40gb 4g iPod vs. iRiver H-140
Mar 12, 2005 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

enjoi_rootbeer

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, I'm new here. I thought it would be a good place to settle my dilemma. I'm so torn between the 4g iPod and the H-140. I dig the way the 4g's look, but the H140 in that iskin looks so good. And since the photo prices dropped, that's even more tempting. If anyone can post the cons of each one, that would help...alot. and a good pair of headphones that go with each. Thanks!

Mar 12, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 13
I got a H120 over the 20GB ipod myself

cons of the H120/H140 to me
no gapless playback
no OTF playlists (can queue one song up though)
no support for a compressed lossless codec (just wav)
and maybe for some people, no support for DRM WMA's from some online music stores

cons of the ipod to me
requires accesories to get some of the features of the H100's like the Sik-Din for line out and voice recorder
no lcd remote available for it
no ogg vorbis support
some EQ's distort sound
also no gapless playback

Mar 12, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 13
Pros on the H140
OGG support
LCD remote
Great sound
Optical digital in & out
Higher capacity battery (1300mah)
Rockbox
Radio
Recording
WAV playback
Silly things like Gameboy emulator via Rockbox

Cons of the H140
Dead slow DB
No gapless
No button scroll acceleration
No lossless support

Rockbox should fix all the cons, as FLAC is possible on the Archos with Rockbox.

Mar 13, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 13
The H140 has lots of features (as mentioned finding one is one of its biggest downfall), but to play devils advocate...

Few previously not mentioned negatives of the H140:
No AAC support (if we're bringing Vorbis into this)
No Firewire options
Significantly less third-party support
No Audible playback
No PDA features
Bigger and heavier than iPod
Sound quality*
That joystick
Worst designed display of information on screen in the history of DAPs

But remember it has a lith-poly battery, optical output, built-in recorder, etc.

Few previously not mentioned negatives about the iPod:
Metal backing looks good for buying, not for using.
Closed OS
Requires loader
No quality recording options
Sound quality*

And welcome to Head-Fi enjoi_rootbeer. Both are nice players (along with Karma, near the top IMO). If you go the Apple route, are you considering the new 30GB Photo instead? I just sold my 40GB 4G and after searching decided (for my use) to move over to the 30GB iPod. Lost 10GB, but got, most importantly, longer battery life. But have to admit, the color screen & album art is nice.

[size=xx-small]* This is highly subjective and general consensus fluctuates month by month which is superior.[/size]

Mar 13, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 13
actually the h140 weighs less than the 40gb ipod, only by 1g though, it is like 3mm thicker though, which isn't bad considering what the player has

and I actually like the interface on my h120 more than the 4g ipods my friends have, but I'm in a very small minority with that

Mar 13, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd
actually the h140 weighs less than the 40gb ipod, only by 1g though, it is like 3mm thicker though, which isn't bad considering what the player has

You're right. Guess my grams (iRiver)/oz (Apple) conversion was off. iRiver lighter. iPod smaller.

Mar 13, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 13
You guys have been very helpful. I'm leaning towards the iPod...i actually held a zen micro for the first time yesterday. i didn't think it was that small! if it had more than 6gb i'd definately pick one up.

Mar 13, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 13
I prefer the Iriver regarding sound, FEATURES, navigation, battery life, and screen.
The sound is much more dynamic than that of ipod.
Feature wize this players kills any Mp3 player on the market except for few iRiver's other players, and few Iaudio ones.
Navigation is better than ipod's if you like filetree structure, and your folders are well organized. If they are not well organized, then navigation is tedious.
Battery life is way better than ipod's, but the drawback is a need for bootup, rather than a standby mode.
Equalization is way better than ipods, and they don't cause distortion even at the highest DB settings, unless the headphones can't handle the Equalization.
Screen also is packed with info.

On Ipod however I prefer it's simplicity to use, looks, and the famous clickwheel (very important in my opinion). The sound is also very good however I prefer that of Iriver.

If size is a concern the Iriver and the ipod photo are about the same size, however Archos Xs200 is supposed to be 20GB measuring the size of most 20GB players.

Mar 13, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 13
I've compared the line-outs of the iRiver H-120 and the iPod through an Emmeline SR-71 with the Etymotic ER-4S and HD600, and personally think the iPod has a slightly more transparent sound overall, with a more neutral frequency response.

Mar 13, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Quality Guru
and personally think the iPod has a slightly more transparent sound overall, with a more neutral frequency response.

i.e. = no bass :p

Mar 15, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 13
He said he compared the line out of the iPod. The line output is stone flat. There's no lack of bass. If you did the same test he did and compared to the original CD, you would not be able to tell the difference.

See ya
Steve

Mar 15, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by daphox
i.e. = no bass :p

Using the 60G with KSC 35's, I find the sound very very involving, with amp bass. Very similar to the Karma with no EQ engaged. Once I buy a cradle for the iPod I will compare with various amps, but thus far the iPod does not disappoint in terms of sound compared with the Karma. Hard to discern differences as I don't have a Karma on hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back