~$8K computer source?
Apr 17, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #92 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
How much is it? I can't find a price anywhere, or it's actual site.

Go here:
http://www.bd-design.nl/

and look under Finished Products
Bert is the international distributor. It is designed and built in Japan (I think Bert actually does final assembly in the Netherlands)

Steve

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #93 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Hey, bangraman.

Are you interested in building a transportable computer source, or you ae OK if it's a hulking home system?

-Ed

Transportable doesn't really enter into the equation I think. I don't have any need for a movable system (but not hulking). I'm getting some slanted racks for use under the desks so rackmount would actually be ideal, but I can move shelves around, etc.

I might actually make use of more than one of the suggestions here, as if I replace the dCS stack with a P8i for example, I'm not entirely sure at this point if that machine will eventually be able to act as a DAC (for the Mac Mini) too, as claimed. I'm thinking about sticking a DAC on the Denon 3910 instead, which will definitely give me audio out of the Mac or the Universal spinner. But I don't want the urge to upgrade just a short time later although as I said, the living room system will end up being my 'not as good' set-up.

I am encouraged though that I might just come out of this exercise spending a lot less than I'd thought (that'd be a first...
tongue.gif
)!

Apr 17, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #94 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
However, when I was saying "Perhaps the signaling is the same but the jack different" I was talking only about the I2S interface on the Zanden compared with a normal I2S one.

AFAIK there is no set standard for I2S. It's different and often proprietry on every piece of equipment. The last DAC I saw used a 8 pin DIN connector. What for I don't know since I2S doesn't have nearly that many signals.

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #95 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
AFAIK there is no set standard for I2S. It's different and often proprietry on every piece of equipment. The last DAC I saw used a 8 pin DIN connector. What for I don't know since I2S doesn't have nearly that many signals.

Yes, I've seen different connector types. As long as the signaling is the same and we can get a pinout diagram I'm not that concerned as you can always make an adaptor. What really concerns me is if they change the signaling a bit making it not 100% Standard. If that's the case it shouldn't be called I2S but this wouldn't be the first time something similar happens.

May 3, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #96 of 118
Just giving this thread a little slap. It's actually becoming quite likely that my home work environment will be Windows-free with the exception of a gaming platform (and even then, the XBox 360 will get a look in shortly), so I'm leaning towards the solution being hosted on a Mac.

I am interested in I2S, but I'm not absolutely convinced by the USB-I2S solutions available at the moment.

May 3, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #97 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz

Although there is a lot of variety, I thought most I2S interfaces used RJ45?

May 3, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #98 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
SACD has 192 kHz sample rate. That doesn't mean you need to be a porpoise to hear the music...
icon10.gif

you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. here, let me try: humans can hear up to 35 purple elves!!

May 3, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #99 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Do I understand correctly that you do not want be to tell you to get yourself a new intel Mac mini (1GB RAM), at least two MacMini M9 - DX enclosures with HDDs sized to your needs, +a 20" cinema display. In Germany this runs you about €2,25K with 500GB drives but things tend to be cheaper in the US, so you'll end up around $2,3K. Still $5,7K left for the DAC of your choice to be hooked up via optical or USB.

I like that idea, with the Mini's optical out it could sound very good with low jitter. You can also get a 2 TB firewire external drive in the same shape/footprint as the Mini and use it for HD movies as well as a audio server.

May 3, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #100 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I am interested in I2S, but I'm not absolutely convinced by the USB-I2S solutions available at the moment.

I2S is rather meaningless in this context since you need to output it directly from the computer to get any advantages.

Simply get a RME or Lynx soundcard with worldclock in and a pro DAC with worldclock out, in order to slave the drive to the the DAC. If you like the DCS sound, you could get a DCS954 for example.

May 3, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #101 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
I2S is rather meaningless in this context since you need to output it directly from the computer to get any advantages.

Simply get a RME or Lynx soundcard with worldclock in and a pro DAC with worldclock out, in order to slave the drive to the the DAC. If you like the DCS sound, you could get a DCS954 for example.

That is sort of what I figured. Lots of technical talk concerning the USB interface however confused me a bit.

I already have the Fireface so this bit is easy. As I may mentioned before, the 954 is an option. I just haven't been able to hear one yet.

May 4, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #102 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
I like that idea, with the Mini's optical out it could sound very good with low jitter. You can also get a 2 TB firewire external drive in the same shape/footprint as the Mini and use it for HD movies as well as a audio server.

Doesn't getting a million external drives completely defeat the point of having a mac mini?

And just using the optical out from the onboard sound isn't anywhere near the best digital output you could get from a computer, especially at 8k.

May 4, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #103 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Doesn't getting a million external drives completely defeat the point of having a mac mini?

And just using the optical out from the onboard sound isn't anywhere near the best digital output you could get from a computer, especially at 8k.

I think that was just for the other poster's benefit. And considering the noise some of those 'Mac Mini-Style' enclosures make, it's a definite no-no. You're much better sticking a NAS out of the way somewhere.

Besides... in relation to Bennyboy you're dealing with a guy who probably in all seriousness says what he says on his sig. It's highly unlikely any particularly sage advice is issuing forth
tongue.gif

May 4, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #104 of 118
bangraman>Seeming as you like the idea of bolting a dac onto the denon. Would a surround sound processor/dac be out of the question?

Something like a Tag mclaren, meridian, lexicon etc?

Or would a surround sound integrated suffice? Something like a denon 3805 or a different manufacturer at the same level?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back