Alternative to beats by dre
Jun 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

They are a new headphone, so reviews won't come out too quickly (or as large in number).  As far as I'm aware of right now, I'm the second person on the forums with a pair of these.  No in-depth impressions have been given, keep an eye on this thread though: http://www.head-fi.org/t/610966/new-pioneer-se-mj751-bass-head-headphones

Make that one of three people as I just got a pair of these about a month ago.  HiFiGuy528 has the Japanese version I think.  I have the STEEZ-branded U.S. ones like yours.  I must admit though that I haven't been able to spend nearly as much time as I'd like to with them - much less burn them in.  I've just been way too busy lately.  But from what I have heard, you were pretty right on.

@dcsquirrel - I wholeheartedly second these.  They offer much of what people like about Beats, with far less drawbacks.  If you're interested, tinyman392 really did put up a nice and thorough write-up about the 751s in the thread he linked to.  And with the exception of the P3 and Tracks comparisons (mainly because I have not heard them), I pretty much concur with his assessment.

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #32 of 40
Make that one of three people as I just got a pair of these about a month ago.  HiFiGuy528 has the Japanese version I think.  I have the STEEZ-branded U.S. ones like yours.  I must admit though that I haven't been able to spend nearly as much time as I'd like to with them - much less burn them in.  I've just been way too busy lately.  But from what I have heard, you were pretty right on.

@dcsquirrel - I wholeheartedly second these.  They offer much of what people like about Beats, with far less drawbacks.  If you're interested, tinyman392 really did put up a nice and thorough write-up about the 751s in the thread he linked to.  And with the exception of the P3 and Tracks comparisons (mainly because I have not heard them), I pretty much concur with his assessment.

Nice, welcome to the party. Keep listening to them, things do change :) EG, they are a lot less mid-heavy now :wink:

OT: love your avatar.

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #33 of 40
Yeah, I have some pretty high hopes for these after a decent burn-in.  I'm tempted to just let it run through my test suite for about 40 hours or so with the bass wheel turned up to max (so that both drivers get worked).  I wonder how HiFiGuy528 likes his so far.

Oh, and for anyone into the whole "look-at-meee" factor, I just want to point out that I've gotten more looks over these than people who wear Beats.  This is particularly true whenever I mess with the bass wheel.  I guess it's the whole novelty factor in seeing something new? 

OT:  Thanks.  I wouldn't be so blunt about it if it weren't for the fact that - upon questioning - every single person I've ever comes across has said that their ultimate reason for getting was that they were cool or the shiznit.  I did give them a chance myself - had a pair of Studios and a pair of SoloHDs at one point - returned them both within a few weeks.  I understand the need for more bass.  I feel it deep in my loins on occasion.  It's the distortion and muted mids/highs that I can't live with.

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #34 of 40
Yeah, I have some pretty high hopes for these after a decent burn-in.  I'm tempted to just let it run through my test suite for about 40 hours or so with the bass wheel turned up to max (so that both drivers get worked).  I wonder how HiFiGuy528 likes his so far.

Oh, and for anyone into the whole "look-at-meee" factor, I just want to point out that I've gotten more looks over these than people who wear Beats.  This is particularly true whenever I mess with the bass wheel.  I guess it's the whole novelty factor in seeing something new? 

OT:  Thanks.  I wouldn't be so blunt about it if it weren't for the fact that - upon questioning - every single person I've ever comes across has said that their ultimate reason for getting was that they were cool or the shiznit.  I did give them a chance myself - had a pair of Studios and a pair of SoloHDs at one point - returned them both within a few weeks.  I understand the need for more bass.  I feel it deep in my loins on occasion.  It's the distortion and muted mids/highs that I can't live with.

That's a good idea. I think the pads breaking in does a lot too though. Can't be sure, so I did both. And yes, I'll agree, the flashyness of these is above the roof. I think the fact that they are shinier than Beats plays a roll as well.

The bass on these can actually get pretty high, not gob-smacking boxing match punches, but decent impact.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:
That's a good idea. I think the pads breaking in does a lot too though. Can't be sure, so I did both. And yes, I'll agree, the flashyness of these is above the roof. I think the fact that they are shinier than Beats plays a roll as well.
The bass on these can actually get pretty high, not gob-smacking boxing match punches, but decent impact.

Oh right, totally forgot about the pads.  I just figured that since they were fairly supple already, they wouldn't have to much to give over time.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to "suffer" through listening to them to break in the pads as well . . . lolz.
biggrin.gif
  Overall, I must say that I do like them so far.  They aren't the second coming or anything, but they do what they're supposed to do quite well.

On a side note, the OCD in me cries out for some kind of markings so that I can remember wheel positions more easily.  At least headband clicks can be counted.  But the darn wheel is so silky smooth that it makes me want to tear my hair our sometimes. 
wink.gif
  So far, I've just set it to the point where the ear cup hinges and left it there under normal circumstances, but I do wish there was a better way.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #36 of 40
Oh right, totally forgot about the pads.  I just figured that since they were fairly supple already, they wouldn't have to much to give over time.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to "suffer" through listening to them to break in the pads as well . . . lolz. :D   Overall, I must say that I do like them so far.  They aren't the second coming or anything, but they do what they're supposed to do quite well.

On a side note, the OCD in me cries out for some kind of markings so that I can remember wheel positions more easily.  At least headband clicks can be counted.  But the darn wheel is so silky smooth that it makes me want to tear my hair our sometimes.  :wink:   So far, I've just set it to the point where the ear cup hinges and left it there under normal circumstances, but I do wish there was a better way.

That's the default spot mine came at :p I'm at a quarter of the max it'll give (I keep it lower).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back