$400 upgrade suggestions
Apr 8, 2012 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

5370H55V

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, looking to upgrade with a $350-400 budget.

I'm looking for fullsized circumaural cans for home use, open or closed doesn't matter.
I listen to classical, jazz, rock, hip-hop, and J pop/rock with a lot of vocals. The point that I need clarification on is what sound signature I need for these genres. What I think I should get are cans with neutral to slightly emphasized bass with with smooth, detailed mids and highs. If anyone thinks another sound works better feel free to suggest it.

Dsnuts suggested the ATH-A900X for my needs, but since I can afford to spend more I wanted to see if there are other cans in my price range that could be suitable. Other cans I'm considering are the AKG K550, Beyer T70, and HE-300/400 (what's the difference?). Which one would be best, or are there any other options I haven't thought of?

And lastly, I only have an ibasso D4. Would it be able to drive any of the suggested cans adequately? If not, would it be a better idea to sell the D4 and buy a cheaper pair of headphones and an upgraded amp+dac combo?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Apr 8, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 19
I know that the K550 is easy to drive as is HE-300, HE-400 though being the easier ortho to drive should be a bit more of a challage compared to the dynamic ones. You could try looking at the Denon D2000/5000 

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
D5000 (former Denon flagship) open box from Electronics Expo priced at the top of your budget are difficult to top at that price.

I've seen you mention these before, but can you tell me how they fit my needs besides being a great deal? If you're talking about savings I think the T70's for $400 come close. How do the d5k's compare to the other phones I'm looking at? Do you have any experience listening to the genres I mentioned with them?

Quote:
I know that the K550 is easy to drive as is HE-300, HE-400 though being the easier ortho to drive should be a bit more of a challage compared to the dynamic ones. You could try looking at the Denon D2000/5000 

The Denons are mentioned quite a lot now, do you think they'll be suitable for what I listen to? It seems like everyone says they're very bassy, sometimes too much so.

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
I've seen you mention these before, but can you tell me how they fit my needs besides being a great deal? If you're talking about savings I think the T70's for $400 come close. How do the d5k's compare to the other phones I'm looking at? Do you have any experience listening to the genres I mentioned with them?

The Denons are mentioned quite a lot now, do you think they'll be suitable for what I listen to? It seems like everyone says they're very bassy, sometimes too much so.

I currently have it (got ti 2 days ago) and I think it has too much bass for me. I am not a bass head though and can be sensitive to bass some times. Where in CA are you located by chance? I'm in the same state myself.

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 19
Simply put--sonically  the D5000's just about everything very well across the entire audible frequency range.  With your diverse genres that what you need.  About the only things they don't do well for a closed headphone is isolate (they leak some) and travel (they have wooden cups).    Tyll has them on his Wall of Fame. 

See: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

More here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-d5000-reference-headphones

With regard to the other cans you are considering I have the ATH-A900 (no X).  It is the most disappointing can in my collection.  It's not that it's bad; it's just blah--DOA.  It is best suited for what my father calls "background music".  It's inoffensive but soulless.

The AKG K 550 is supposed to be the closed companion of the Q/K 701/2.  I have not heard the 550, but have the Q 701 and like it a great deal.  Reviews say the 550 is not as good as the Q.  The D5000 blows away my Q 701 except in sound stage (Q is open and is better) and clairty (where they are close).  In either case, you are pitting a good for its class $200 to $300 closed can against a good (or better) for its class $400 to $500 closed can.  D5000 is better.

I have not heard the HiFiMan cans but have read that they have had some quality control problems.  You'll have to ask someone else for a head to head for each.

The best Beyer with which I have any experience is the DT 880 Pro, which is a very good mid-fi can but not in the same class as the D5000.  Beyer makes a good product.  I have not heard the T 70.

Apr 8, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
I currently have it (got ti 2 days ago) and I think it has too much bass for me. I am not a bass head though and can be sensitive to bass some times. Where in CA are you located by chance? I'm in the same state myself.

Thanks for your input. I live in the SF bay area, although I'm currently in santa cruz for college.

Quote:
Simply put--sonically  the D5000's just about everything very well across the entire audible frequency range.  With your diverse genres that what you need.  About the only things they don't do well for a closed headphone is isolate (they leak some) and travel (they have wooden cups).    Tyll has them on his Wall of Fame. 

See: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

More here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-d5000-reference-headphones

With regard to the other cans you are considering I have the ATH-A900 (no X).  It is the most disappointing can in my collection.  It's not that it's bad; it's just blah--DOA.  It is best suited for what my father calls "background music".  It's inoffensive but soulless.

