Amp and Cable suggestions
Aug 19, 2001 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Ctn

Headphoneus Supremus
What do you think would be good for me?

I have(soon) a Denon DCD-775AR cd player.
What amp and cables would be good?

budget for amp is about 300 US.

there's soo many cables out there that im soooo lost

Aug 19, 2001 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 29
You have the HD590s, which is a Sennheiser, which is a tad bright, so a tube amp would suit you well...

Not sure for <$300 now... a while ago you could get an MG Head for <$300 but I don't think so now, maybe new?

There still is the Creek OBH-11 but I'm not sure how good of a match they would be.

I'd worry about interconnects much later... but check out cables at www.audioadvisor.com (MIT Terminators are good and cheap, like a T4).

Aug 19, 2001 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 29
i love bright treble as long as its not distorted
smily_headphones1.gif

how much are tube amps and how do they differ from normal amps?

im a newbie hehe

how do they connect to the cdp? like a normal amp?

Aug 19, 2001 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 29
There have been some 'budget' tube amps lately, the Xcans v2 (now discontinued) and the MG Head (now only the upgraded $330 version available from Headroom). These generally are best suited for Sennheisers.

The Creek solid state amp is regarded as good, goes for $200 from Headroom (the upgraded one, OBH-11SE is $350 but some state that the MG Head is a better value). However it might not be a great match with your Senns.

I'd try and get a used tube amp, you can find MG Heads at www.audiogon.com

As for cables, they connect via 75 ohm (actually I dont think this matters) RCA terminated cables to your CDP. For starters, I'd suggest MIT Terminators (which ever one fits your budget... they do well on relieving a bright system apparantely).

Also, what CDP are you using? Maybe it should be upgraded too...

Aug 19, 2001 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 29
For a decent introduction to the general characteristics of tube equipment vs solid-state equipment, read this article.

Also, the type of connections accepted by any piece of equipment has nothing to do w/ whether it is tube-based or solid-state. In general, you can assume the connections will be the same.

Same goes for cost. There are expensive solid-state and tube amps, just as there are inexpensive solid-state and tube amps. The MG Head is probably the cheapest tube amp you will find, short of DIY and maybe the X-Cans V2.

chych, just how much smoothing do the MITs do? From Ctn's comments, it sounds like he wants to keep the bright sound, and the MITs might be a bit much. I would say DH Labs BL-1, but that might be overkill on the highs... Actually, RadioShack Gold cables would probably work just fine.

And completely unrelated... 500++=501, yea!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2001 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 29
You don't use 75 ohm cables. Those are typically video or digital coaxial cables. Audio interconnects are typically of TP (twisted pair) variety. If you don't particularly understand the difference, go for something affordable at first. Especially if you aren't clear on how your system sounds(cause you don't have it yet), and what you want out of it.

Aug 19, 2001 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 29
If he wants the bright highs, than probably another cable would do (like, silver?)... I've heard from a post on Audioasylum that the cables you chose to reduce brightness would be:

Cardas 300B
MIT Terminator
Transparent cables

The Cardas do smoothen out nicely... but they don't seem to take away highs, simply smoothen it... but I've never got a chance to hear them on my bright DT831s (butter knife!!!).

Aug 19, 2001 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 29
thanx for the inputs

what are interconnects?
there are optical, coax and rca outputs fromt he cdp

what's the difference between twisted pair, coax, optical, transperant cables sound quality and price wise?

im going for medium range eq

about the amp...would a speaker amp with headphone output suffice? or do i need a dedicated headphone amp?

so many options hehe

would this amp be suitible?
http://www.campsiehifi.com.au/Denon/...s/pma-655r.htm

also interesting read about the tube vs normal eq
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Also, what CDP are you using? Maybe it should be upgraded too...

i have a new denon dcd-775ar...i just ordered it and should b in soon

Aug 19, 2001 at 9:47 AM Post #9 of 29
Ctn.
Tubes vs transistors is an endless debate. Don't worry about it. Both principles give nice results when implemented carefully.
For HD590 I'd recommend Creek OBH11 amp. Your Senns are brighter than HD580/600. X-canv2 is also on the brighter side of neutral and the two can IMO produce overly bright and fatiguing sound. If you plan to upgrade to HD580/600 later X-can is worth it. The combo is magnificent. The Creek on the other hand has a smooth but detailed treble that would work nicely with your Senns.

Interconnect is a cable used to connect source to amp or pre to power amp. In your case just RCA to RCA audio cable.
Start with some cheaper interconnects such as QED QNEX1 or Audioquest Sidewinder. Once your system is up and running you can analyze the sound and see if you miss something which a cable upgrade can give you. They don't do miracles. A cable can't really make your system sound better but can prevent it from sounding worse than it could.

Aug 19, 2001 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
What do you think would be good for me?

I have(soon) a Denon DCD-775AR cd player.
What amp and cables would be good?

budget for amp is about 300 US.

there's soo many cables out there that im soooo lost

Hi There for $300, I think yuor choices are for tubes - MG Head DT and solid state - used Xcans and the Creek OBH 11. Maybe the Corda amp is you can DIY.

J

Aug 19, 2001 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 29
Nacher, it's also true that out of all the people on Head-Fi and HeadWize who have ever listened to the X-CANv2, you're the only one who has ever had that experience
wink.gif
I'd be curious to know if you had the same experience with other amps in that range (Creek, Corda, TA) or even with another X-CAN (maybe yours was defective).

However, your recommendation to audition first, or buy with a return guarantee, is always a good one.

Aug 20, 2001 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 29
For 300 total, I would suggest the Creek OBH-11 and for cables some MIT T2s. This combo should go very well with the 590s.

Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back