A little about the Shozy Alien
Dec 29, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #616 of 3,124
Unfortunately it seems that I may not have the ears or expensive enough headphones/IEM's to actually consider the Alien Shozy a DAP that blows my mind.
The equipment listed in my signature are the highest end audio equipment I've ever owned; so no I don't have UERM's or HD650's that scale up to the detail the Shozy's are capable of that everyone claims there is.

In regards to my comparisons, note that these differences are ~1% at most. That's why I say I feel the differences rather than hear them.

-I can tell that the highs are definitely smoothed out and less harsh (compared to my other sources)
-Sub bass feels more solid and mid bass is less boomy (compared to my other sources)
-Vocals feel more focused , allowing other instruments to get more clarity. Or if there's 2 singers singing together, I can tell them apart a bit better.(...)

The mids generally feel like an Audio Technica headphone in which vocals are narrow in soundstage but sweet and clear. 3-5khz area feel a bit darker too compared to a flatter sounding ODAC/O2 (or at least I think they're flatter). The reason I said this is because I saw people say the Shozy sounds organic, and I guess they're right, they're similar to the ATH-A900X that is somewhere tied to the word organic. To me organic means easy to listen to and enjoyable.

The only con I have with the Shozy is that my 8gb micro sd card doesn't work with it, although my FiiO X3 can flawlessly use it, along with my Nikon DSLR. In a nutshell, if you put me in a blind test with the Alien Shozy and my other sources; I wouldn't be able to tell with my headphones.

Kudos to @BruceBanner for showing me how to shuffle my songs, I always use shuffle and this work-around made my playback experience much better.

I apologize if my post sounds indecisive, but that's how I feel about the Alien Shozy.

Edit: I went for a shower and cleaned out my ears... There's a coherent layering in everything.... With the Q701's, everything sounds a bit jumbled in busy songs with my Dared MP5. However I stuck the Alien Shozy to my Dared MP5's amp again and I'm quite enjoying my songs even more. Guess I needed brain burn in?

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #617 of 3,124
So are you amping or running straight from the Alien? The Q701s would need an amp (MP5?) and the amp may influence the sound presentation. Otherwise, the ER4S should work nicely I would expect.

All that said, the Alien isn't a player that jumps out and hits you upside the head with treble, detail or any specific thing - to me its excellence lies more in the overall coherence and enjoyment of the music so it may not ever "wow" you

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #618 of 3,124
  So are you amping or running straight from the Alien? The Q701s would need an amp (MP5?) and the amp may influence the sound presentation. Otherwise, the ER4S should work nicely I would expect.

All that said, the Alien isn't a player that jumps out and hits you upside the head with treble, detail or any specific thing - to me its excellence lies more in the overall coherence and enjoyment of the music so it may not ever "wow" you

I found your last sentence to be true.

Although for a DAP that sounds better (and cheaper) than my ODAC/O2; it's quite something.

I'm running the Alien through the Dared MP5's amp/O2's amp for headphones, yes.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #619 of 3,124
So many Tera are poping up in the classified lately. Even the most unconditional Tera fan I can remember is selling his!!!  Wonder if the Alien has anything to do with that...

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #620 of 3,124
I think the Shozy is testing how much I'm willing to sacrifice for sound quality.

First it partially rejects my 8gb micro sd card in which it plays 6 songs, and then it makes a loud buzzing noise nearly blowing my ears out. (Which the micro sd card works with my Nikon DSLR for heavy writing/reading, as well as my FiiO X3).
I tried my 4gb micro sd card and it worked, but it fits 120/170 of my songs.

Next it caused a power surge on my USB port, I used the USB cable that came with the Shozy and plugged it into the rear of my PC. I made sure that I had enough power for it (Asus Crosshair Formula-Z motherboard, 120w headroom for peripherals, and enabled USB Device charging through the BIOS). Now that USB port is dead and I get this error: "A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port". 

Next I did a full format of the micro sd card FAT32/Default Allocation size (not the quick format). The Shozy just doesn't recognize the card now. The 8gb micro sd card still works for the rest of my devices though.

Edit: The micro usb port in the Shozy doesn't work now unless if I push it a certain angle for it to charge. I tried a USB hub that provides power from the wall socket, other USB ports; no luck.

