2006 Micro DAC sync problem
Mar 6, 2008 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the previous 2006 9V version Micro Stack on loan from another local Head-Fier but I've been having some problems with the DAC syncing to my computer via USB using ASIO. Everything seems to work fine initially but after awhile it starts to tick loudly, kind of like a hiccup if you will. The music can still be heard underneath and power down both the computer and the DAC doesn't seem to work all the time either. It should be noted that when this is happening a ticking can still be heard at idle as well (when hooked to the comp).

I mentioned it to the owner who also noted he has had issues with a ticking when trying to get it to work with one of his transports, a DVD player, but other transports he uses he's had no issue with.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 10
Check your batteries. When they go down you can get some unusual noises & the DAC doesn't just quit working all of a sudden. It'll keep working but just sound really really bad for a while.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 10
Last time it happened I had just charged the batteries so I don't think that's it.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm sending a link to this thread to Mike, maaybe he's seen it before.

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this happen with multiple computers or just one?

I've only had the opportunity to use it on my home computer, Matthew uses it on his Mac's but with optical not USB.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sending a link to this thread to Mike, maaybe he's seen it before.

Thanks Tyll!
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Great, now my SN is exposed to the world, thanks Tyll.
tongue.gif

Try this using AC power and NO batteries. If it works on AC power, then the problem is probably battery related. Either one battery is not fully charged, or it may be they are not making good contact with the clips inside the amp. If the battery clips are bent and not making good contact, then you will need to send the amp/DAC in for repair.

Otherwise it almost sounds like some kind of interference, maybe with the USB cable. A better shielded USB cable might help. If all else fails and you can't figure it out, please send it in and I would be glad to check it out for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Drop me an email if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Mike Olson
Technical Services Manager
mikeo@headphone.com
HeadRoom Corporation
2020 Gilkerson Dr.
Bozeman, MT* 59715
1-800-828-8184
406-587-9466 ext. 104

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks Mike, I'll try those things.

A little more information, I tried the Micro Stack briefly at work this morning in OSX on an iMac without issue.

I doubt it's a cable issue at home because I use the same cable for my Pico without any issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back