32GB Flash X5L
Aug 16, 2008 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

3X0

Headphoneus Supremus
On the heels of the HDD-to-flash iPods, I just got a 32GB A-Data CF card for $100 from Newegg and an IDE-to-CF adapter for $5 from eBay, ripped out the old hard drive (gently) and put in the new components, and loaded up Rockbox. Wow.

Sure, I'll never be able to use the OF again (nor its additional features like USB-OTG) with the CF installed, but I went from about 17:43 in battery_bench to 28:13 with Rockbox (2250 mAh dual-battery finally feels like it's doing its job). For the sound quality I get, plus getting that from the line-out, these numbers are very impressive. No more seeking, significantly reduced pausing when manually switching tracks or starting tracks, and the player itself just performs a whole lot better. I'm fairly certain this is placebo, but I even feel like it sounds better.

With all these conversions, I'm certain all the reliable old HDD-based players will outlast the newfangled fixed-storage flash players coming into the market. Flash may be the future, but I think that's more with installing high-capacity CF cards into compatible players rather than having permanent fixed memory integrated into player circuitry.

I can't wait for my 128GB flash X5L.

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm fairly certain this is placebo, but I even feel like it sounds better.

Since the change is still in the digital domain...yes.

1010100001010101 always sounds like 1010100001010101, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back