Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 1, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #2,356 of 2,363
Ok… last shots. These are of the inside. I had to make a bracket to keep the impedance dial at 90 degrees and allow the flexible joint and steel rod do their thing and give me 3mm clearance. I wanted space for up to 60mm volume dial so I couldn’t move the impedance dial any closer. I haven’t done metal work since school so it was fun revisiting some lost skills.

This is a new board using the new PCB boards with the 600v Jupiter capacitors over the 400v ones on the previous build. Also used Neotech solid core 20awg throughout, apart from earthing connections which is stranded. Also in is Neotech NEI - 3002 Mk3 UP OCC connecting the rca to volume pot. I had this spare and got bloody minded about fitting it in… I won in the end :L3000:

Probably could do with tidy up but now is time for a dram… I feel I need it 🥴

Edit… oh, and I used the 12k hour life Rubycon caps as well.

IMG_6596.jpeg

IMG_6594.jpeg

IMG_6593.jpeg

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #2,357 of 2,363
Ok… few more

Prep… sanding done and final coat of primer… 4 coats.
IMG_6421.jpeg

next two are the top panels from both amps before the paint work is flattened and cut.

IMG_6433.jpeg

IMG_6441.jpeg

@JTbbb amp after testing the heater cable supply.

IMG_6507.jpeg

Output transformers fitted but before final alignment of sockets and paint flattening. Still waiting on chokes so just waiting for them to finish off.
IMG_6525.jpeg

Here’s mine. Fully working but it still has a few bits to finish. Need the chrome/silver logo badge for the top left above the switch. Still not 100% with the dials, especially the smaller impedance dial. Audio Note are all out of dials at the moment. The paintwork has been flattened but I’ll be adding some more wax to finish off. Not quite finished but getting there!

IMG_6577.jpeg
Damn!!! That looks incredible, and very much like an Endgame amp to me.

Well done!:clap:

May 1, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #2,359 of 2,363
Damn!!! That looks incredible, and very much like an Endgame amp to me.

Well done!:clap:

Thanks... that's what I was hoping for before I started, a bit of a relief that it turned out as planed. Just need the Aegis badge and a better smaller dial.
Sitting down this evening listening to my music and it's still hard to believe it's nearly done. I love how the dark blue is almost near black at night but then gives a hint of blue if the light catches it right.

Very impressive, well done @Toonartist !!

Thank you very much... The Aegis is so good though it's more than worth the effort, just so pleased that you provided me with the opportunity to do this, forever grateful :gs1000smile:

May 1, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #2,360 of 2,363
A little announcement for aspiring builders - without getting into details, for some medical reasons, chassis from Landfall are going to be unavailable for a period of time. Dave and Saer plan to get back up and running as soon as possible (projected mid to late summer) and will update their website homepage when they're taking orders again.

May 2, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #2,361 of 2,363
Ok… few more

IMG_6421.jpeg

next two are the top panels from both amps before the paint work is flattened and cut.

IMG_6433.jpeg

IMG_6441.jpeg

IMG_6507.jpeg

Output transformers fitted but before final alignment of sockets and paint flattening. Still waiting on chokes so just waiting for them to finish off.
IMG_6525.jpeg

Here’s mine. Fully working but it still has a few bits to finish. Need the chrome/silver logo badge for the top left above the switch. Still not 100% with the dials, especially the smaller impedance dial. Audio Note are all out of dials at the moment. The paintwork has been flattened but I’ll be adding some more wax to finish off. Not quite finished but getting there!

IMG_6577.jpeg
🧘🏻‍♂️ Pure zen!
Dude! That looks amazing! Great job!
What he said 👆🏻

May 2, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #2,362 of 2,363
Ok… few more

IMG_6421.jpeg

IMG_6433.jpeg

IMG_6441.jpeg

IMG_6507.jpeg

IMG_6525.jpeg

IMG_6577.jpeg

The leather of Nirvana, the colors of Viva, and the build of Toonartist... dude, you're the GOAT of Aegis builders.. just, wow!

1714625018885.png

May 2, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #2,363 of 2,363
🧘🏻‍♂️ Pure zen!

What he said 👆🏻

The leather of Nirvana, the colors of Viva, and the build of Toonartist... dude, you're the GOAT of Aegis builders.. just, wow!

1714625018885.png

Wow, thanks guys... lost for words 😀

As I've mentioned before, hats off to @L0rdGwyn as without his hard work designing this amp and making it available to us as a DIY, I would never of had the opportunity to build this let alone listen to it everyday!! It must be about a year now that I first decided to build this amp... my, how time flies when you're having fun :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back