2359glenn | studio
Oct 26, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #12,166 of 39,994
Recently purchased the SERP (used), for the 2nd time, got to be honest I kinda like the way it sounds, strong bass.
Got to wait a bit to get the Tak before I can do my 300B shoot out, well... after getting the amp from Glenn of course.

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #12,167 of 39,994
I present a Raytheon 5694. 

The Raytheon 5694 is very similar to the ECC32 and was considered to be interchangeable with the ECC32 in most applications. In the same way that the ECC32 is a modified ECC31, common cathode to separate cathodes, the 5694 is a modified 6N7G. I came across some chatter on the net where one poster felt it was better than the ECC32, so I decided to give one a try. Unfortunately, back in the day, the 5694, with its non-standard pin-out, was never a very popular tube and not all that many were made. This makes them rather tough to find, but fortunately, when they do pop up, they are not expensive. After searching high and low I was able to find only this one tube.

As I don't have an ECC32, I compared it to an ECC31, and consider the 5694 to be just as good, but as one would expect, with a slightly different tonal balance. The major difference is the Mullard is a bit warmer, with a seductively sweet and smooth midrange and a slightly recessed presentation, the classic Mullard sound. Whereas, the Raytheon has less warmth, with a crystal clear midrange and a slightly forward presention, the classic Raytheon sound. Both have a deep extended bass with good body, detail and slam.

At this point in time, I cannot say that I prefer one over the other and I am thrilled to have both. :)

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #12,168 of 39,994
^ Very nice, Ken ^

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #12,170 of 39,994
I have been enjoying a couple of bottles on my saturday night listening sessions

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #12,171 of 39,994
Oh yeah a great dark beer what could be better, well maybe a glass of whisky to go with it..

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #12,172 of 39,994
  Oh yeah a great dark beer what could be better, well maybe a glass of whisky to go with it..

beerchug.gif

I grabbed a 4pk for the weekend. Mind have to jump on the whiskey idea too. Perfect pairing to go with the OTL, T1s and some excellent music.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #12,173 of 39,994
parbaked and I celebrated life this afternoon with smoked duck and a beverage. To Stavros, Lieven, Glenn, and the rest of our Head-Fi friends, we toast you all to a fun life full of surprises and warmth, and a mimosa or two!

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #12,175 of 39,994
  parbaked and I celebrated life this afternoon with smoked duck and a beverage. To Stavros, Lieven, Glenn, and the rest of our Head-Fi friends, we toast you all to a fun life full of surprises and warmth, and a mimosa or two!

smile.gif

See you in 2 weeks!

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #12,176 of 39,994
I recently acquired Glenn's OTL that DubstepGirl reviewed a while back.

Gotta say that the most noticeable strength of this amp with the HD650s is its ability to sound exciting, involving and engaging when you focus and listen analytically, but it's also able to make the music just flow and take a backseat to a task that involves a lot of concentration (like studying or reading).  Those features sound like polar opposites, which is why this amp is so freakishly good.

And the bass... it's certainly the best I've ever heard on the 650s.

P.S. Morning freshly brewed coffee and Glenn OTL are a sublime pairing as well!

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #12,178 of 39,994
  I recently acquired Glenn's OTL that DubstepGirl reviewed a while back.

Gotta say that the most noticeable strength of this amp with the HD650s is its ability to sound exciting, involving and engaging when you focus and listen analytically, but it's also able to make the music just flow and take a backseat to a task that involves a lot of concentration (like studying or reading).  Those features sound like polar opposites, which is why this amp is so freakishly good.

And the bass... it's certainly the best I've ever heard on the 650s.

P.S. Morning freshly brewed coffee and Glenn OTL are a sublime pairing as well!

Congrats on getting that, kept  you from waiting in line also.

I could not agree more.....Glenns amp makes the HD650 sound better than I have ever heard it....it makes the music flow so effortlessly and it is so transparent to tube rolling.

Enjoy your amp, you are very fortunate to get that.

@ Clayton

I have never even tried duck, but I must say...that looks wonderful, and i would love to try it.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #12,180 of 39,994
  Congrats on getting that, kept  you from waiting in line also.

I could not agree more.....Glenns amp makes the HD650 sound better than I have ever heard it....it makes the music flow so effortlessly and it is so transparent to tube rolling.

Enjoy your amp, you are very fortunate to get that.

@ Clayton

I have never even tried duck, but I must say...that looks wonderful, and i would love to try it.

x2

parbaked bought the smoked duck at a fancy schmancy foodie store; it was sooo good! He made crostini topped with cucumbers, arugula, and some great white sauce. He then plopped the smoked duck on top of all of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back