ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 17, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #571 of 1,006
My EL51 met a less productive fate. The trashbin. :frowning2:

Footnote #2, the EL51 was for my Lampizator DAC, not the Aegis. I asked Keenan about compatability with the Aegis, but it was not determined one way or the other.

I found some triode curves for the EL51, look like it will work, adapter needed of course.

May 17, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #572 of 1,006
Anyone watch Ted Lasso on Apple TV?!?

Listening to the Aegis I think is turning me into Roy Kent….. every song is followed by (queue the accent)……. F* *k 😂😂😂

This amp just sounds so good it’s downright vulgar😂

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #573 of 1,006
I found some triode curves for the EL51, look like it will work, adapter needed of course.
Nice! If anyone is interested in trying the EL51 in the Aegis, I can say they can be difficult to source.
Tesla was the maker of my pairs. In the Lampizator TRP, the EL51s were extremely midrange focused with a wide stage , making them good choices for acoustic and classical, not so much for rock or edm.
Of course they may sound different than that in the Aegis.

Oh, they are quite tall tubes.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #574 of 1,006
Anyone watch Ted Lasso on Apple TV?!?

Listening to the Aegis I think is turning me into Roy Kent….. every song is followed by (queue the accent)……. F* *k 😂😂😂

This amp just sounds so good it’s downright vulgar😂

Yeah, Brett Goldstein is great as Roy Kent. I like his film podcast as well.

May 17, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #575 of 1,006
Updated my reserved post on the first page of the thread with some additional specs and a link to the tube compatibility spreadsheet. Let me know if you see any that have been confirmed / denied and haven't been included, I'll update accordingly. I've omitted some low power tubes (e.g., EL33) until I've tested them with different rectifiers. I have a pair of these on the way.
Thanks for this Keenan! :beerchug:

May 17, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #576 of 1,006
Anyone get a shipping notice? I'm trying to hard not to start buying tubes yet after reading all the cool tubes everyone is getting. I wanted to let my wallet recover a bit before I do so, but who am I kidding, i'll be snapping up tubes in no time. thankfully my Stratus shares a common rectifier, so i just need power and input tubes. every time my phone screen comes on with an alert i excitedly check if it's the shipping email hahaha. i'm horrible at waiting. thankfully i've learned on the shipping part just pay for expedited service.
I haven’t received any notice from ZMF yet, however I have received a shipping notice from DHL Express. Something is coming from China. Since I have not ordered anything else, it must be the Aegis directly from Cayin? Will see on Tuesday.

May 17, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #577 of 1,006
I haven’t received any notice from ZMF yet, however I have received a shipping notice from DHL Express. Something is coming from China. Since I have not ordered anything else, it must be the Aegis directly from Cayin? Will see on Tuesday.
Exactly the same in my case.

May 17, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #578 of 1,006
Well, I guess I have subconsciously decided to buy an Aegis because I just bought a matched pair of RCA red base 5691s. Now that I'm hunting tubes, the amp purchase is inevitable!

May 17, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #579 of 1,006
Well, I guess I have subconsciously decided to buy an Aegis because I just bought a matched pair of RCA red base 5691s. Now that I'm hunting tubes, the amp purchase is inevitable!
I really do enjoy the RCA 5691s. Haven't felt the need to roll different preamp tubes since i got em.

You used to own a Quicksilver right? I did too. And built the DIY Aegis after. Its a huge jump. Sold my Quicksilver right after that.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #580 of 1,006

At this point, the RCAs 5691's are my preferred. I've switched to them in both my DIY Aegis and the ZMF Aegis.

May 17, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #581 of 1,006
At this point, the RCAs 5691's are my preferred. I've switched to them in both my DIY Aegis and the ZMF Aegis.

Mine too, they just might be the best!

May 17, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #582 of 1,006
I almost bought that exact pair the other day. Good score!

May 17, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #583 of 1,006
Guess I got to get a pair of those 5691. . .:thinking:

Although, I do have some Foton 1579 60' already on the way. :grin:

May 17, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #585 of 1,006
Guess I got to get a pair of those 5691. . .:thinking:

Although, I do have some Foton 1579 60' already on the way. :grin:

I'm just glad I bought a few pairs before this thread got cooking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back