1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Oct 9, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #6,951 of 9,124
Ah cool .. I'll check it out when I have time ... thanks for the suggestion

King Power is a nice shop. They have many brands to try EarWorkz from Germany, Dunu, Meze, and many more.

I use the 100 ohm adapter for airplane audio buffering. It has a right angle 3.5mm plug.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #6,952 of 9,124
Here are the prices folks:

U18 - $3000
Tia Fourte - $3500

Pass and pass. Manufacturers wouldn't charge these astronomical amounts if consumers didn't support them through purchases at these prices.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #6,953 of 9,124
Pass and pass. Manufacturers wouldn't charge these astronomical amounts if consumers didn't support them through purchases at these prices.

The problem, as mentioned earlier, is that many of their customers are Grammy winners with budgets for weekend barbecues that surpass many people's annual income. So they will remain close to the price for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately for many of us.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #6,955 of 9,124
Is "Grammy winners actually a viable market". It's cool if you get some big names for promotion, but competition in this space is fierce! Wouldn't it be better to sell 1000x$1k vs 20x$3k?

It would be better to sell more if they only had one thing they sold. They have many other options so they will sell plenty anyway. Bands/artists also tend to buy the same brand for everyone so that it makes monitor mixes easier to do. So I can see an artist buying 10-15 sets for them and the band. 20 artists do that and here's 200-300 sets right there. I'm not sure that's how things work, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #6,956 of 9,124
It would be better to sell more if they only had one thing they sold. They have many other options so they will sell plenty anyway. Bands/artists also tend to buy the same brand for everyone so that it makes monitor mixes easier to do. So I can see an artist buying 10-15 sets for them and the band. 20 artists do that and here's 200-300 sets right there. I'm not sure that's how things work, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

If you watch the spotlight with mixing engineer "Michael Brauer" you will notice that he mentions they do not use the U12 for mixing, they still use their very expensive studio monitors. They only mention usage of iems for making sure the mix is dead centre.

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #6,957 of 9,124
  Is "Grammy winners actually a viable market". It's cool if you get some big names for promotion, but competition in this space is fierce! Wouldn't it be better to sell 1000x$1k vs 20x$3k?

This... Spot on. 

Do you guys think a "game changing" 4-way BA at 500-600 USD or even 900 USD would make them more money? The answer is: of course it would.

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #6,958 of 9,124
Can't say that I'm surprised that the price for the U18 is over $3k. The costs of this hobby have risen astronomically over the last few years. $1k could get you a top-of-the-line monitor several years back. Now, that price bracket sees most of the midrange models. The U/A18 has to do something amazingly well to command this luxury dollar tag.

Still, it's something worth trying, and I can't say that I'm not eager at all to audition them. I almost went for the A12 myself, so the U/A18 is an intriguing prospect.

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #6,959 of 9,124
If you watch the spotlight with mixing engineer "Michael Brauer" you will notice that he mentions they do not use the U12 for mixing, they still use their very expensive studio monitors. They only mention usage of iems for making sure the mix is dead centre.

Yeah I'm talking about live/concert sound. The fact that they even get touched in the high end studio market is pretty crazy. Those guys buy mics that cost as much or more than a new car. And I've never heard any high end mixer even consider mixing on any kind of cans/in-ears. Maybe check a mix. But never to actually mix on.

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #6,960 of 9,124

I dunno why tia costs so much. It seems like a copy of the technique by Ken ball for the andromeda...using the resonator box instead of tubes directly firing to your ear.

It appears from 64 ears website you maybe correct but let us wait and see if the TIA is more than the Andromeda.
http://www.64audio.com/tia

It was already mentioned that TIA Fourte will have $4k MSRP, and some mentioned $3.5k price which could be a street price?

Either way, I really hope someone from 64audio can chime in to clarify this since the price of U18 and TIA Fourte has been a subject of the recent discussions, even more than a technology behind it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back