AKG new headphone K545?
Nov 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #241 of 1,753
I just ordered a set from Razordog. I've never even tried any AKG headphones before, but these sound like they might be what I'm looking for. Now the waiting for delivery... 
smile_phones.gif

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #242 of 1,753
Just a head-up.

Razordog is having a $50 instant rebate and the k545 are included. So that's $199 + free shipping to US. Pretty good deal on such a new can.

Too bad I'm in Canada and can't take advantage of this deal!

Cheers

All you lose is free shipping, Razordog will sell to Canadians. That is how i bought both my KEF headphones.

Great news that they are now selling these!!! :)

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #244 of 1,753
I hope you do HiFiGuy528 your videos are great and it would be great to have more reviews.

I bought an LG G2 yesterday and it is an excellent option between my Nokia 920 and my ipad mini. Sonically it is right between the slightly cold midrange sucked out 920 and the almost dark ipad. I am glad i decided to give it a try, it is my first android phone.

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #245 of 1,753
In the interest of full disclosure I have updated my review thread and Headgear review to reflect the fact that AKG ended up gifting this headphone to me about a week after I finished my review. Very nice of them to do that as I was NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO RETURNING THEM!
L3000.gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #249 of 1,753
Wow, bass light is not what I am hearing LOL. I have at time wondered if I needed to call these bass head cans. Straight from a portable device they are strong but not over bearing. From my Audioengine D1 they are strong enough in the bass I know some will not like them. In both cases I would say they are north of neutral. The treble is clean and well represented though as is the midrange in my opinion.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #250 of 1,753
OK, I just listened to the review and the reviewer strikes me as a consumer oriented person with limited experience at least technically speaking. I think he might be on the polar opposite extreme from Chudaliscious with her being used to very high end gear for the extreme enthusiast and him coming from the very bass heavy consumer oriented market. This shows where the headphone fits very well. Those who have invested a lot in higher end gear and have an ear to hear the finer nuances in their music will likely find the K545 to "heavy handed" for their liking. For those used to the beats type of bass oriented sound, these will come across as bass light and to high pitched. For anyone who has moved on from the consumer oriented sound but wishing to still have a bit of a bass fix without losing out on the midrange, treble, and sound stage of a better headphone then the K545 is as close to perfect as I have heard. It has sacrificed some of what made the K550 so special but in doing so has become a special headphone in it's own right. I also think it's bass level is necessary in many portable listening environments due to additional outside noise as well.

I sure am looking forward to hearing some more head-fi members opinions on this headphone. I suspect like all things there will be some who disagree with my assessment but I also think there will be a lot of people with a big old grin on their face too :).

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #251 of 1,753
  OK, I just listened to the review and the reviewer strikes me as a consumer oriented person with limited experience at least technically speaking. I think he might be on the polar opposite extreme from Chudaliscious with her being used to very high end gear for the extreme enthusiast and him coming from the very bass heavy consumer oriented market. This shows where the headphone fits very well. Those who have invested a lot in higher end gear and have an ear to hear the finer nuances in their music will likely find the K545 to "heavy handed" for their liking. For those used to the beats type of bass oriented sound, these will come across as bass light and to high pitched. For anyone who has moved on from the consumer oriented sound but wishing to still have a bit of a bass fix without losing out on the midrange, treble, and sound stage of a better headphone then the K545 is as close to perfect as I have heard. It has sacrificed some of what made the K550 so special but in doing so has become a special headphone in it's own right. I also think it's bass level is necessary in many portable listening environments due to additional outside noise as well.

I sure am looking forward to hearing some more head-fi members opinions on this headphone. I suspect like all things there will be some who disagree with my assessment but I also think there will be a lot of people with a big old grin on their face too :).

I agree: If the guy doesn't even know that mW stands for milli watt of power (from the spec sheet he was reading off) then it does not bode well for his understanding of headphones

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #252 of 1,753
After many listening sessions, I just could not justify keeping them and back the k545s went. They looked great and sounded ok and I would wager many will enjoy their sound. However, if you love the 550/551, and have some nearby to A/B, I would be interested to hear your feedback on these as it was no surprise (if you read this thread) that I found these were quite different in flavor.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #253 of 1,753
I can see if you love the K550 sound that this will be too big a departure. It's funny how we have one reviewer saying they have no bass and only highs like the guy in the video and then someone like yourself who is coming from higher end gear and the K550 who is just not impressed. It just shows how vast the tastes and experiences are and how there is no right or wrong, just different tastes. I hope you find the right portable for you if the K551 isn't quite it.

For me I really love this headphone, maybe more than any headphone I have owned before or at the least more than any portable headphone. I still love my modded Q701 and they will continue to be my open headphone of choice for now unless I am in a position to audition the K712 or 812 at some point and can afford them (assuming I am impressed which is a high probability). But I am done searching for a portable headphone and have also settled on an IEM of choice as well, opting for comfort and isolation over high resolution sound (Bose QC20). So for the first time in my years on head-fi I am pretty much content and don't feel the need to try the next headphone on the horizon as strongly as I used to.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #255 of 1,753
Just sitting and listening to Pink Floyd - Don't Leave me Now and enjoying it's bassy piano/synthesizer notes, followed by Miles Davis - Concierto de Aranjuez from Sketches in Spain and enjoying the trumpet and delicate cymbal work. Both genres equally enjoyable and well represented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back