ACRO CA1000 impression thread
Jan 19, 2022 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

audionewbi

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, as the unit is getting released more widely now, I thought I create a separate impression thread from the product page. Hopefully this makes it easier for members to find what they are looking for:

If you have any issues about CA1000, questions or requests, please use this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-acro-ca1000-carriable-headphone-amp.961444/
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Product information and link to other important reviews:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 5
25-Jan-2022:
Physical feature:

• Physical feature: Hinge,The first thing that I tested was the hinge. I wanted to have a feel of how will the screen hold up in its upright position. I can say the hinge is quite firm, the screen will not wobble when it is in the upright position.
  • Volume knob: I love this feature a lot. It's easily accessible and thanks for its four gain setting, it will allow me to fine-tune the sound, however I do wish for a analog volume knob, nothing quiet feels like the DMP-Z1 volume knob.
  • Music service: We have access to download the following apps:
    • Spotify
    • Amazon Music
    • Moov
    • Qobuz
    • Deezer
    • FLO (which is owned by Dreamus, iriver parent company)
    • Apple Music (which I will be doing for testing of streaming services.
  • 26-Jan-2022:
  • Sound impression: I've moved away from Delta Sigma sound a while ago. I like how R2R DAC sound, to my ears they are less fatiguing and more detailed. One of the reasons why I've not shown much interest in the current flagship DAPS is I feel they are all about resolution, micro detail.
    After spending well over one year with likes of LP6, P6, HM1000, I went back to Calyx M. Calyx M has been my favourite all-time DAP for a long time. I'm sad to say it no longer is, I find the treble way too sharp now. I've grown accustomed to the more mellow, spread, less intense sound of R2R daps.
    The sharper, more detailed, intense tonality is what I would describe the Delta Sigma based DAPS.
    CA1000 thankfully does not sound like that, it sounds a lot more balance, yes still clean, maybe a little too clean for my taste. (I like warmer tonality). Those of you who like the house sound of Chord Hugo/Hugo 2 should feel right at home with CA1000.\
  • ACRO CA1000 has above average sound depth, with large vertical staging, but it horizontal sound spread is average. With Cross-feed enabled, the soundstage does become quite wider.
    Maybe over time this changes, I will report back if it does change.
  • The only annoyance I notice with DSD 256 playback, while I adjust the sound, I hear static noise which I suspect is an FW bug that can easily be fixed.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Just received mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back