ALO/ Red Wine Audio Desk Top Headphone Amp (Amphora) W/ PHOTOS
Feb 17, 2009 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 203
[size=large]Introducing the THE AMPHORA by ALO and Red Wine Audio[/size]

-- Solid wood (Padauk and Walnut) that is CNC routed, laser engraving, with a gorgeous look and feel, and highest quality.

The ALO Audio Amphora will feature the Red Wine Audio Isabella Headphone Amplifier board, along with the following premium parts and features:

--Goldpoint Stepped Attenuator volume control and silver-satin aluminum knob (Goldpoint Level Controls)
-- 2 inputs (Vampire RCAs, and 1/8" stereo jack) and mini-toggle input select switch
-- Hi/Lo gain switch
-- Vcap OIMP input capacitors (Teflon Capacitors | Oil Capacitors by V-Cap)
-- 1/4" stereo and 1/8" stereo output jacks on the front panel, no need for adapter plugs!
-- Preamp RCA outputs on the rear panel (YES - it can be used as a battery powered, home audio preamp)
-- Ohno Continuous Cast Copper 22awg solid core wiring in PVC insulation used throughout.
-- Li-ion battery powered, rapid-speed auto charger. Universal input voltage (100 - 240Vac) for charger.
-- Continuous play time between charges: > 24 hours.
-- Can drive headphones with impedance as low as 24-ohms
-- The approx. dimesions will be 7" wide x 5" deep x 2.5" tall (not a "pocket amp," but still fairly portable and makes for a great desktop amp!)
-- Made here in the USA (enclosure and installation of parts made by ALO Audio in Portland, OR - and all wiring and testing by RWA in Meriden, CT)
-- Limited edition - only 100 are going to be made and each will have a serial number "x of 100"

-- OPTIONAL iMod / iPod dock on the top. With the supplied adapter plate, one can use it with any iPod, iPhone, iPod Touch, Nano, etc.
For 5G/5.5G iMod customers - just plug it in to the dock. No need for ALO iMod dock cables or dock - it is all built-in with the Vcaps! It will be a dream combo with the iMod!

* Will only be sold direct from ALO Audio (along with package deals with iMods, headphones and cabling sold by ALO Audio): ALO Audio » Home

Pricing:

Standard Version: $995 plus SH comes with charger and battery

iMod/iPod version: $1245 Plus SH also comes with charger and Battery. iPod/iPhone adapter plates not included, I do have a assortment of these plates if you do not already have one.

Vinnie and I are very excited about the release of the Amphora, and are confident that our customers will discover it to be the finest made, finest sounding headphone amp in its price range!

We will be sending Kent ("alwayswantmore") the final prototype of the limited-edition, ALO Audio "Amphora" headphone amp. It will be making its debut at Southern CanFest 2009 on February 21st, thanks to Kent! http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/of...2009-a-360873/

Thank you for all your interest and support. The Amphora will be available soon enough! Until these here are some photos.

Thank you
Ken

Amphora_1.jpg

Amphora_back_1.jpg

Amphora_Grado_offfocus.jpg

Amphora_top.jpg

Amphora_inlay.jpg

Please stay tuned for more details.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 17, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 203
Great pics, the amp looks amazing!

I have a question though. If you choose a non-iMod version and wanted to use your iMod with it later, would you simply need to use the iMod LOD to connect? Using the iMod vcap dock in conjunction would be redundant since it already contains vcaps right? Would this round about way of wiring affect the SQ? I only ask, because the amp looks too damn sexy to put a hole on the top.

PS I call first dibs
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great pics, the amp looks amazing!

I have a question though. If you choose a non-iMod version and wanted to use your iMod with it later, would you simply need to use the iMod LOD to connect? Using the iMod vcap dock in conjunction would be redundant since it already contains vcaps right? Would this round about way of wiring affect the SQ? I only ask, because the amp looks too damn sexy to put a hole on the top.