Everyone has such a smooth experience with their Alien, but mine is just a nightmare 
frown.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #622 of 3,124
  Yeah, I went through a couple of days of "What the hell have I bought"
Though I didn't have the hardware problems you seem to be having I was having all sorts of trouble getting it to like my files/cards etc.

But Alien and I have moved on to a better place :p

By "moved on to a better place", does that mean it works for you now?

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #623 of 3,124

By "moved on to a better place", does that mean it works for you now?

Yeah, I have written a macro that selects a specified number of random albums from my collection and moves them to a specified location (sd)
Also can move a specified number of random songs to a specified location (shuffle list folder).

This all works nicely, I have my 64gb card in fat 32 behaving now and havent had any playback issues other than it running flat on me yesterday and starting to stutter playback, plugged in usb and restarted track, viola.

It is a great sounding device, but it has its trade-offs.  Just a matter of whether you can live with them :)

Give it some time though, on day 2 my Alien was going to be the best sounding frisbee known to man kind.

Scott

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #624 of 3,124

Have to agree with Loquah pairing may be the issue I also have also have the Q701 and I enjoy it a lot with my C5, the upper feq are not so harsh with my setup. (as to per my old setup) so it may just be a pairing issue. The alien presentation is very natural to me the sound placement is very good compared to my other DAP's and for some it may not jump out at you but it will make you listening session more enjoyable as the sound isn't exaggerated in any way. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #625 of 3,124
  I think the Shozy is testing how much I'm willing to sacrifice for sound quality.

First it partially rejects my 8gb micro sd card in which it plays 6 songs, and then it makes a loud buzzing noise nearly blowing my ears out. (Which the micro sd card works with my Nikon DSLR for heavy writing/reading, as well as my FiiO X3).
I tried my 4gb micro sd card and it worked, but it fits 120/170 of my songs.

Next it caused a power surge on my USB port, I used the USB cable that came with the Shozy and plugged it into the rear of my PC. I made sure that I had enough power for it (Asus Crosshair Formula-Z motherboard, 120w headroom for peripherals, and enabled USB Device charging through the BIOS). Now that USB port is dead and I get this error: "A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port". 

Next I did a full format of the micro sd card FAT32/Default Allocation size (not the quick format). The Shozy just doesn't recognize the card now. The 8gb micro sd card still works for the rest of my devices though.

Edit: The micro usb port in the Shozy doesn't work now unless if I push it a certain angle for it to charge. I tried a USB hub that provides power from the wall socket, other USB ports; no luck.

Everyone has such a smooth experience with their Alien, but mine is just a nightmare 
frown.gif

I had similar issue when I got mine aswell but once I formatted it to Fat32 everything worked fine i got a 3rd party formatting program to do it cant remember of the top of my head. Also I sometime get loud freezing sound I think it may be the song file itself that its trying to play. I deleted the file and everything is ok so i think some files the alien dont get along with not sure why that is.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #626 of 3,124
Yeah, I have written a macro that selects a specified number of random albums from my collection and moves them to a specified location (sd)
Also can move a specified number of random songs to a specified location (shuffle list folder).

This all works nicely, I have my 64gb card in fat 32 behaving now and havent had any playback issues other than it running flat on me yesterday and starting to stutter playback, plugged in usb and restarted track, viola.

It is a great sounding device, but it has its trade-offs.  Just a matter of whether you can live with them :)

Give it some time though, on day 2 my Alien was going to be the best sounding frisbee known to man kind.

Scott

I don't know if I can keep a device that fries my USB port, alongside with the micro USB port on the Shozy that's also broken. I'll give it a day before I say my farewell... :xf_eek:

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #628 of 3,124

Exchange or refund

That's typical for a loose solder joint, therefore either you get it exchanged or you open this baby up and start soldering yourself :).

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #629 of 3,124

I'll give it a day before I say my farewell...
redface.gif

frown.gif

Step 1: Buy smallerest soldering iron
Step 2: Invest all your skill points and max out your SMT soldering skill tree
Step 3: Get access to clean room
Step 4: Buy hazmat suit
Step 5: Dissect your alien
Step 6: ???
Step 6.5 (optional): Send your findings to the FBI
Step 7: Sew the alien back together
Step 8: Insert your microsd card into the alien
Step 9: Plug your 'phones into the alien