A little about the Shozy Alien
Dec 22, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #497 of 3,124
Got mine today and all I can say is WOW! using my Dunu 2k and HD650 so far i'm really impressed more impressions to come :)

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #498 of 3,124
  Got mine today and all I can say is WOW! using my Dunu 2k and HD650 so far i'm really impressed more impressions to come :)

HD650
eek.gif

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #499 of 3,124
Exactly what I was thinking lol

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #501 of 3,124
  So I have finally been able to put some listening time in with my Alien.
Wow, what  fantastic little dap.

After much frustration in getting my 64gb card to work (I know I know, would have been so much easier to just use a 32gb card lol.
I had to use my SD card reader, then use partition software to convert to fat32, however, once fat 32 my card reader would no longer play nice with the card, so I had to use my phone to transfer my music to the card.

All in all though, I now have 45gb of music on my alien.

I know you are thinking LORD WHY?? YOU HAVE NO SCREEN??!?!

Well because my card is full of duplicates.  I have folders for albums, but I also have a favourites folder (essentially shuffle) and also some folders for Genre's depending on my mood.
ALl of the above prefixed with "a" @ the start, so they are the first folders.  Worst case, if I want to hit the first "album" folder I have to long press 5 times.

NOW.

I bought this in the hopes it would MAYBE replace my AK100ii, as I dont really need all that money tied up in a DAP and I also dont believe in having multiple gearsets in my position.  I listen to music on the commute and at work.  If I had a setup/time at home, different story.

Will this Alien replace my ak100ii... Sadly not.  With 192gb storage and a fantastic UI, amazing sound and a somewhat powerful amp section and balanced out, the ak100ii is a hard cookie to crumble.

Will I be selling the Alien?  ABSOLUTELY NOT!

This thing is an absolute gem.  The quality of sound it produces and the emotions it evokes within are astonishing.  I will be using this little thing on the commute every day.
I would put the quality of sound (at a reasonable volume, I did notice the sound degrades as the volume increases quite badly) at an almost dx90 level techincally and exceeding the dx90 in engagement.  It is so musical, however doesnt seem to be at the cost of detail.  Sure its a little hefty in the bass, but this doesnt bleed into the mids and muddy things up, so power to the bass I say (Heck, I bought Ref1's, If I didnt like a bit of bass, that was a silly choice wasnt it).

I am currently sitting here a/bing the Alien and the ak100ii and enjoying them both equally.
Sure if I sat and critically listened for every detail the ak comes out trumps.  But if I just close my eyes and enjoy the music then both are fantastic.

So in closing, I bought the Alien with the hope of it either replacing my ak100ii or hating the Alien and selling it to some lucky bidder in head-fi.  This backfired as now I have 2 DAPs I have no interest in parting with :frowning2:

Pretty much this. It's not a giant killer but stands plenty tall on it's own. I do think the DX90 has a bit more resolve (when the file is good enough to show it) but perhaps the Alien is more engaging.
smile.gif

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #502 of 3,124
  Is there any info about what DAC chip the alien uses? what amp?

cheapo? 
deadhorse.gif
 it's not a good or bad thing maybe 
just like ps1 can be a good cdp, and hisound machines sound well( just imo), proofing it when resources are well utilized, average parts may work like a champ... no hype train for self realization tho

nothing is pricey when you look up for chips anyways

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #504 of 3,124

HD650
eek.gif

I'm using my Cayin C5 with the alien, I'm liking what's coming from out it. on another note how bright is the LED.. I went to bed listening to it and wow the little light is bright.

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #505 of 3,124
This claim is based on a 10 minute sample size but I think pairing it with the E12A distorts the clarity

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #507 of 3,124
A copper cable will produce better sound? I was using the FiiO L16 silver cable (from the HS6 stacking kit)

I'm not sure if I even need an amp tbh, but life would admittedly be a lot better without that white noise. The E12A didn't seem to do much for me on that front like Loquah suggested. Maybe I just need to spend more time with em. 10 mins is obviously nothing

But then again, I'm using an E12A and he's using an E12DIY

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #508 of 3,124
A copper cable will produce better sound? I was using the FiiO L16 silver cable (from the HS6 stacking kit)

I'm not sure if I even need an amp tbh, but life would admittedly be a lot better without that white noise. The E12A didn't seem to do much for me on that front like Loquah
 suggested. Maybe I just need to spend more time with em. 10 mins is obviously nothing

The Fiio L16 'silver' cable is only so so...does not sound good to me, it could also be your weak link between the source and amp.

E12A should be a fine amp (I'm using E12 btw). It should not distort the clarity. Having said that, Alien is fine without amp too.

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #509 of 3,124

I'm not sure if I even need an amp tbh, but life would admittedly be a lot better without that white noise. The E12A didn't seem to do much for me on that front like Loquah suggested. Maybe I just need to spend more time with em. 10 mins is obviously nothing

It depends... all is about synergy 
wink.gif

A genuine OCC cable may do you good quality at acceptable cost, for sure some silver is more ideal for good conductivity but if it emphasizes the weak point of the system it won't be helpful. More importantly I mentioned clean sounding amp, which is better matched by some warmer sounding ICs just imo 
biggrin.gif

Piccolino IC and an amp focusing on the wubwub, good synergy! 

Haha PAW Gold, a $2000 card reader for your Alien!

Seriously speaking that is very appreciated, to feature usb 3.0 for mass storage devices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back