The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 17, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #89,506 of 90,438
The normal SUPERIOR has a qdc-like sound with clean highs (some songs sting), whereas the EX has more mid and low frequency resonance than the normal, with rounded highs. Japanese fans say" it sounds like the MH335DW" and I agree.
With the stock tips I can see that comparison. I think the Superior EX does sound a bit cleaner overall but less technical. But then again the DD handles the bass very differently than the BA config of the 335DW.

Interestingly the completely unrelated MH335DW EX also just released!

May 17, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #89,507 of 90,438
With the stock tips I can see that comparison. I think the Superior EX does sound a bit cleaner overall but less technical. But then again the DD handles the bass very differently than the BA config of the 335DW.

Interestingly the completely unrelated MH335DW EX also just released!

Yes!! I have a 335 and am considering upgrading.

May 18, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #89,509 of 90,438
My OCD relationship with technology has reached a new level - the fingerprint magnet nature and how easily stainless steel can scratch has led me to keeping a cotton glove in the ddHifi case for taking the R8 II out and storing away, making sure to use one of the many cloths I keep to hand to always give DAPs and IEMs a quick polish before storage… and often randomly when in use - I like to treat my precious toys with the utmost care 😂 Oh and especially given that the case for the Hiby is awful.

When in use it is always either on a cloth or another material surface such as table cloth.

Anyone else have OCD behaviour associated with the hobby that they’d like to share?!

IMG_4015.jpeg

IMG_4018.jpeg

May 18, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #89,510 of 90,438
My OCD relationship with technology has reached a new level - the fingerprint magnet nature and how easily stainless steel can scratch has led me to keeping a cotton glove in the ddHifi case for taking the R8 II out and storing away, making sure to use one of the many cloths I keep to hand to always give DAPs and IEMs a quick polish before storage… and often randomly when in use - I like to treat my precious toys with the utmost care 😂 Oh and especially given that the case for the Hiby is awful.

When in use it is always either on a cloth or another material surface such as table cloth.

Anyone else have OCD behaviour associated with the hobby that they’d like to share?!

I hear you, which is why I'd never use my R8 II without the case 😅

Thankfully I discovered that with a little bit of pressure, both Pentaconn OEM, Beat Audio and PWA 4.4mm plugs actually DO fit without issue. Tight, but they fit.

That removes any restriction for me for using the case, so until a better one comes along, this will do. Also, the Alcantara has held up beautifully, and makes the case a pleasure to hold, feels luxurious.

As for general OCD, you have no idea... I generally won't use an external amp from a different brand to the DAP, and don't get me started with cable aesthetics and colour matching. Every piece has to fit perfectly, or its out, SQ be damned. 🫣🤭

May 18, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #89,511 of 90,438

If color coordination with my clothing style and the fact that as a result I ended up deciding that I would like to see if I can swap my red R8 ii for a silver R8 ii applies, then yes I fully accept that the OCD diagnosis would also apply to me:)

Attachments

• IMG_0800.jpeg
    IMG_0800.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #89,512 of 90,438
I hear you, which is why I'd never use my R8 II without the case 😅

Thankfully I discovered that with a little bit of pressure, both Pentaconn OEM, Beat Audio and PWA 4.4mm plugs actually DO fit without issue. Tight, but they fit.

That removes any restriction for me for using the case, so until a better one comes along, this will do. Also, the Alcantara has held up beautifully, and makes the case a pleasure to hold, feels luxurious.

As for general OCD, you have no idea... I generally won't use an external amp from a different brand to the DAP, and don't get me started with cable aesthetics and colour matching. Every piece has to fit perfectly, or its out, SQ be damned. 🫣🤭

I must give the case another try so over the weekend - I’ve no doubt my system will keep it safe 😂 but I’d rather have it in the case… even if that also hides away a lot of the beauty. With other DAPs such as the 1A/1AM2 I do intentionally take out of their cases from time to time to just admire the design and feel etc.

May 18, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #89,513 of 90,438
It's the story of humanity summed up in one sentence. Going in circles by design, and being surprised at every go.

drftr
There are times when I stop getting surprised. They are the worst.

May 18, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #89,515 of 90,438
You've become a zombie! 😲

giphy.gif

drftr
I ingest too much at once from time to time, it is numbing the senses. Addiction or personality trait, I don't know the answer. But would I like to know and ruin the suprise? :p

May 18, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #89,516 of 90,438
It's the story of humanity summed up in one sentence. Going in circles by design, and being surprised at every go.

drftr

Now, this reminded me somehow of the (imo fantastic) movie ''Barfly'', ft. a (still young) Mickey Rourke playing the writer Charles Bukowski
Barfly.gif

That movie also starts and ends with the same kind of scene => going full circle ⭕

But hey, you probably already have seen that one, based on the fact that you wrote sometimes that you like the old 'Tom Waits' albums. As he often sings about that sort of human characters (living in the gutter) that are in that movie. Btw, alhough I also like his 'slightly crazy stuff' albums like Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs. Closing Time, The Heart of Saturday Night and Blue Valentine have always been my own three favorite TW albums.

@WDitters while I'm typing this I was also listening to that same Beth Gibbons (noticed the pic in your post) album. I must say that I'm pleasantly surpised how that one has turned (even better than I thought that it would be beforehand) out => like it a lot! :)

Happy listening to ya'all, enjoy the weekend and good luck (when applicable) with that OCD :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #89,518 of 90,438

IMG_4015.jpeg

IMG_4018.jpeg
There is a Rhapsodio Supreme V3 coming my way, not sure yet how if mentality im able to cope with it 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back