A device like this could make a nice Digital Transport...
Nov 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

AnAnalogSpirit

500+ Head-Fier
The HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA2 1TB version. If this device was "improved" to add USB-OTG (or other method) of Digital Line Output and audio playback features, it would make a great Digital Transport.

I saw this "photo tank" with "multimedia player" built in and almost got excited... It plays back photo files as you'd expect, but not video, or audio, which is a bit of a letdown considering what it offers. 

That didn't deter me from getting into a "customer service chat" to ask if hooking up a USB DAC via the USB OTG function would allow the device to stream audio file data digitally to an outboard DAC.

When the manager was consulted and informed they don't currently have plans for this feature to be added, I suggested how desired such a feature would be and they decided to forward the chat convo to their R&D department.

Look, I'm far from holding my breath or anything like that. However it's nice to see some positive reception to such a suggestion plausible these days. And who knows? maybe something will come of it, if not, then maybe FiiO can work on creating that user-proposed "X1" ampless Digital Transport Only model sometime in the future to follow up after the X3?

In any case, I like that this HyperDrive device has user swappable SATA 2.5" drives, and a CF port to "add" media to the HDD, as well as SD port for same. Also a color screen to allow file navigation for playback... If it really COULD hook up to a DAC & be used as a Transport, it would be nice (though more in the TRANSportable size bracket than the Portable/Pocketable size bracket. Though the idea of hooking up and or swapping 2.5" WD Scorpio Blue 1TB notebook drives full of FLAC (redbook or HD, or another desired lossless format) sounds like a nice prospect.

Company / Product URL : http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA2-1TB-version-p/hdu2-1tb.htm

Chat Log contents:

Now online: Leave a question or comment and our agents will try to attend to you shortly =)​
[size=medium] Leo H
[/size]
RE: the HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA2 1TB model, it says on BHPhotoVideo that it has a media player built in... I recognize this seems to be primarily geared toward being a "photo storage tank" device, however, does it play any AUDIO formats? Additionally, does it have any output methods to say a USB DAC for being used as a transport to play audio files if it was loaded up with music? Thats a feature I'm looking for in a high-density storage device.
I'll wait patiently and hopefully one of your staff can find some of the info I am interested in
You are currently being served by 
Michael​
[size=medium] Michael
[/size]
The device does not playback audio if that is what you are asking.
It can save audio files
[size=medium] Leo H
[/size]
but it cannot play any audio files or stream the audio data via usb otg to an outboard DigitatAnalogConverter?
[size=medium] Michael
[/size]
Let me check on that, one sec
[size=medium] Leo H
[/size]
if so that would be awesome, and if not, that would be a great feature to add to the product. many folks would like "audio jukeboxes" for their lossless audio files they can hook up to a DAC for playback
[size=medium] Michael
[/size]
I spoke to my manager about your question, unfortunately we are not planning to have this feature on the UDMA 2 device.
[size=medium] Leo H
[/size]
I would urge your manager to think about adding such a feature to the device or a future revision. Many audio enthusiats / audiphiles are looking for an option exactly as I'm describing. Many wouldn't think twice about dropping $700USD on such a device. Food for thought
You are currently being served by 
Kelvin​
[size=medium] Leo H
[/size]
Thank you and your manager for your time. I'd urge you to read up on the FiiO X3 thread on Head-Fi.org
[size=medium] Kelvin
[/size]
Hi Leo, thanks for the feedback, will pass it to our R&D and marketing team to review the feature.
[size=medium] Leo H
[/size]
great Kelvin, thank you very much
have a pleasant day, hope you had fun on Halloween!
bye
[size=medium] Kelvin
[/size]
Thank you and same to you.
Thank you for visiting us at the HyperShop.com

Images of the Device:

Just sharing ambitious ideas. Pie in the Sky, sure, but the daydreams are still tasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back