AKG K812 Pro, underrated?
May 20, 2017 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 296

ry_goody

100+ Head-Fier
So I have been going on about a year now with AKG K812 pro's and am just supremely impressed with them. Which at first I was hesitant to get them because there were so many mixed reviews and complaints about them. But they are by far and above my favorite ultra high end.

I only have Audeze LCD-XC and HD800's to compare to, but compared to those the AKG K812 Pro beats them no question.

I understand why the K812's get mixed reviews, and that is because they are picky picky picky and so so revealing. I now have them running through a Schiit Lyr and Schiit Bifrost, and the difference between the stock tubes, and an alternative tube set, and the PSST solid state tubes is huge through the K812's. Some songs are absolutely unlistenable on the PSST and alternate tube set, they produce painful treble and ruin songs. But the stock Lyr tubes match the K812's very well.

Even with well matched dac, amp and tubes. Some songs, most songs still sound bad on the K812 pro's.

Which most people would say, what crazy person would buy, and what crazy company would manufacture a pair of headphones that are so detailed, so revealing that most amps, most dacs and most songs sound terrible through them?

Well, Me and AKG :D

The songs that are good through the AKG K812's are so so so so good. To me it is the absolute top tier. Getting the K812's, matched dac, amp, tubes and album well mastered for them. This is like the 8k of audio, it is the HD of HD. Only the most supremely well produced and well designed dac/amps show off the K812's. It is a radical minority of tracks that deserve to be played through such a setup. But for the songs that match it, it brings up to a level beyond what anything else can.

I basically now have a K812 music collection that I reserve for when I really want to just sink into music and be immersed, because those albums on the k812 are better than anything to me. For everything else I have my Audeze's which mask things a bit more.

So some albums that really shine for the K812's. Basically any of the 24-bit masters from this label:
https://ultimae.bandcamp.com

There are also three albums by a guy named 'Solar Fields', the album are called Red, Green and Blue. Not 24-bit, but they are mastered in such a way that is supreme through the K812's.

Also to actually talk about the K812's, the thing about them that is so good. Spatial and depth! The ability for them to recreate 3D spatial depth is beyond anything else I've heard, but albums must be produced in a particular way to do this.

In a way I am a bit saddened the K812's aren't heralded as amazing by all. It makes me worry that more K812 like headphones won't be made as much. That manufacturers will dumb down and make their headphones less revealing in order to cover up bad amps, dacs and recordings. Personally I would rather headphone companies keep pushing to make headphones as revealing as possible. Then music, dacs and amps are created to keep up with that level of revealing.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 296
People got biased about the K812 since that old guy (bad hearing?!) from a youtube channel made a bad review. Me personly I haven't heard it but am very curious and a bit dissapointed with my HD800 in the bass region.

Try K812 before buying if you have the chance, while the bass is slightly fuller than on HD800 it's still relatively close.
Tesla T1.1 is warmer and just a tad more punchy in the bass region retaining some nice treats of HD800 and K812.

May 21, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 296
Try K812 before buying if you have the chance, while the bass is slightly fuller than on HD800 it's still relatively close.
Tesla T1.1 is warmer and just a tad more punchy in the bass region retaining some nice treats of HD800 and K812.

Hmmm in that case I might just stick with my HD800 and get planars to complement it.. thank you.

May 21, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 296
Hmmm in that case I might just stick with my HD800 and get planars to complement it.. thank you.
Sounds like a good plan. Check the Elear as well.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 296
So I have been going on about a year now with AKG K812 pro's and am just supremely impressed with them. Which at first I was hesitant to get them because there were so many mixed reviews and complaints about them. ..........

In a way I am a bit saddened the K812's aren't heralded as amazing by all..............

I've a pair on loan for almost two weeks and yes they are quite special....currently enjoying them over my HD800S....find they give me just that little bit extra clarity and insight into the recording....image and depth are more precise...very well balanced overall ...and most importantly quite musical IMHO .......a satisfying listen...

.......actually contrary to popular opinion there are quite a few positive reviews which in fact way out number the negative ones which really get hung up on a point or two of which many have not experienced. I sourced out the problematic tracks mentioned in TH's review... waited in anticipation but nothing reared its ugly head either though my Bryston combo or the FIIO X3II/S.M.S.L. sApI.

But nothing like a well kept secret and yes more should give them a try...with an open mind. ....:)

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 296
i had them for few weeks and returned them ,,

i didnt like the tone ,, Celine Dion sounded off & deferent on them + it was very boring headphone ,, not sure why ..

although it had very nice sound stage , imaging , bass , details, Air ,, etc...

i think it is deigned for mix and pro use only ..

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 296
People got biased about the K812 since that old guy (bad hearing?!) from a youtube channel made a bad review. Me personly I haven't heard it but am very curious and a bit dissapointed with my HD800 in the bass region.

this person didn't because I auditioned it before that old guy's review was published. guess I must have bad hearing too because I felt that the hd800 outperformed it. the k812 did have more bass presence as I recall. in response to the op, I don't know whether it's underrated or not but I was disappointed by it tbh. it was selling for the msrp at that time. I might feel differently about it now that the price appears to have dropped considerably.

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 296
The AKG K812 ($1500) was way too expensive in comparison to the HD 800 ($999) back then.

Prices have probably changed nowadays as the HD 800 has increased in price and the AKG K812 dropped.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #14 of 296
Actually, the HD800 and K812 were MSR priced about the same ($1,500.00) back in 2013-2014, when the AKG K812 came out.
They have both dropped around $400.00 to $500.00 since then, if you shop around for the best prices.
They are both usually priced around $1,000.00 to $1,100.00 or so on Amazon...
Well, looking at it just now, the K812 is actually more expensive than the HD800 right now. Lol.
The HD800 price mainly dropped, at most retailers, only when the HD800 S came out.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #15 of 296
i had them for few weeks and returned them ,,

i didnt like the tone ,, Celine Dion sounded off & deferent on them + it was very boring headphone ,, not sure why ..

although it had very nice sound stage , imaging , bass , details, Air ,, etc...

i think it is deigned for mix and pro use only ..

Totally understandable, same applies to speaker manufactures, Dynaudio have a consumer and pro line (I’ve owned both) but not many consumers go shopping for studio monitors for their living room even though both are extremely capable at reproducing the recorded audio signal. The pro series can be brutally honest while the in home versions are much more palatable, my preferences fall somewhere in the middle but lean more toward the pro.

But the 812s are a precision instrument IMHO, coming from 50 years of headphone listening, through which I'm discovering I can fully enjoy Bach’s Flute Sonatas or the Chemical Brothers. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back