$70 "Left Over." What to do?
Dec 31, 2006 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

3X0

Headphoneus Supremus
After some profligate spending, I have something like $71 left to spend on anything I want. Now, I'm facing a terrific quandary as to what to do with it.

I can get a portable amp, a new pair of 'phones (right now I have iM716s, ER4Ps, and KSC-75s), or wait for about a month and likely double or triple my budget.

Are there any worthwhile and highly affordable investments available for this budget, or should I wait? I've had my eye on the V-moda Vibes for a while now, but it's at least $10 above my budget and I have virtually no hope of finding them used.

I was also looking at the K81DJs, what with all the brouhaha surrounding them, but I don't want to pay more than $60 for a pair..

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 18
Good idea.

I guess I'm just a bit impatient, plus the money thing isn't a definite; I'm either getting more money or a car.

Plus those aforementioned two products are the main things I've been interested over so far, and they're within sight of my budget..

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 18
You can get some Grado SR60's.

Or maybe a Pa2v2.

Oorrrr a line-out dock for an iPod
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 18
I just got a philips SA1110 flash player for $60. To my surprise it sounds decent. Nothing groundbreaking, and it certainly wont replace my D335 PCDP for sound quality. But sonically it seems like its a step up from my Creative Muvo.

Nice knock around portable for those times when you don't want to risk damaging a more expensive ipod or hard drive based player.

Its made in China, so I doubt its really made by Phillips... they probably just have some OEM bulk fabricator slap on the philips logo.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 18
If you "believe in portable headphone amps" now (yeah, we read profiles around here, bub!), you could pick up a nice V5 Go-Vibe. Then, if the money does come "in a month or so" and doesn't go toward a car, a line-out dock (Turbo's Turbo Diabolous V) could round out the rig. I saw your ER4's listed in your sig and the preceding is my portable setup 'til my Tomahawk arrives in a few days to oust the Go-Vibe, but I'm very happy with this rig. You could be, as well. zD
etysmile.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 18
Go use your $10 Head-Fi coupon over at TTVJ (www.ttvj.com) and get a pair of SR-60s. You'll enjoy the heck out of them. Really.

Just click on the link and order. Move your cursor over the link and click. You can thank me later.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! Unfortunately altogether they contribute only to my bemusement..

I suppose I could elucidate on my sound preferences right now. I listen predominantly to trance, techno, and electronica. Other genres I frequently enjoy include post-grunge, metal, rock, trip-hop, and a sprinkle of classical. The former set contributes to approximately two thirds of my listening, while the latter set accomodates a third of its own. I appreciate a forwardness and definition but have grown to dislike flabby bottom end. What I ideally enjoy is a full but tight bottom end with appreciable mids and treble that are far from recessed. I like presence, definition, and resolution; I dislike flabbiness, recession, and overwhelming sibilance. This may sound blasphemous but I am not used to soundstage. I don't know whether I like it or hate it, but in general my listening has never contained rich soundstage or such perception, and I am patently unsure about the prospect, though I am sure it would be interesting.

The prospect of a flash player also seems alluring. I've been contemplating a flash player for recreational purposes when the size of the X5 becomes unwieldy. I'll look into the Philips; there seems to be a dearth of appealing flash players under $100.

The Sennheiser HD555.. I'm interested, but at the same time I'm chary. I'm not extensively familiar with the sound signature of the bigger Sennheisers, as I've accustomed myself mostly to some of their sub-$50 offerings. I'm mainly curious as to how they'd perform with my preferred genres and whether they'd hold semblance to my preferred sound signature.

The PA2V2 and Go-Vibe seem like excellent amp options that I might look into. My interest in amps is rather wishy-washy but continues to grow slowly. I've read comments that alleged that amps only contributed to some 10% of the final sound signature, and yet many praise them without reservations. I also use my Cowon iAudio X5 for most of my listening, and since the line-out of this device is seriously hampered, I'm curious as to the true impact of an amplifier when fed the headphone-out signal. I was also curious on how either of these amplifiers might effect the sound signature of my independent headphones (again, iM716, ER4P, KSC75). My readings lead me to understand that the amplifiers will contribute much to the airiness and soundstage of the headphone.

The Grado SR-60 also seems very appealing to me. I've always been interested in them because of the probability of my liking it (since I'm rather fond of the ER4P). However, I've been hesitant as I'm unsure these would see much use. I do very little at-home listening, but I was wondering if the SR-60 was good enough to change that. My listening environment is usually rather noisy. Also, I've read about them frequently and had an equally large concern: would they be too similar to my KSC-75? I'd be somewhat distraught if one supplanted the other as it would hurt some of the variety I enjoy with my meager set.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll do some more contemplative musing.

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a philips SA1110 flash player for $60. To my surprise it sounds decent. Nothing groundbreaking, and it certainly wont replace my D335 PCDP for sound quality. But sonically it seems like its a step up from my Creative Muvo.

Nice knock around portable for those times when you don't want to risk damaging a more expensive ipod or hard drive based player.

Its made in China, so I doubt its really made by Phillips... they probably just have some OEM bulk fabricator slap on the philips logo.

Do you have a pic of it? I'd like to see and I'll tell you.

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a pic of it? I'd like to see and I'll tell you.

Sure...

dscn8526xn5.jpg

dscn8524qo7.jpg

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 18
Hm! Looking at those PK1's, I was wondering: how do their lower-impedance (and lower-priced [in my budget]) counterpart, the PK2, compare to the options mentioned? I've heard the mids are very Grado-like but I'm curious as to whether I'd like them more than perhaps the K81DJ, Vibes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back