ALO SLA Battery Pack
Jun 20, 2008 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RandyWyoming

New Head-Fier
Below I have pasted Ken's announcement of this product. I am using it with the Sony D25 and am just thrilled with the combination. The build quality on the battery pack is excellent. I am surprised to find that it ups the volume output of the player. Why, I have no idea, but it helps since I am using a passive preamp with 0 gain. I have not had an occasion to try running it for 12 hours straight, though a couple days ago I accidentally left it on all day with no apparent ill effects. Currently my only source for music is CD, so it is a welcome relief to finally be completely off the AC grid. My amp is the RW 30.2, a superb product. Vinnie Rossi clued me in on the existence of ALO audio, the availability of the D25 (since I told Vinnie I was using a fairly recent Panasonic portable CDP as my source) and the fact that he was helping Ken develop the battery pack (after I asked him advice on how to hook the player to a SLA battery.) I have terrible AC here, and after years of using one brand of Power Conditioner after another, a long and sad experience, the last being a PS Audio PPP which worked to a certain extent but not near well enough, I got the 30.2, the D25 and sold the PPP, my two mono block power amps, and a very expensive CDP. The Sony may not have the refinement of the one I sold, I miss SACD and remote control, but I don't have to plug anything except the chargers into the wall which makes all the difference. Anyway, I am tremendously satisfied with my Red Wine/ALO products. ( I am convinced that much of what is called digititis, lousy digital sound, is the fault of poor AC.)

ALO SLA Battery Power Plant Box This is a Sealed Lead Acid battery that you can run your and 12v PCDP AND or 12v headphone amp off of for 12+ hours. Then recharge. This is being made for our NOS Sony D25s CD players but it will run anything 12V. I am including several DC power jacks out, a changing unit for any country. The box is going to be very nice, extruded aluminum anodized black with a red charging LED lamp. We are in the process of building these but are still waiting for the anodizing to be complete.

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi Randy,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your Signature 30.2 + ALO battery powered D-25 combo!

Quote:

I am surprised to find that it ups the volume output of the player. Why, I have no idea, but it helps since I am using a passive preamp with 0 gain.

The stock battery is only around 3 or 4 volts (I forgot the exact voltage, but it is low) and requires the use of dc to dc conversion inside of the D-25 to step the voltage up to a level required by the D25-s dac and output stage.

The 12V SLA is fed directly in, so there is more voltage at the output stage (for greater signal swing), no internal dc-dc conversion (so no internal switching noise), more output current, and much longer play time between charges
cool.gif

Thanks for your post and happy listening!

Vinnie

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyWyoming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Below I have pasted Ken's announcement of this product. I am using it with the Sony D25 and am just thrilled with the combination. The build quality on the battery pack is excellent. I am surprised to find that it ups the volume output of the player. Why, I have no idea, but it helps since I am using a passive preamp with 0 gain.

Randy - The battery should be fine as long as its not being played continuous over 12 or so hours. So if you have it switched to "on" with the red lamp on for longer than this but it was not actually playing a CD in a loop you should be A-OK. Thanks for the post and also thanks for Vinnie for helping with the tech answer.

I will post some photos here when I can get a chance.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 21, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 5
Vinnie and Ken, thanks for the replies. Battery power is the answer. No more gaso..., I mean AC mucking up the works. Ken, I left it on with no music playing, amp off, for 10 or 12 hours or so, maybe longer. I just have to get used to turning off two switches after years of leaving everything on all the time. BTW, my electricity bill dropped about $15 per month since I no longer have the two big amps running all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back