ALO Jumbo Cryo Dock vs. Sarn Industries Agcrystal
Jan 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Luckyleo

Headphoneus Supremus
Let me start by saying that I've never really paid attention to the LOD portion of my portable rig. Instead I've spent quite a bit of time experimenting and investing in portable amps. Most recently I’ve been using my 160 GB Ipod with a RSA 71a amp and UE-11 monitors. All my music is recorded via Apple Lossless. For the last couple years I’ve been using an ALO Jumbo Cyro Dock. I’ve been in audio bliss.

A couple weeks ago just on a lark, I ordered a Sarn Industries Agcrystal LOD. I returned from holiday earlier this week and found the Sarn LOD in the mail waiting for me. I’ve been listening with it for the last couple days. Not having what I would consider “golden ears” I didn’t expect much of a difference between the ALO LOD I’ve been using. As a matter of fact I didn’t expect ANY differences. I was amazingly wrong! I say amazingly wrong because there are significant, easily heard differences.

Let me start by saying that I strongly prefer the Sarn Industries LOD. Here are a few of the differences that just stood out.

1)The vertical sound stage is significantly larger
2)The horizontal sound stage and instrument separation is noticeably improved.
3)High end treble is noticeably more pronounced
4)The base is less pronounced, but given the sound signature of the UE-11’s (discussed extensively elsewhere) this isn’t an issue at all
5)The level of detail of the presentation seems to be increased vs. the ALO product.

I’m sure that many of you don’t believe that the LOD makes much difference. I used to be one of you until this week. I know that Sarn Industries is a new player to the LOD market, but I have to tell you that I think eventually they will become major players. I’ve attached a link to their site for your review.

SARN-Industries | Welcome

Leo

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 25
I am not surprised. I have been playing with different type of cables for 2 years and some are made to make differences. Now I am totally in love with a German manufactured 5N Silver (solid core) that seems to be able to retain brilliance normally associated with silver yet smooth sounding at the same time.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 25
Some pictures will be nice.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 25
do you have a picture on this?

the website don't have pictures.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe Sarn Industries owned by Germania? I'm looking at same cable.

it is indeed. Check out her signature.

Now wonder if she can make a cable for the Imod?? Will have to email the site

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 25
You say, you haven't "Golden Hears" and your are able to listen a better quality with this new Brand, compare to Top ALO cables .....
STRANGE.
It's look like advertising.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You say, you haven't "Golden Hears" and your are able to listen a better quality with this new Brand, compare to Top ALO cables .....
STRANGE.
It's look like advertising.

Rico,

I appreciate your skepticism but rest assured that I have absolutely no affiliation or particular preference for either ALO or Sarn Industries. They both seem like good companies. Up till this week I've only owned ALO docks and have never been dissatisfied. When I say I don't have golden ears, that's my opinion. However, the differences I'm speaking about don't seem to be subtle to me. This can be attributable to either the fact there are major differences between these two products, or maybe I'm wrong and I do have golden ears.

The great thing about this forum is that this is a place to state my opinion. Take it or leave it. Believe it or not. Think about it or ignore it. It's all good.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 25
OK Luckyleo.
Sorry for my skepticism.
The only ways to have an opinion is to test this new cables (witch are at contained prices).
But sure, uou must have Golden hears.

Have you some pics about it ?

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 25
certainly looks like an add to me; whether you have any affiliation or not, perhaps a more measured review might help, but as it is, not a lot of content,

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
certainly looks like an add to me; whether you have any affiliation or not, perhaps a more measured review might help, but as it is, not a lot of content,

Qusp,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I'm like a duck out of water when it comes to reviewing. My contributions to head-fi tend to run along the lines of "x2!" or "hope you enjoy your purchase", or "defending ones' right to their opinions". As it stands, I wish I could provide more info. I think that my main point and hope for discussion was that I was surprised that a change in LOD made a significant change in my listening experience. I would have thought that it would have been virtually non-existent. I've read others who claim that LOD's are a waste of money. I guess the take away from the write-up is that at least to my ears there are noticeable differences between LOD's and interested people should explore this area when determining the best way to upgrade their rigs.

As time goes on perhaps I'll feel more comfortable in the reviewer's role.

Leo

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 25
Thanks for the feedback .
LOL
You don't say Again :
The great thing about this forum is that this is a place to state my opinion. Take it or leave it. Believe it or not. Think about it or ignore it. It's all good.

Maybe Supremus make you affraid .
Leave it, better choice.

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 25
The replies look strange to me.
The OP only has some excitements to have something that he considers better than the other "awesome" ones. Can't he do that? Does he really need "golden ears" to hear the difference?
The fanboy effect makes me sick.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #14 of 25
Seriously...

I thought he did post a review of what was different with regards to soundstage and the like in his first post.

Needless to say, ALO won't be getting any of my business for their overpriced stuff.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 25
This place is getting to be a hang out for a bunch of prima donas and self righteous buffoons! The OP (Luckyleo) bought a product w/ his money and he liked what he heard and posted so here.

Out come two members telling him it is an advertisement and trying to elicit a nasty response. Luckily the OP (Luckyleo - pun intended) was smart and responded in a very polite way defusing the situation. However the same two individuals continued w/ their implications and attack.

Luckyleo, good for you if you like what you hear.
icon10.gif
None of us know what it is because we are not you.
wink.gif
Hope your new toy brings you many hours of enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back