The AKG K 550 is supposed to be the closed companion of the Q/K 701/2.  I have not heard the 550, but have the Q 701 and like it a great deal.  Reviews say the 550 is not as good as the Q.  The D5000 blows away my Q 701 except in sound stage (Q is open and is better) and clairty (where they are close).  In either case, you are pitting a good for its class $200 to $300 closed can against a good (or better) for its class $400 to $500 closed can.  D5000 is better.

I have not heard the HiFiMan cans but have read that they have had some quality control problems.  You'll have to ask someone else for a head to head for each.

The best Beyer with which I have any experience is the DT 880 Pro, which is a very good mid-fi can but not in the same class as the D5000.  Beyer makes a good product.  I have not heard the T 70.

The 5000's do sound like great cans, but my main concern is still how bassy people say they are and I'm not sure if it suits my music. Other than that though, they would probably be in my top 3 choices along with the HE-400 and T70.

Also, how are the Sennheiser HD 600/650's?

Apr 8, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:

Thanks for your input. I live in the SF bay area, although I'm currently in santa cruz for college.

The 5000's do sound like great cans, but my main concern is still how bassy people say they are and I'm not sure if it suits my music. Other than that though, they would probably be in my top 3 choices along with the HE-400 and T70.

Ahhh sorry i'm in San Diego. Would have been more than glad to let you try it but SF is a bits away. Best of luck in your decision making!

Apr 8, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:

The D5000 is less bassy than the D2000, but has present and quality bass and sub-bass.  I listen to classic (50's to 70's) rock and U.S. roots music--so I'm not a basshead.

You better do some reading about the T70.  They seem to be the black sheep of the Beyer family.  It seems that very few people have bought them.

The Senn HD 600 are very neutral--probably not what you want.  I have only heard the HD 650 for a few minutes.  It has deeper bass and a more colored sound than the 600.  However, I doubt that a Senn meshes well with your genres.  However, I don't know them well--do you'll have to make that call.

Apr 8, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #10 of 19
The HE400's are sort of a new player and wildcard to the mid-fi game field. After burn-in they have stellar bass on par with $1k+ cans, very realistic mids, and smooth non-sibilant but relatively exciting treble, coupled with a very realistic soundstage and extremely layered imaging, as well as being very very easy to drive (sounds great out of most regular portable MP3 players even), you're in for a treat.

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 19
Hey there. I listen to J-pop/rock as well and have been looking for the right cans ever since I joined. I've tried quite a few can's along the way. The D2000's didn't really work for me. It's hard to describe from memory but they just didn't have that sparkle you need to for J-pop and j-rock didn't sound energetic. If the D5000 is just a refined D2000 I wouldn't recommend them. 

The a900x could be a good idea. I've tried the a700x and I found the bass to be lacking for my tastes so that could be perfect to you. The vocals were forward, so much so that they almost drowned out the other details. They didn't work too well for rock though, not or me. If your familiar with a band called scandal, they have a bass guitarists and it was really hard to make out her partsof the song. I can't recall how big the soundstage was though.

I tried some grado SR80i's and I currently have the SR225i's. Grado's actually work very well with j-pop. They combine high energy with an open back design for a unique presentation that I think works well for j-pop/rock. They don't feel like they are in my face as people describe, but they don't sound too far away so that the energy of the song is lost before it reaches you. I'm curious to know how the AD900's sound. Is the soundstage too big? I found the same problem with the SR80i's that I found with the a700x, in that the bass guitar wasn't really audible enough. It also has a weird coloration to the vocals. The SR225i fixes both of these problems but it's a lot more expensive and not worth it imo. Also doesn't have the same energy the 80 had, a bit more laid back.Best thing I would say is try as many headphones as you can. Buy from amazon and other places so you can return them if you need to. 

I realise it doesn't directly answer your question, just thought Id share my experience to give you a better idea. The AD2000 looks like a good buy if it's within your budget.

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #13 of 19
The denon's are basscan IMO, but the sound signature is quality top to bottom. If you don't like nice impactful bass with good extension, then they are probably not for you. Here are some suggestions:

*d5k+fiio e10

*he400+fiio e10

These are two high mid choices. You would be set with either. See my review on the he400 for more info.

good luck!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-review

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
The denon's are basscan IMO, but the sound signature is quality top to bottom. If you don't like nice impactful bass with good extension, then they are probably not for you. Here are some suggestions:

*d5k+fiio e10

*he400+fiio e10

These are two high mid choices. You would be set with either. See my review on the he400 for more info.

good luck!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-review

I would recommend going with any open headphone if you can. He 400 is also my recommendation. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #15 of 19
The he400 is fantastic!! It can be had from moon audio for $360 with coupon code. I found the fiio e10 used here for $50 shipped. You would be done. It doesn't get much better unless you're willing to spend two or three times the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back