AKG K550 vs ATH-M50 - Vocals
Dec 27, 2017 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

malifact

500+ Head-Fier
I have been looking for a pair of decent headphones for home use and think I have narrowed it down to one of these two. Which would be better for vocals, particularly female vocals? Also, do either of them have a generally energetic / lively sound as opposed to smooth? I believe they are both quite bright, but that doesn't bother me. I would be using them unamped with my computer and hifi system. Thanks.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 11
You should try them yourself, but for me the k 550 is a much superior headphone to ath m50x. Akg has better separation bigger soundstage, and has a very nice balance over the spectrum. The ath m 50x is a good headphone but in that price range you can buy better colsed ones like the sennheiser hd 569, (in my country the m 50x is int the focal listen price range). I think the m50x is muddy compared to k550.

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 11
While I dont have the K550, I do have the K553 and the M50x, and as far as vocals go, the K553 is the better headphone. It does lack some of the fun of the M50x, mainly in bass presence and sparkle, but is far more even tonally. The M50x have a noticible dip in the upper midrange starting at about 2,000Hz. This affects female vocals, and listening to Enya's Cursum Perficio, her voice is distinctly further away and darker sounding. Whereas on the K553 her voice has proper body and emotion comparatively.

This isn't a deal breaker for me, but if you are really concerned with correct vocal response I would recommend the K550 (or K553). If you want a more energetic and fun headphone, I'd suggest the M50x. Imho the K553 sounds a bit flat and boring on some songs.

But of course, ymmv :p

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #11 of 11
ATH-50Mx are more "fun" and energetic, in my opinion. And Audio Technica's house sound generally is tailored for female vocals.

Totally agree with smokescreen

Well I don't agree... I think the M50X are horrid for vocals, sounds muddy.

Audio Technica's house sound generally is tailored for female vocals.

Audio Technica doesn't have a "house sound". They have a variety of headphones, all with vastly different sound signatures.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back