$100 IEM's
May 16, 2014 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Wydz

Head-Fier
I used the Klipsch S4I's for about 2 years before I sat on them in my car by accident and my knife smashed one of the buds, so I'm looking to buy another pair of in-ears

Currently looking at:

S4I's
Shure SE215
Ostry KC06

Any others I should review too or is that a good 3 to start from?

May 16, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 16
Hifiman RE-400 - I am so amazed with them that I'm just speechless. I've got 'phones worth 4+ times of their price that are just barely about on par with the RE-400's for 99$. Amazing detail retrieval, neutrality, treble, fast polite bass. Any music with natural instruments is a revelation on them. Though have to say that I have modified version with balanced cord - theoretically it has bigger and more 3d soundstage then "normal" version. Also - if you love electronic music - maybe the bass will be too polite for you. But still, IMHO, for 100$  Re-400 are the best thing that happened to the IEM market in years. Will blow away anything in that price range with ease.  

May 17, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 16
  Hifiman RE-400 - I am so amazed with them that I'm just speechless. I've got 'phones worth 4+ times of their price that are just barely about on par with the RE-400's for 99$. Amazing detail retrieval, neutrality, treble, fast polite bass. Any music with natural instruments is a revelation on them. Though have to say that I have modified version with balanced cord - theoretically it has bigger and more 3d soundstage then "normal" version. Also - if you love electronic music - maybe the bass will be too polite for you. But still, IMHO, for 100$  Re-400 are the best thing that happened to the IEM market in years. Will blow away anything in that price range with ease.  

I listen to just about every type of music and the Klipsch worked wonders for me for $50, is the upgrade to $100 for the RE400 worth it?

I'll add them to my list of ones to look up.

I recently picked up the Vsonic VSD1S on Amazon for $50. Sound amazing for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ISL3PPU?pc_redir=1399986499&robot_redir=1

How will these compare to the S4I's?

I Know the Klipsch aren't a good reference point, but they are the only earbuds I've used other than the ones Apple gives you.

May 17, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 16
If you like the S4, the RE400 might not be your cup of tea. I'd look at the Shure SE215 and perhaps the Audio Technical CKS range as an upgrade to the Klipsch, or perhaps a pair of TF10s.

I agree with this 100%. I had the S4's way back when and tried the RE-400's recently and did not care for them at all. Way too thin sounding...

As for the VSD1S, they are less boomy than the S4's, more detail, better high end. VSonic claims the VSD1S give you 80% of the GR07 sound at 1/3 the price. I think that is a fair statement...

May 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 16
Basically I'm As picky as they come

This is pretty much what I'm looking for

Balanced sound with some bass
Able to be worn in the down position, i dont like over ear.
$60-$120
Good isolation

What would fit under this category?

These are the ones on my list:

Ostry KC06
HiFi RE-400
Etymotic MC5
Etymotic HF5

May 18, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 16
Mediadevil artisanphonics.

I have the VSD1's and they're nice, but for me the above phone knocks spots of them.

Good bass nice and punchy, slightly veiled mids but come through with burn in and sparkly highs.

I love em.

May 19, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 16
There's an interesting guide based on sound signatures if you google "earphones sound signature" or something like that. There's some pretty solid recommendations which you probably might want to check out :) The sound signature of your Klipsch should sit somewhere around V-shaped or bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back