Adding music to iTunes is the most infuriating experience on the planet
Oct 7, 2010 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Maxvla

Headphoneus Supremus
So I am trying to merge a collection of 60 or so CDs with my current iTunes collection.

I have it all on 1 drive so I copied the additions to the drive I have iTunes 'monitoring'. I then open iTunes and expect it to find the new albums. This does not happen. I click to add a folder directly to iTunes and this picks up 4 of the 60 CDs. I try to do it again and nothing happens. Now I'm stuck with a ton of CDs that apparently iTunes doesn't think is worthy of it's processing. This added to the 10 CDs worth that it's already done this to me before. Currently have about 7GB of music all perfectly well tagged and in mp3 format that iTunes just won't show.

I've had so many problems with this software it is beyond ridiculous. I can't see how people use this day in and day out. I only use it to sync stuff to my iPod, but now I can't even really do that, since I can't add to my collection. This software is total crap.

Foobar has zero problems picking up 100% of the songs, and does it all by itself automatically, and lists everything by directory, which is how I have it organized and how I like it organized. iTunes just puts it however it wants and ignores albums on a whim.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 37
That is weird!
I have been using iTunes since early 2004 and still do, without any complains.

I organize my own library though, instead of allowing iTunes to organize it. That may be the key to flawless run through all these years.
Making sure these two options are unchecked i the iTunes Preferences.
screenshot20101007at163.png

Then organize your files in any folder/file structure you want before drag and drop the top folder into iTunes. Each time you add a new album place it in the location you want then drag and drop into iTunes. Woila!

Never had iTunes reject any file/codec types it support.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 37
There seems be to be a lot of hate towards iTunes lately, and most of it seems to do with improper usage.

I do the opposite of krmathis, which I personally find is a lot easier. 

1) Leave both boxes checked (auto organize and auto copy)
2) Drag any songs (or folders of songs) you want to add into the iTunes window
3) iTunes will copy the songs into the iTunes folder, into the automatically generated, appropriately named folders
4) Delete the original files you had

Now all your files are in your iTunes library, and organized without you having to do anything. If you need to copy or delete a file, do it inside the iTunes window instead of sorting through Windows Explorer.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 37
I am not aware of iTunes being able to 'monitor' folders like foobar2000 or Windows Media Player... is this a new feature of the latest version, or a feature of the Windows version of iTunes?

Anyways, also echoing the other posters about not having any problems in all my years of using iTunes. However, unlike the above two I organize my music manually and do not have those auto-organize and copy checkboxes checked.

I simply drag my folders into iTunes and it picks everything up nicely.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 37
Originally Posted by MadCow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However, unlike the above two I organize my music manually and do not have those auto-organize and copy checkboxes checked.

Hmmm. Above two?
You clearly do it the same way I do - one of the two above.
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 37
Whether it is improper usage or poor user interface affordances both myself and my missus have had plenty of trouble with iTunes seemingly randomly deleting files and not sync'ing properly, we are both Ph.Ds and Lecturers in Information Systems with expertise in HCI and Usability, fwiw we both evaluate iTunes as being , better find a technical term for this......pants ! This got to the point where my wife was crap scared to use iTunes to copy to the PC wedding video footage from her 4G iPod Touch !

Coming from a company that gets so high and mighty about the intuitiveness of its software compared to Micro$oft I am a bit underwhelmed most of the time.

PS I am very rude about MS software to my students, I am an equal opportunities grouch !

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:
There seems be to be a lot of hate towards iTunes lately, and most of it seems to do with improper usage.

I'm of the opinion that by definition you shouldn't be able to improperly use a program...

: D

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 37

Quote:
That is weird!
I have been using iTunes since early 2004 and still do, without any complains.

I organize my own library though, instead of allowing iTunes to organize it. That may be the key to flawless run through all these years.
Making sure these two options are unchecked i the iTunes Preferences.

Then organize your files in any folder/file structure you want before drag and drop the top folder into iTunes. Each time you add a new album place it in the location you want then drag and drop into iTunes. Woila!

Never had iTunes reject any file/codec types it support.

I have both unchecked. I used the menu option to add the folder the first time. I just tried the drag and drop method and that caused it to sit there with the cursor showing activity for about a minute, but in the end nothing happened.

Perhaps Apple does this intentionally for their Windows version...

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 37

Quote:
I am not aware of iTunes being able to 'monitor' folders like foobar2000 or Windows Media Player... is this a new feature of the latest version, or a feature of the Windows version of iTunes?

I assumed this was a feature of any media program. I guess I was right in iTunes still being a 10+ year old program.

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 37

Quote:

Anyways, also echoing the other posters about not having any problems in all my years of using iTunes. However, unlike the above two I organize my music manually and do not have those auto-organize and copy checkboxes checked.

Yes, ... \iTunes\iTunes Media\Automatically Add to iTunes\  <== this folder is monitored and whatever you drop in there iTunes will move and organize under ...\iTunes Media\Music\ or ...\iTunes Media\Movies\

I haven't messed with it, I still organize things my way like krmathis does.

Quote:

I do the opposite of krmathis, which I personally find is a lot easier. 

1) Leave both boxes checked (auto organize and auto copy)
2) Drag any songs (or folders of songs) you want to add into the iTunes window
3) iTunes will copy the songs into the iTunes folder, into the automatically generated, appropriately named folders
4) Delete the original files you had

Now all your files are in your iTunes library, and organized without you having to do anything. If you need to copy or delete a file, do it inside the iTunes window instead of sorting through Windows Explorer.

x2

Anything seems like *** if you don't understand it, lol.

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 37
Managing everything through 1 program seems dumb. Other programs can monitor changes not done within the program, why can't iTunes?

I guess they are so full of themselves at apple they expect you to never use any other programs.

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #13 of 37

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that by definition you shouldn't be able to improperly use a program...

: D

Now we get into the realm of the software second-guessing you, if you ever use Excel you are constantly interrupted by Excel trying to be helpful by telling you you havent added in adjacent cells or telling you that you could have done things in one of seventeen other different ways, the software should allow you to do things that are exceptional/unexpected, however when the actions are destructive it should warn you first. There are almost always ways of using software that are not part of the explicit design, if there are not then it is very simple/limited/didactic software...

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 37

Quote:
Now we get into the realm of the software second-guessing you, if you ever use Excel you are constantly interrupted by Excel trying to be helpful by telling you you havent added in adjacent cells or telling you that you could have done things in one of seventeen other different ways, the software should allow you to do things that are exceptional/unexpected, however when the actions are destructive it should warn you first. There are almost always ways of using software that are not part of the explicit design, if there are not then it is very simple/limited/didactic software...

That's exactly my point.  Doing it differently should not be construed as incorrect use by the program.  I hate Word and Excel for the same reason.  Another thing that ticked me off was the removal of the ability to sort files/folders manually in a folder in Windows 7 (dunno if that was in Vista or not).  I don't even want to get started with OS X...  Well, to each his own, right?

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #15 of 37
I would not be surprised if it is related to the fact that you run iTunes on MS Windows.
It is a pretty well known fact that iTunes does not run as smooth on MS Windows as it does on Mac OS X. Not as smooth and with less features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back