Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Nov 6, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #1,246 of 2,589
Hi, I decided to build this amp, but I'm a bit confused about the transformers.

I've been looking at many transformers and I'd like to know some recommendations. In general, it's confusing me quite a lot - I'm fine with the other parts of the build right now.

Thanks in advance for help with the transformers

Nov 6, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #1,247 of 2,589
Hi, I decided to build this amp, but I'm a bit confused about the transformers.

I've been looking at many transformers and I'd like to know some recommendations. In general, it's confusing me quite a lot - I'm fine with the other parts of the build right now.

Thanks in advance for help with the transformers

The transformers required are in the BOM.

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #1,248 of 2,589
The transformers required are in the BOM.
I may be blind or I'm missing another BOM? But from the one excel sheet on the diy site, I can't see transformers in there? I'm sorry if it seems dumb

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #1,249 of 2,589
I may be blind or I'm missing another BOM? But from the one excel sheet on the diy site, I can't see transformers in there? I'm sorry if it seems dumb
At the bottom of the BOM there's different tabs. The Lundahl tab is the transformers.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 12.16.06 PM.png

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #1,250 of 2,589

There are tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet for the different part categories, one is for the Lundahl parts.

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #1,251 of 2,589
Nov 6, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #1,252 of 2,589
Oh thank you so much, I did not notice that!
Each tab has parts that you will need to acquire to build the amp. The last tab shows what tubes are compatible with the Amp.

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,253 of 2,589
One more question, is it possible that the rectifier tube could be replaced with something else rather than a tube?

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #1,254 of 2,589
One more question, is it possible that the rectifier tube could be replaced with something else rather than a tube?

To change to solid state rectification would require a redesign of the power supply.

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #1,255 of 2,589
To change to solid state rectification would require a redesign of the power supply.
Oh ok, yeah I'm not going to do that haha
I'm planning to mod the housing a bit, and I'd like to hide the rectifier tube - would the heat be a problem if it would be hidden inside or would actively cooling it be an issue for it?

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,256 of 2,589
Oh ok, yeah I'm not going to do that haha
I'm planning to mod the housing a bit, and I'd like to hide the rectifier tube - would the heat be a problem if it would be hidden inside or would actively cooling it be an issue for it?

Is there a reason in particular you want to hide it? I mean, it does get very hot and would be better off being outside of the chassis. If you're going to put it inside you have to make sure it's very well ventilated.

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #1,257 of 2,589
Is there a reason in particular you want to hide it? I mean, it does get very hot and would be better off being outside of the chassis. If you're going to put it inside you have to make sure it's very well ventilated.
It's mostly about the looks since the ones I can get of the 5AR4 type from JJ locally (Slovakia) are really tall at nearly 10cm. I'd overall like to make the chassis smaller and fitting the rectifier tube with it looking good is quite a challange.

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,258 of 2,589
It's mostly about the looks since the ones I can get of the 5AR4 type from JJ locally (Slovakia) are really tall at nearly 10cm. I'd overall like to make the chassis smaller and fitting the rectifier tube with it looking good is quite a challange.

Well, good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back