, it's not nearly as claustrophobic feeling as the 660s1. You sit in the middle of several instruments. The vocals are so beautifully in your face almost as if someone is in front of you serenading you. With the Lyr+/Bifrost 2/64 combo you get a really nice holographic taste which is lost in the s1. The S2 however are back in full force. Drums are laid out all over the canvas, each tom and cymbal having its own dedicated space. Imaging width, depth and even height are all present for me here. As said it's a smaller soundstage so it's not super exaggerated but it's all there, and by no means do I think I wish I had a larger stage. Panning instruments are easy to follow across the entire plane. I'm frequently enjoying cymbals crashing up above while a tasty bass lick flaps around me lower to the floor.

All of these things combined create such an enjoyable headphone experience. You combine that with their lightweight and easily adjustable clamp force. They're just it.

Of course it's a love at first sight for me. I'd like to do some comparisons to the 660s but honestly I have nothing good to say about them. They have a tight, claustrophobic presentation with weak imaging and a soft boring presentation in comparison. I don't hate the 660s I never did quite love them though. The S2 aren't just better, they're beating just about everything I've heard up until the Arya and HD800s. And those two headphones have some pretty major flaws that the S2 just doesn't have. The Arya are thinner sounding and have some really harsh sibilance going on along with some big comfort issues. The HD 800s is too thin in the bass and that makes them somewhat boring if you want some excitement.

Obviously this is based off my preferences but I'm just having a hard time not saying they're just about perfect. They don't need anything, they don't leave me wanting anything they're just fantastic.
I fully agree with your impressions, I wasn't able to express them as well as you.

May 17, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #6,655 of 6,783
Wow, that is rude. Nothing leaks more sound than a Sennheiser.

But it"s all about you right.
Not to mention, off-topic. This is the 660S2 thread, after all! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::deadhorse::beerchug:

May 17, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #6,656 of 6,783
Wow, that is rude. Nothing leaks more sound than a Sennheiser.

But it"s all about you right.

Wearing open back headphones on a crowded plane is really inconsiderate. I would’ve been really annoyed, especially if I didn’t have closed back, noise cancelling headphones. Which I have partially because others are so, well…

...and stupid.

What next? A BT speaker dangling from the seat in front ☹️

Not really. Rude, inconsiderate behavior in public has only gotten worse since the pandemic. And some folks in the US seem to take cultural pride in being jerks or just not caring/thinking about others.

Oh I'm Canadian and being inconsiderate to fellow passengers was not my goal LoL

I was watching sitcoms like Fraser on low volume and always double checked if it leaked.

I even told the two people beside me if I fell asleep I can hear them and basically elbow my ribs to wake me up and that wouldn't bother me one bit as I would be happy I can be of some use

The plane noise is loud so at low volume you cannot hear anything which surprised me and I put the headphone right up against my ear

And yes it would be rather cruel to crank open ears in public spaces.

:)

May 18, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #6,657 of 6,783
So, the basic model here in Canada is $1,200.00, plus tax. So about $1,400.00, landed. Power is rated at 400mW @60 Ohms and 200mW at 300 Ohms.

I know many companies inflate their specs, but this amp seems pretty sparse for that kind of money?
Does it really sound that great?
Sorry, I didn't calculate the Canadian dollar. The Lehmann Linear drives the HD650s very well with the pre-gain selector at 10dB or 18dB. I also have the V200, I have done all the audio checks, so I can reassure you that the Linear will open the HD660S2 very well. The Linear and V200 have external pre-gain adjustment, where you'll map them so that turning the pot/volume gives you a good perceived volume between 11 o'clock and 2 o'clock.The HD660S2 will be perfectly balanced at 10dB of pre-gain.✨

May 18, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #6,658 of 6,783
Oh I'm Canadian and being inconsiderate to fellow passengers was not my goal LoL
I just wonder if all the passengers are silent. They don't chat with each other while travelling, is that considered rude, too?
I wouldn't mind you listening to music, good music, if you sit next to me,
but I would mind listening to you talk about politics, health and all other bs.

Cheers! :wink:

May 18, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #6,659 of 6,783
I just wonder if all the passengers are silent. They don't chat with each other while travelling, is that considered rude, too?
I wouldn't mind you listening to music, good music, if you sit next to me,
but I would mind listening to you talk about politics, health and all other bs.

Cheers! :wink:

So I have seen people use open back but very rarely in public. For example on the subway.

So for audio books or mostly dialogue based it's not a problem.

And yes since people do talk on the plane and airline staff etc, plus plane engine noise, they all will overpower any leakage of such low volume.

Because I was sat in the aisle seats (99% of the time I get window) I would be able to hear anyone speak to me as well

Also 300 ohm plugged into airplane entertainment system doesn't make for much volume.

So I think in certain context it can be ok to wear an open back. You can hear cars better while listening to audio book.

May 18, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #6,660 of 6,783
Sorry, I didn't calculate the Canadian dollar. The Lehmann Linear drives the HD650s very well with the pre-gain selector at 10dB or 18dB. I also have the V200, I have done all the audio checks, so I can reassure you that the Linear will open the HD660S2 very well. The Linear and V200 have external pre-gain adjustment, where you'll map them so that turning the pot/volume gives you a good perceived volume between 11 o'clock and 2 o'clock.The HD660S2 will be perfectly balanced at 10dB of pre-gain.✨
Thank you. I do have a Violectric V220. Definitely food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back