PS I call first dibs
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Lamenthe,

If you choose the standard Amphora (i.e., without the iMod/iPod version) and want to use your 5g/5.5 iMod - you can use a standard LOD to connect. The Amphora already has dc blocking caps on the input (we are using premium Vcaps). The Amphora requires the input caps to block dc voltage from going back to the source (from the amp) - so the Vcaps will be there for both standard and iPod/iMod versions.

-----------

The Amphora with the iMod/iPod option on the top is ideal because you bypass the iMod dock cabling and the connector (RCA or 1/8" input jacks) on the back. You would simply plug in your iMod to the dock connector on the top.

We'll also be working on the official webpate for the Amphora.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any shots of the interior?

Interior pics are coming soon....

All,

BTW - the text "Amphora" is not photoshopped in. It is a special inlay into the wood called "mother of pearl." It is very trick!

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 203
Thanks for the prompt response. I will be looking forward to seeing pictures of the ipod/imod version. Hopefully some samples of the other wood type too.

The cost isn't the issue, I just like a nice sleek looking amp, but hopefully my aesthetics won't get in the way of SQ. I have complete faith you guys have pulled it off on both versions.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #8 of 203
Hey Folks

I am working hard right now to complete the Paduke wood versions, the imod/iPhone/ipod version as well as a handful of Special Edition Birds Eye Maple ones, minus one for me
wink_face.gif

As Vinnie said in a previous post the internal photos will be done soon. A lot of engineering and finish work is going into these, lately I hear a lot of companies saying things are "hand built".
rolleyes.gif
We are slowly and deliberately assembling and hand finishing these, and wanted to complete the non ipod/imod versions first. We are working our way through the iMod/ipod versions now though.

I can not stress enough that the Amphora is really optomized for the iMod (ipod versions). Also it sounds amazing with a regular imod, iphone or iTouch as well.

We will get more images up soon thanks all for your support.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 203
look like a beautiful amp Ken and Vinnie now I just need to build up my funds. Ken I thought I heard you say these amps will be limited production. Do you know how limited, or are you wating to see how sales go?

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by slypher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look like a beautiful amp Ken and Vinnie now I just need to build up my funds. Ken I thought I heard you say these amps will be limited production. Do you know how limited, or are you wating to see how sales go?

Hey Slypher,

Thanks!

We are only making 100 of these, all numbered.

Cheers,

Ken

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Slypher,

Thanks!

We are only making 100 of these, all numbered.

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks, guys!

I just received the first unit from Ken (I need to wire it up and ship it to Alwayswantmore for Southern CamJam this weekend: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/of...2009-a-360873/)

It looks even better in person!!! It also FEELS really nice.

Nice work with the enclosure, Ken. I'll take care of the rest!
beerchug.gif

Vinnie

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 203
Great Amp Ken & Vinnie.
Does the Imod version is able to charge the Imod ( like Imod dock stations) ?
If Yes the internal batterie do this job or is only with the charger plug on the wall ?
What is the voltage of the amp ?
12-24 Volts ?

Last question, i have seen that it wasn't a good solution to plug in serial caps in the signal path.
So, if we use it with a regular ipod (with caps inside),what about rollof and the break point ?
Thank you.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 203
Hi Rico67,

Quote:

Does the Imod version is able to charge the Imod ( like Imod dock stations) ?

No - there is no iPod charging feature.

Quote:

What is the voltage of the amp ?

It runs on a 9V.

Quote:

So, if we use it with a regular ipod (with caps inside),what about rollof and the break point ?

The 3dB point is well below 20Hz, so you need not be concerned about any bass rolloff.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #15 of 203
Really nice and tempting amp - I have a question though.

The way I understand it both inputs are run via VCAPs in the signal path. Is this really necessary?
I already own an ALO large cap Imod dock and in that way would have 2 Caps in the signal path. For this setup no caps in the amp would be the preferable solution I guess. And - already owning the large dock - I would not want to go for the amp with built in iMod dock.
As well I would have assumed that most standard sources should have caps to protect downstream from dc offset as well.

I'm just wondering if there is a chance of an amp without caps in the input signal path and if indeed that would be a benefit or make sense in your view.

I am happy for any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back