All in one up to £500
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Death_Block

1000+ Head-Fier
May consider higher if the jump in performance is truly exceptional.
So far I've narrowed it to:
-ifi idsd BL signature
-topping dx5
-sabaj a20d
-zen dac with maybe a zen can
-Xduoo XD05

Considering
- RME adi-2
Will be used in the work office with option to transport it home on weekends. (Not a deal breaker if not).
I like an xbass feature to play with but not necessary. Wide soundstage with excellent mids for hard rock.
Unfortunately I can't test anything so have to buy from reviews and impressions so please ad in your thoughts or anything that's slid past my consideration :)
Will be used to drive:
HD700
Ibasso SR2
Beyerdynamic amiron home
Shure srh1840
Or can consider other headphones for an excellent pairing.

Music will be streamed at max fidelity from yet to be chosen source.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 4
I've had the DX5 and it's really great quality, and I have 3 pairs of Sennheiser HD700's so I can tell you for certain the DX5 will power them just fine. The Amiron Home no problem either, and the 1840 isn't much more demanding than that, high gain will be no problem. I have an SMSL D400 coming in this Wednesday, with 3 watts into 32 ohm it's a big power difference. The SMSL DO300EX sounds amazing, but limited on power, so I'm sure the D400 will sound great also since that's the main difference between them.

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 4
I've looked up the smsl m500 (the original) or futile up against the mkiii?

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 4
I've had the DX5 and it's really great quality, and I have 3 pairs of Sennheiser HD700's so I can tell you for certain the DX5 will power them just fine. The Amiron Home no problem either, and the 1840 isn't much more demanding than that, high gain will be no problem. I have an SMSL D400 coming in this Wednesday, with 3 watts into 32 ohm it's a big power difference. The SMSL DO300EX sounds amazing, but limited on power, so I'm sure the D400 will sound great also since that's the main difference between them.
Eager to hear any sound changes if any on the D400 when you get it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back